Brazilian visa (cruise not starts/ends in Brazil)

cruza

We are planning to take MSC cruise roundtrip from Buenos Aires in February 2017. The itinerary has Brazilian ports. Do we need Brazilian visa if we are planning to take cruise line excursion?

Thanks Mike

We are planning to take MSC cruise roundtrip from Buenos Aires in February 2017. The itinerary has Brazilian ports. Do we need Brazilian visa if we are planning to take cruise line excursion?

Thanks Mike

Even if you aren't planning to leave the ship, I doubt they would let you board initially without a visa if the ship stops in Brazilian ports.

This is the site of the Brazilian Consulate in NYC:

http://novayork.itamaraty.gov.br/pt-br/

They are reputed to be one of the easier/simpler ones to deal with.

Read all the pages on visas very thoroughly and carefully for requirements.

At least you in Brooklyn are close enough to the location.

If you want suggestions for sightseeing in specific ports, I'd be happy to help.

From what I've seen here though, some smaller ports are just beach stops, and any cruise line offered excursions are created just to keep other passengers busy, not because there is anything so significant to see.

Have you thought of a couple of days pre or post cruise to fly to the spectacular falls at Iguazu from Buenos Aires? Easy and well worth it.

(Or perhaps fly into Rio for a few more days of exploring than the cruise might allow (or other interesting parts of Brazil the cruise might not reach) then the falls, and on to Bs.As, from where you could fly, open jaw, back home after the cruise. Or a bit more of Argentina, before or after.)

Edited by VidaNaPraia

• 4 weeks later...

Though not stated, I assume you are US cits. There has been a temporary stay on the need of US cits to obtain a visa/pay reciprocity fee to enter Argentina.https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294266-i977-k9440112-Reciprocity_fee_suspended_for_US_passport_holders-Argentina.html

You should follow the status of this suspension.

You will need a visa for Brasil and, as mentioned, will not be able to board w/o it.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to the OP for posting a current question about visas to Brazil.

Can anyone tell me if you take your own application into the consulate or if you need an appointment? I'm not seeing that on the Washington consulate website. It seems you leave your application materials, envelope and payment with the clerk. If anyone reading has experience with the Washington consulate, I'd appreciate any advice. Did not start a new thread but can if this is not appropriate to this one. Thanks to all in advance.

Thanks to the OP for posting a current question about visas to Brazil.

Can anyone tell me if you take your own application into the consulate or if you need an appointment? I'm not seeing that on the Washington consulate website. It seems you leave your application materials, envelope and payment with the clerk. If anyone reading has experience with the Washington consulate, I'd appreciate any advice. Did not start a new thread but can if this is not appropriate to this one. Thanks to all in advance.

If you don't read carefully and thoroughly, you may have further problems with the visa process.

The first page of the DC Consulate's English site on visas (http://cgwashington.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/applying_for_a_visa.xml)

has a big box stating:

"PLEASE BE ADVISED:

As of September 1, 2014 we will no longer accept ANY visa applications submitted by mail. Applications sent by mail postmarked later than

August 31, 2014 will be returned without processing.

From September 1, 2014 onwards

all visa applications must be submitted in person (by the applicant or by a proxy - any friend, relative or colleague can act as a proxy) OR through visa agencies.

This information supersedes any other that you might still find on this website.

As of May 5, 2014, visas submitted in person will no longer be available for pick up at the Consulate. Visas will be mailed back with a pre-paid envelope provided by the applicant.

When submitting in person, along with the visa application and passport, you must also bring a self-addressed envelope with tracking number ("Express Mail Flat Rate" or "Priority Mail") from the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) with sufficient stamps/postage (pre-paid envelope) for the return of the passport and submitted documentation via mail once it has been processed (we do not accept envelopes submitted by any other carriers, such as Fedex, DHL, UPS, etc). More than one passport may be mailed back in the same envelope."

SO Submit in person (you, proxy or an agency), receive back by mail.

----------

And regarding appointments:

“C) SUBMITTING YOUR VISA APPLICATION

It is recommended that the visa application is submitted to the Consulate at least one month prior to intended departure date. It is the applicant’s responsibility to submit the complete and accurate visa application in due time.

No expediting services are offered. Hence no expediting fees are charged by this Consulate.

All services are on a first-come, first-served basis. The Consulate General of Brazil in Washington DOES NOT MAKE APPOINTMENTS.”

Note that the "application" that is referred to is an initial online form.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

I'm not seeing that on the Washington consulate website. .

Could you have gotten onto another website, not the official consulate one?

All the Brazilian consular websites start with the name of the city where they are (in Portuguese, usually. i.e. novayork, londres) and then dot itamaraty dot com dot br

Edited by VidaNaPraia