Oriana and All That Jazz

Saga Ruby

Howdy. A gentle farewell to our marvelous Saga Rose Greenland thread. I have known for years that humongous threads like ours cannot continue, for technical reasons, to exist. I've been mildly curious as to why we weren't shut down a year ago. It would have been nice to be given advance notice. But I hope you'll join me and all our posting friends on this new thread.

Sharon - I was impressed with Oriana and have been for years. Would you care to draw a parallel with her and my Saga Sisters? Not in size but in "feel" of interior environments and staff hospitality. How many sittings are done for dinner? I'm curious.

Conte - I hope you can join us on this new thread. I have a couple of stories to tell about childhood adventures Stay tuned.

By the bye, I'm certainly open to any title for this new thread. Let me hear from you.

Come one, come all! Join us in our continuing adventures on "thou deep and dark blue ocean, roll."

Ruby

Edited by Saga Ruby
Saga Rose Greenland thread closed

Howdy. A gentle farewell to our marvelous Saga Rose Greenland thread. I have known for years that humongous threads like ours cannot continue, for technical reasons, to exist. I've been mildly curious as to why we weren't shut down a year ago. It would have been nice to be given advance notice. But I hope you'll join me and all our posting friends on this new thread.

Sharon - I was impressed with Oriana and have been for years. Would you care to draw a parallel with her and my Saga Sisters? Not in size but in "feel" of interior environments and staff hospitality. How many sittings are done for dinner? I'm curious.

Conte - I hope you can join us on this new thread. I have a couple of stories to tell about childhood adventures Stay tuned.

By the bye, I'm certainly open to any title for this new thread. Let me hear from you.

Come one, come all! Join us in our continuing adventures on "thou deep and dark blue ocean, roll."

Ruby

I can barely remember the interiors of Caronia but I cannot fault the hospitality of Oriana and IMO she is probably the nearest you will get to a old-style liner in most mainstream modern fleets. Lots of smaller dedicated rooms - library, card room, cinema, games room etc. and acres of lovely open deck space. She was built with world cruises in mind which gives her an edge I think in both stability and interior space.

Cruise ship pax talk about how rough the Bay of Biscay is. I didn't have that experience but I'm sure that all of you have encountered rough seas during your cruises.

The worst buffeting I ever had was off the coast of Barcelona where, late at night, as I attempted to sleep, I was holding onto the end table by my bed and bracing against the bed's wall, awaiting the next waves.

In Far North, there were some impressive storms. My biggest surprise was exiting the Panama Canal into the Atlantic and watching the ship's bow slamming up and down into the angry seas. I sat in a deck chair on the pool deck, farthest chair back, and enjoyed the ride. The screw didn't come out of the water most of the time, but it was memorable.

Do you think of rough waters being consistent in parts of the globe?

Ruby

P.S. I am musing about the ending of our Saga Rose group. We could just meet up at random events among the other threads. Thoughts?

I have suggested admin create a Friends of Saga Ruby in the Friends of Cruise Critic area so we may carry on our random ship musings. It's the best solution I could think of. What do you think??

Edited by Host Sharon

I have suggested admin create a Friends of Saga Ruby in the Friends of Cruise Critic area so we may carry on our random ship musings. It's the best solution I could think of. What do you think??

It interests me that the Views on our closed thread continue to climb. I think I will let this new thread languish and see what the future holds. Going to new areas on Cruise Critic or new sections would be difficult to execute.

Thanks for your brilliant suggestions; we shall see if there is an interest in the future.

We had a good long run. Perhaps it's time to pull in the Welcome mat and meet up as coincidence dictates.

Ruby

This might be a good solution...or what about "Whatever Happened to Saga Ruby Greenland?" in "The Whatever Happened to....???" thread in the Cruise Discussion section? I wish they had allowed us to edit down the old thread to the "Best of Saga Ruby."