Montego Bay - Hop On Hop Off

Vegas_Grl

Has anyoned used the Hop On Hop Off Shuttle in Montego Bay? I heard somewhere that you use your Sail & Sign for this. Just wondering if that was true and if it's a good way to get around. It will be our first time in Jamaica in September and I was thinking of using it to go to Doctors Cave, Margaritaville, Pork Pit and just to see a little of the island.

I appreciate any information I can get on this, Thanks ;)

We used it a couple of months ago and will use again when we go in November. You use your sail and sigh card, get on the bus and can get off at any of the stops you wish. I know it stops at the beach, at Margaritaville and a couple of other places I can't remember.We stopped at the beach and spent most of the day. A bus comes around every 20- 30 minutes and you can get on or off at any of the pick up spots.

We used it on our last cruise. You pay for it with your S&S card, at the terminal. They do not take cash. Then you get a bracelet to wear. You can get on and off at whatever stops and it loops around. It is my understanding that it does not actually stop at the pork pit (although our driver did stop there for some people who asked), but it apparently is not too far of a walk from the craft market. It does stop at Rose Hall shopping area, Dr's Cave, Margaritaville, and the craft market. I felt very safe and you do get to see the Island a little. I would do it again.

The shuttle doesn't stop at Port Pit but you do drive by it.

I took it the distance to the Rose Hall Shops and then walked to the Rose Hall Great House and took a tour. I thought the whole adventure was great.

DSC_6655.JPG

Lots of pictures here:

Montego Bay, Jamaica

Page1 - Hop On Hop On Bus, The Shoppes at Rose Hall, Rose Hall Great House,

Page2 - Rose Hall Great House

Page3 - Rose Hall Great House

Page4 - Rose Hall Great House

Page5 - Hop On Hop Off Shuttle, Port Area, Carnival Magic, Deli Combo Sandwich, Red Velvet Cupcakes, Paris Breast, Cookies,

Page6 - MDR Dinner, Ken Byrne, Martina, Play It Again Piano Bar, Ron Pass, Ocean Plaza 8 piece band, Lido at Night, Cigars Under The Stars,

Thanks so much for posting this. We have a family member in our group who is always worried about getting back to the ship on time.

I took it the distance to the Rose Hall Shops and then walked to the Rose Hall Great House and took a tour. I thought the whole adventure was great.

DSC_6655.JPG

Lots of pictures here:

Montego Bay, Jamaica

Page5 - Hop On Hop Off Shuttle, Port Area, Carnival Magic, Deli Combo Sandwich, Red Velvet Cupcakes, Paris Breast, Cookies,

Page6 - MDR Dinner, Ken Byrne, Martina, Play It Again Piano Bar, Ron Pass, Ocean Plaza 8 piece band, Lido at Night, Cigars Under The Stars,

Thanks for posting the pics Sargent Schults!! Do you think I could walk to the Pork Pit from Doctors Cave? My plan is to get on the Hop On and ride around seeing the island, then go to Doctors Cave for a bit, walk to Pork Pit for lunch, then Margaritaville for some drinks before taking the Shuttle back to the ship. Does anyone think this is Do-able?

DSC_6655.JPG

Lots of pictures here:

Montego Bay, Jamaica

Thanks for posting the pics Sargent Schults!! Do you think I could walk to the Pork Pit from Doctors Cave? My plan is to get on the Hop On and ride around seeing the island, then go to Doctors Cave for a bit, walk to Pork Pit for lunch, then Margaritaville for some drinks before taking the Shuttle back to the ship. Does anyone think this is Do-able?

You could walk to any of them from the ship if you can say no to vendors.

The shuttle only goes along the main drag on Montego Bay so you won't see much of the island. It does go a ways on the other side of Drs Cave.

Pork Pit is closest to the ship, then Margaritaville, then Doctor's Cave so you would pass Margaritaville on the way to Port Pit from Drs Cave.

What you are thinking of is doable, but personally I would either

a) take a taxi to Dr Cave, then walk to Margaritaville, then negotiate a price with a taxi to take you back to the ship, stopping off at Pork Pit to pick up some food to go.

or

b) Take the shuttle bus to the end and back to Dr's Cave and then proceed as above.

In the cruise terminal at Montego Bay there is a tourist information booth that should be able to give you a pocket map and point out where everything is, advise you on taxis and costs, and the shuttle bus, too.

I think it cost me $10 one time to get a taxi at the cruise terminal to take me to the Pork Pit, wait while I got some food to go, and then take me back to the ship. Early in the day they might want more, but as it gets later, they know tourists will be fewer and fewer and not many at all once the cruise ships leave for the evening.

Forgive me if this has already been stated, but how much does it cost to ride the bus.

Thanks

Disregard ... I see that the question was answered while I was typing this response

Edited by tman77064

thank you so much for the tips Sargent. I appreciate it as it will be our first time in Jamaica.

One more question...I will be able to stay on the shuttle and not be made to get off at the end of the loop if I want to just see all the stops and then go back to one.

A cab may just be easier....

You could walk to any of them from the ship if you can say no to vendors.

The shuttle only goes along the main drag on Montego Bay so you won't see much of the island. It does go a ways on the other side of Drs Cave.

Pork Pit is closest to the ship, then Margaritaville, then Doctor's Cave so you would pass Margaritaville on the way to Port Pit from Drs Cave.

What you are thinking of is doable, but personally I would either

a) take a taxi to Dr Cave, then walk to Margaritaville, then negotiate a price with a taxi to take you back to the ship, stopping off at Pork Pit to pick up some food to go.

or

b) Take the shuttle bus to the end and back to Dr's Cave and then proceed as above.

In the cruise terminal at Montego Bay there is a tourist information booth that should be able to give you a pocket map and point out where everything is, advise you on taxis and costs, and the shuttle bus, too.

I think it cost me $10 one time to get a taxi at the cruise terminal to take me to the Pork Pit, wait while I got some food to go, and then take me back to the ship. Early in the day they might want more, but as it gets later, they know tourists will be fewer and fewer and not many at all once the cruise ships leave for the evening.

thank you so much for the tips Sargent. I appreciate it as it will be our first time in Jamaica.

One more question...I will be able to stay on the shuttle and not be made to get off at the end of the loop if I want to just see all the stops and then go back to one.

A cab may just be easier....

I don't think they would make you get off, but you might sit there for a while. Where the bus picks up people is around the corner from where they drop people off. If one was already sitting there picking up passengers?

A cab is easiest and fastest, but not cheapest if you are going to Rose Hall. If only to Drs Cave, a taxi might well be easiest, fastest, and cheapest. You can check current prices once you get to the cruise terminal.

$15. Not sure about children. I hesitate to call it a real HoHo bus. All they provide is transportation - there isn't a tour narration like you find on most.

Actually that depends. When we first got on, there was a lady that I guess was like a tour guide. She told us all kinds of things and pointed things out. That was on the way to Rose Hall. The next ones had nothing of the sort.

We are a family of 4 and were thinking about just cabbing it to Doctor's Cave Beach. Is there set cab rates at the port to certain locations?

I am now thinking that this Hop On / Hop Off may be better? But would the cost be much more versus a cab for 4? This is the one port I do not have an excursion booked at, as of yet.

Poseidon Patty - We are from just north of Houston & will be on the Magic next week, as well :D I am hoping the weather turns out ok, the news said there are 2 storms forming. Boo!!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

I have a family of 4 and we have not planned any excursion for this port and was just thinking to go spend the day at Doctors Cave Beach. It will be me, my wife, my 24 year old daughter and my 11 year old daughter. I see that the price per adult is 19 for the hop on hop off. Would a taxi be cheaper for my group or would the hop on hop off be the better deal?

Thanks.

Taxi will be cheaper. IIRC it was $5 per person each way from the port to Doctors Cave. Doctors Cave does charge admission and for chairs and umbrellas. It was $30 for two of us to get in, two chairs and an umbrella.

Thank you so much for the info! That makes my decision so much easier. Is it pretty easy to get a cab to you back?