After hours nighttime tour of St Marks, Venice?

lanceholt

Has anyone taken the night time tour of St. Marks? Our ship will be in Venice overnight and then we are staying a few days after that. We're thinking of taking the night time tour that first night....our ship offers an excursion with transportation to/from the ship via boat and the private tours look like they are the same price.

I took the tour a couple of years ago -- it was an included tour on the cruise I was on.

I really enjoyed the tour. You get to see the spectacular mosaics with the lights on, which really highlights the artistry. The guide gave lots of good detail on the style and subjects of the most significant mosaics. Afterwards, you got to walk around behind the Pala d'Oro (the golden, jewel-encrusted screen and altar) for a close look. And then -- to me the best part -- you get to go down into the lower, crypt level.

One thing the tour does NOT include is a visit to the museum upstairs, which is fascinating in itself and where you can see the original bronze horses (the ones on display outside are replicas, due to concerns about damage). You can also see certain of the mosaics really close up AND you get a stunning view by stepping outside -- you can see over the entire square as well as to the side facing the lagoon.

This wasn't a problem for me, I just planned to spend time earlier that day doing the museum/upstairs portion on my own.

Edited by cruisemom42