Scuba diving in July

bcruise23

Hello,

I will be visiting Roatan in July and was wondering if anyone had any advice for scuba diving while we there for the day. Is it better to book through Carnival or a private company? Any recommendations on private companies if that is the way to go?

My very first visit I was on a girls cruise (there was 11 of us) My sister in law, her daughter and I did a one tank dive (9:30) through West End Divers. They sent a taxi to pick us up, provided a wonderful dive (equipment included) and then we even negotiated with the taxi driver to stay with us the rest of the day for a really good price ! You can opt for a two tank dive but we wanted to see some of the island too and have lunch. We had lunch in West End Village right down from the dive shop, did some shopping at Evelyns and then he took us to West Bay beach for some beach time. Then back to the ship in plenty of time.

If on a cruise ship this is how I would do it again…….

That said, we have been back twice since - each time for a week stay at Infinity Bay. We have used their dive shop both times and they are perhaps the best we have ever used. Anywhere. They have dives at 8:30 10:30 and 2:30 and the boat comes back to the beach between each dive….. check them out at Infinity Divers.

I would not do the dive through the ship…… they jack up the prices something terrible.

• 3 months later...
My very first visit I was on a girls cruise (there was 11 of us) My sister in law, her daughter and I did a one tank dive (9:30) through West End Divers. They sent a taxi to pick us up, provided a wonderful dive (equipment included) and then we even negotiated with the taxi driver to stay with us the rest of the day for a really good price ! You can opt for a two tank dive but we wanted to see some of the island too and have lunch. We had lunch in West End Village right down from the dive shop, did some shopping at Evelyns and then he took us to West Bay beach for some beach time. Then back to the ship in plenty of time.

If on a cruise ship this is how I would do it again…….

That said, we have been back twice since - each time for a week stay at Infinity Bay. We have used their dive shop both times and they are perhaps the best we have ever used. Anywhere. They have dives at 8:30 10:30 and 2:30 and the boat comes back to the beach between each dive….. check them out at Infinity Divers.

I would not do the dive through the ship…… they jack up the prices something terrible.

Just checked the price thru Carnival. It's $100/p including gears and transportation to Anthony Keys Resort.

I'm looking at other dive ops, and non of them include transportation or gear rental. By the time you add the transportation and rental, all of them come of more expensive. So just curious what you mean they jack up the prices?

I just booked our excursion through the ship. I was finding that the nickel and dime for transportation, gear, etc. was too much of a hassle. Plus, if our itinerary changes for any reason, the cruise ship will be more likely to reimburse us our accommodate us.