Path of Trolls from Alesund or Molde?

kandtq

I'm hoping someone can help me decide which port we should do the trip to Trollsigen.

From Alesund:

On this tour you will:

Board your motorcoach and travel approximately 75 minutes across Ålesund, through the scenic Størfjorden and on to the medieval Stordal Church.

Arrive at the Stordal Church for an approximate 15-minute tour that includes historic frescos and rose paintings before reboarding the motorcoach and heading approximately 30 minutes to Valldal.

Spend approximately 30 minutes at Valldal, a valley famous for strawberry and other commercial fruit production, which extends from the fjord in the south to the Trollstigen (Troll Path) in the north. Explore the lower valley area on your own before heading to lunch.

Reboard your coach and travel along the valley and the Trollstigen to the gorgeous Gudbrandsjuvet Gorge for a brief photo stop as you overlook this 16-foot-wide and 80-foot-deep gorge with a foaming river deep below.

Arrive at the Trollstigen view point, where you will have approximately 75 minutes to enjoy the breathtaking views (weather permitting) and purchase lunch or a snack at an additional cost. This is also a great stop to browse for souvenirs.

Reboard your motorcoach and head along the Troll Path road experiencing its 11 hair-pin turns on your way to the Isterdalen Valley passing the 585-foot Stigfoss waterfall on your approximately 60-minute drive to Troll Wall.

Arrive at Troll Wall, the tallest vertical rock face in Europe, for a photo stop and approximately 20 minutes of self-guided exploration. Soaring nearly 3,600 feet (1100 meters), the wall was thought to be unclimbable until a Norwegian and American team scaled it in 1965.

Reboard your motorcoach to continue along the Trollstigen on your approximate 2-hour return to Ålesund.

From Molde:

Board an air-conditioned motorcoach for a short transfer onto a ferry for the approximately 35-minute journey across the beautiful fjord to Vestnes.

Head along the fjord during an approximately 150-minute scenic drive up Skorgedalen valley through Ørskog and Sjøholt. Travel through areas known for their salmon fishing and on to Liabygd, through Valldal and onto the mountain plateau.

Arrive at the plateau and center of the Trolltindene mountain range, where you’ll have approximately one hour of leisure time to purchase lunch and the local café, peruse the shops or explore the amazing viewpoints of the valley below.

Continue down the “Troll Path” for an approximately 45-minute ride with 11 hairpin turns on your way to the Isterdalen Valley. You’ll pass the 585-foot Stigfoss waterfall on your way to Troll Wall.

Arrive at Troll Wall, the tallest vertical rock face in Europe, for a photo stop and approximately 20 minutes of self-guided exploration. Soaring nearly 3,600 feet (1100 meters), the wall was thought to be unclimbable until a Norwegian and American team summited it in 1965.

Head from the Troll Wall down to sea level and along the edge of the fjord for your approximately 50-minute journey to the Åfarnes ferry pier.

Board the ferry for an approximately 20-minute trip to Sølsnes. Once on the other side, conclude the journey with the approximately 40-minute scenic trip back to Molde.

Any advice is appreciated!

If we weren't going on the tour, I think we would walk up Mt. Aksla and walk around town in Alesund, and for Molde, we would probably hike to the Varden viewpoint, and do the Romsdal Museum.

Thank you for your help!

Edited by kandtq

• 1 month later...

kandtq,

Have you made your decision yet? I'm trying to make the same decision. It seems like Alesund has more things we would want to see, so I am leaning towards doing the trip in Molde, but I haven't quite yet committed either way.