Taxi from Villefranche to the Ephrussi-Rothschild Villa

heidik

Does anyone have any idea of the fare if I took a taxi from the cruise port to the Rothschild Villa at Cap Ferrat? I am a mature female traveling solo and am not interested in buses or trains or renting a car - and I don't think I can walk it.......thanks

Ok, we can take an educated guess. You are only talking about 2-3 miles so the taxi fare will be reasonable (at least for that part of France) and should be approximately 10 Euros. But, and this is the big but, the question is can you even find a taxi. If there are no taxis at the tender pier you might have to have someone call you a cab and the price could go up

If you did change your mind you would want the #81 bus and will find that plenty of other "mature ladies" utilize the very safe and clean Ligne Cote d'Azur buses which only cost 1 Euro.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We can also give you some reassurance that this is really a very safe area (anywhere from Villefranche to Cap Ferat where you need have little concern about your safety. Probably the major danger in this region is being hit by a car or bus when walking along (or across) roads.

Hank

• 1 year later...

We have been to Villefranche twice and took Celebrity's Monaco & Nice tour the first time and the train on our own to Nice the second time. In Spring 2014, we will return to Villefranche on a Celebrity TA and also to Cannes, Grasse, Nice, St. Paul de Vence and Monaco on a France land tour in September 2014.

We are thinking this time to go to the Villa Ephrussi de Rothchild, the Greek Villa Kérylos, and/or Eze. Given that the Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild is only 4km from Villefranche, could we just walk to the villa from Villefranche? I'm not worried about the distance, so much as the roads to get there. I recall a possible path along the beach/water leading out of Villefranche on a narrow road but don't know if the path or a sidewalk continues or whether we will need to walk on the road itself which we would not want to do because of traffic.

Villa Ephrussi de Rothchild and the Greek Villa Kérylos are only around 2km from each other. Is it also walkable from one to the other without having to walk on a road with a lot of traffic and no paths or sidewalks?

Otherwise, the bus to Villa Villa Ephrussi de Rothchild or train to Eze sounds like the best bet.

Kathy

• 4 weeks later...

According to Rick Steves book 55 minutes from the tender pier---just head to the right along the beach--follow the small lane along the beach, then up the stairs at the end walking parallel to the tracks. Continue past the mansions to first right on Av de Grasseuil--you'll see signs from there

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, Paul. It seems quite doable to walk there.

Any experience on how much time we should plan to spend at Villa Ephrussi de Rothchild with or without a lunch or snack?

Has anyone done both Eze and Villa Ephrussi de Rothchild in the same day? Any suggestions for transportation between the two? Would we be best to share transportation with others from the rollcall, such as a taxi service, to both places or go to Villa Ephrussi de Rothchild on our own (walking, taxi, or bus) and from there arrange for a taxi service to take us to Eze for a couple hours and then back to the ship?

Kathy

• 1 month later...

We just visited the Villa and it was a wonderful experience. We took a taxi from the pier (15 euro, train strike so I'm sure the rate was a little high). We spent about 2 hours at the villa and then walked back to the pier. It was about a 45 minute walk all downhill which was nice and easy.

Loved this experience!!:)

Edited by Trixsea

We just visited the Villa and it was a wonderful experience. We took a taxi from the pier (15 euro, train strike so I'm sure the rate was a little high). We spent about 2 hours at the villa and then walked back to the pier. It was about a 45 minute walk all downhill which was nice and easy.

Loved this experience!!:)

Thanks for reporting back on your experience. We are planning to walk both directions to the Villa in May on our end-of-April Celebrity Transatlantic. A couple hours at the Villa with a pleasant RT walk sounds like a good way to spend the day, and it's good to hear the walk was easy.

Kathy

• 2 months later...

Another question for those of you who have walked to and/or from Villa Ephrussi: does the uphill walk to and the downhill walk from Villa Ephrussi involve climbing the stone stairs in Villefranche? If so, is there a rail and are there a lot of steps? Or is the walk just an uphill (and in reverse a downhill) walk to Villa Ephrussi. If we want to go to Cap Ferrat afterwards, is it easy to get to and walk around that area? My knees can only take so many steps although inclines without steps are fine.

TIA,

Kathy

I am also interested in walking to the estate. Does anyone have any idea how long this will take?

I did a google maps search and if you walk along the seawall it'll take 31 minutes for the 2.4km walk.

Villefranche-sur-MerFrance

3. 1. Head southeast on Rue Cardinal Dupont toward Rue Baron de Brès

4. 16 m

5. 2. Turn left onto Rue Baron de Brès

6. 110 m

7. 3. Turn right onto Rue Pasteur

8. 24 m

9. 4. Turn left onto Rue du Poilu

10. 81 m

11. 5. Turn right toward Promenade des Marinières/M225

12. 20 m

13. 6. Turn left onto Promenade des Marinières/M225

14. 750 m

15. 7. Continue straight to stay on Promenade des Marinières/M225

16. Continue to follow Promenade des Marinières

17. 260 m

18. 8. Continue onto Av. de l'Ange Gardien/M225

19. Continue to follow M225

20. 400 m

21. 9. Continue onto Av. Louise Bordes/M125

22. 59 m

23. 10. Turn right onto Av. Denis Semeria

24. 9 m

25. 11. Continue onto Chemin des Moulins

26. 500 m

27. 12. Turn left to stay on Chemin des Moulins

28. 62 m

29. 13. Turn right onto Av. Ephrussi de Rothschild

30. Destination will be on the right

31. 72 m

33. Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild

34. 1 Avenue Ephrussi de Rothschild06230 Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat, France 2

Edited by lamchops

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you all so very much! All the information provided plus the map will be very helpful. I just saved the map as a pdf file for my iPad and will save any other pertinent information that I might not memorize. We leave for our cruise in 3.5 weeks and will be in Villefranche in May. We plan to walk roundtrip from Villefranche to Villa Ephrussi. We have been to Villefranche a couple times, so we know where to start the walk along the beach.

A few more questions:

Does Villa Ephrussi accept credit cards for admission and lunch?

Anything else you suggest that we see in route or around Villa Ephrussi? Did anyone have lunch at Villa Ephrussi or anywhere else in that area or in Villafranche that you recommend? We would be interested in a small lunch like a crepe; Croque Madame; mussels, frites, & wine; or a cheese plate with wine. And my favorite Badoit sparkling water if I can find it.

Kathy

We are planning to go to the Villas later this year and I found apps on each of them from Culturespaces which is the manager/operator of many famous cultural sites in France. You can download them to your IPhone or IPad and they will work even if you turn off wifi/cell service. I am going to try them out this fall.