Family of 4, first trip, looking for beach

teamWL

Hello! My family of four is cruising to St. Maarten next June. We are looking for a nice beach to visit with clean bathrooms, chair/umbrella rentals, and food. We would prefer a beach that has moderate to low crowds. What's the best way to get to get to the beach and what can a family of four expect to pay for the day (including rentals, food, etc.)?

Great Bay Beach has everything you're looking for, which is right off of the main street in Phillipsburg, but there will likely be crowds along the board walk and in the streets, but the beach should not be too crowded. I was just in SXM last week and saw a deal through the Holland House Beach Hotel that was offering two chairs, one umbrella, shower/changing room/bathroom access, and 4 drinks for $25. That is a really good deal, espeically considering that it is a 20 minute walk, or short water taxi ride away from the ships.

Grand Case has the spot as my favorite beach in Saint-Martin. I am not sure how you will get there, as I have visited once by boat and another on my recent land trip from Marigot, but the taxis and buses will be able to take you there, I am not sure of a rate though. Chairs will cost you about $10 each, and considering grand Case is the culinary capital of the Caribbean, there is no shortage of great food. There may be smller crowds near the main restaurants, but the beach is so large, I have several pictures from both trips where I am the only person in the whole shot.

Baie Rouge is also an amazing beach that had very little beach, and a very good beach bar. 2 chairs and an umbrella cost us 20 Euros last week. It is a very relaxing beach where you can escape to to get away from the cruise ship crowds. Again, not sure about how much a taxi from the cruise terminal will cost you, but the beach is gorgeous, the sand has a small amount of red pigment in it, and it is not very expensive.

I have also heard great things about Orient, Baie Nettle, Simpson Bay Beach, and Mullet Beach. But, there is no way to go wrong in Saint-Martin/ Sint Maarten, the island is eaisly my favorite Caribbean island and you are sure to enjoy your trip. If I can be of any more help, let me know! :D

• 3 weeks later...
Hello! My family of four is cruising to St. Maarten next June. We are looking for a nice beach to visit with clean bathrooms, chair/umbrella rentals, and food. We would prefer a beach that has moderate to low crowds. What's the best way to get to get to the beach and what can a family of four expect to pay for the day (including rentals, food, etc.)?

Like the other poster I think that Grand Case would offer you a nice beach day. It's a Long Beach with many beach bar restaurants on it now with some having nicer washrooms than others :) Some places have Watersports rentals as well.

I would look for a place that has free chairs and umbrellas with food and drink.

From transportation taxi is easiest. I'm thinking $90 return would be about right for 4.

Little Bay would be another nice beach for you. Very picturesque but the sand isn't as soft and fluffy as other beaches on the island. I think that chairs are $10 a piece and thransportation would be about $40. The washrooms are really nice here and there is a restaurant and Watersports booth. Crowd would be low to moderate in June I would think.

I wouldn't recommend Great Bay ( just do a search re: pollution issues ) as I think that you should know about it and make your own decision.

Baie Rouge did not have clean bathrooms when I visited last but I enjoyed my time there. I would want a car if I visited here while on a cruise.

You have to walk clear to the end of Orient to see anyone nude.

I saw things i didnt wanna see all ove the beach even if it is not suppose to be that way but thhe beach itself was really rough and the water not so clear the sand was nice but i guess i like untouched beaches