Verizon/cell phone use onboard

floralscent

Hello. As we prepare for our Celebrity cruise Sydney to Auckland, I phoned Verizon Wireless to find out about our plan options. I was hoping to share what I learned in hopes that someone with experience can verify or give real-life experience with the information. We don't plan on using our phones much but it is nice to stay somewhat connected since our parents are getting up there in age and we have pets we are leaving at home with a sitter.

We live in the US and were told that purchasing an International plan would be the best plan of action. In doing so, we could send and receive texts, use minutes and data up to the maximum of our Intern'l package before being charged any additional charges. This plan apparently allows you to send/receive texts either on land or onboard the ship without additional charges.

Hmmm, this sounds too good to be true...

Thank you-

Hello. As we prepare for our Celebrity cruise Sydney to Auckland, I phoned Verizon Wireless to find out about our plan options. I was hoping to share what I learned in hopes that someone with experience can verify or give real-life experience with the information. We don't plan on using our phones much but it is nice to stay somewhat connected since our parents are getting up there in age and we have pets we are leaving at home with a sitter.

We live in the US and were told that purchasing an International plan would be the best plan of action. In doing so, we could send and receive texts, use minutes and data up to the maximum of our Intern'l package before being charged any additional charges. This plan apparently allows you to send/receive texts either on land or onboard the ship without additional charges.

Hmmm, this sounds too good to be true...

Thank you-

I travel a lot and use Verizon.

It is too good to be true. You should look at the details for the plan again. It can help with lower cost while on land over straight international roaming. However, it still will be very expensive to call from the ship. Be very careful if you turn your phone on while on the ship!

On land, the cheapest way to use your phone is to get a prepaid SIM card from the local country. This does require your Verizon phone to have the ability to do that. Also, it only really makes sense if you are staying for more than a few days.

Have a great cruise! We are doing the reverse on HAL in March.

I travel a lot and use Verizon.

It is too good to be true. You should look at the details for the plan again. It can help with lower cost while on land over straight international roaming. However, it still will be very expensive to call from the ship. Be very careful if you turn your phone on while on the ship!

On land, the cheapest way to use your phone is to get a prepaid SIM card from the local country. This does require your Verizon phone to have the ability to do that. Also, it only really makes sense if you are staying for more than a few days.

Have a great cruise! We are doing the reverse on HAL in March.

Thank you for your response jmps! I have the iPhone 4 and it doesn't accept sim cards. With your experience, if I have the Verizon international pkg will I be charged roaming fees once on land? I don't mind paying once I am aware of the charges...it's the surprises that i'm not fond of.

You will still be charged an international roaming rate but with the international plan the per minute and data charges will be much lower. You should make sure your phone will work with GSM networks (vs CDMA that VZ uses in the US). The Iphone 4S will work but I don't believe the Iphone 4 will. GSM is used in most places except the US including Australia and New Zealand. I recommend calling VZ and ask them if your phone will work prior to your trip to avoid surprises. They can also give you the rate with and without the plan. These rates are also on their website.

Regards.