AmaVida attire?

CDreamer

Hi, we are new to AMA and river cruising, but not to CC. We will be taking a Douro river cruise next month and have the age old question of what to wear/pack for this particular cruise.

We have taken Windstar and many Sea Dream cruises where the dress is very casual during the day then more "country club casual" at night. Is this similar to what people wear on a Douro AMA cruise? On SD, DH usually wears a button down shirt at night then takes a sports coat for captain's night. Should he plan on doing same? How dressy do the ladies get on AmaVida?

Also, will light weight jackets (windbreakers) be warm enough during the day in May or should we take heavier jackets?

We'd like to pack as light as possible but also want to make sure that we have the right clothes for this trip. Haven't been to Portugal in years so we are really looking forward to taking our first river cruise on AMA!

We have done 4 AMA cruises so far with 2 more booked. Generally we travel in fall but recently completed a spring cruise.

Attire is casual during the day. I wear jeans and DH generally wears Dockers. We pack to layer whenever we visit Europe so that we are prepared for anything.

For dinner, I pack a basic dress (wrap or sweater dress) and wear black pants with different tops. DH wears dress slacks and normally a button down shirt. Any collared shirt would be appropriate.

In my experience, about 10% of men wear sportcoats to the special dinners - or dinners at the specialty restaurant. My husband no longer packs a sport coat.

We travel light as we DIY before and after using public transport.

but we also went to Portugal in May and had a cool spell.Lucky I brought a sweater,and light weight jacket.Many had to buy sweatshirts in ports.Sure it was rare,but to be on safe side pack in layers.

In Lisbon,(we spent 2 days pre cruise, DH glad he brought a sports coat.But never wore in on ship(wore his trusty cashmere sweater).

Do bring comfy clothes to wear up on deck,in cabin,etc. I had to learn that one.

Have also been on SeaDream and very similar re.country club casual.But I like the AMA cabins even better, have larger bathrooms and balcony.But food and service not as grand,but still good.