NCL excursions- Gatun Lake

QuattroRomeo

There are no reviews on NCL's website for its shore excursions during the partial transit cruise.

If you have taken one of them, what was your experience? We have done a full transit in the past, and this time for the partial, we're considering a tour.

I like the idea of the one called Aerial Tram and Exhibits, which is supposed to be up into the rain forest canopy at the Gamboa Rainforest resort. My DH thinks we would see nothing but leaves! Is he right?

Also, one called The Shaping of Panama, a tour into Panama City. Is it just a lot of driving, or do you get out at several places to walk around?

Any info much appreciated!

*There are no reviews on NCL's website for its shore excursions during the partial transit cruise.

If you have taken one of them, what was your experience? We have done a full transit in the past, and this time for the partial, we're considering a tour.

**I like the idea of the one called Aerial Tram and Exhibits, which is supposed to be up into the rain forest canopy at the Gamboa Rainforest resort. My DH thinks we would see nothing but leaves! Is he right?

***Also, one called The Shaping of Panama, a tour into Panama City. Is it just a lot of driving, or do you get out at several places to walk around?

Any info much appreciated!

*The reason for lack of reviews on the NCL tours is this their first season offering partial Canal transits. Truthfully I don't know if they have made the first partial transit cruise of the season yet. From the sounds of what you are describing the tours seem to be configured in the same manner the other cruise lines offer with their partial transit shore excursions.

**Yes, there will be plenty of leaves of sorts of shape, but there will be a few other things to have a look at as well. Here are few shots from the Aerial Tram tour that my daughter took on a recent trip...

fa90tk.jpg

One of the locals...

28ui8ie.jpg

View from the top...

suy4ag.jpg

***There is ample driving, it is a little over an hour each way to take you to the Pacific side to Panama City plus driving within the City. If the tour is operated like the other cruise line tours there is a good opportunity to walk around el Casco Viejo which sometimes is referred to as Colonial Panama. The architecture is reminiscent of what you would expect to find in New Orleans. The area has been nicely restored. El Casco Viejo was established after Morgan sacked the original city of Old Panama. At Old Panama there is a possibility that you could stop and walk around a bit and then sometimes they just drive through it and you observe from the bus.

Panama City has a very striking skyline, the city won't compare with anything you will have seen on the Atlantic side or your trip over to the Pacific side. As long as your guide has a good grasp of Panama's history it is a great tour.

• 3 weeks later...

HI all!

I'm trying to decide on an excursion on a Thomson Pride of Panama cruise so was interested in this. I'm torn between the boat & train rides as I also want to see some of the City.

We actually stayed at the Gamboa Rainforest Resort for a week but didn't take the tram ride (not that adventurous).:o We did see the exhibits though & on the property there were animals I'd never heard of or seen before eg Capybara & Agouti. The birds were so colourful & of course the flowers beautiful. At their waterfront restaurant there were turtles & caiman in the water.

Hope this helps.

~ Jo ~ :)

I hadn't thought of that excursion. Was going to do the ferry but may consider the trip to Colonial Panama/Panama City now. Thank you.

Yes, when I really read the shore excursion description of the city tour, it sounded pretty good and I have wanted to see Panama City ever since we 'sailed past it' on our full transit cruise years ago! And Bill's comments make it seem even more interesting!

HI all!

I'm trying to decide on an excursion on a Thomson Pride of Panama cruise so was interested in this. I'm torn between the boat & train rides as I also want to see some of the City.

We actually stayed at the Gamboa Rainforest Resort for a week but didn't take the tram ride (not that adventurous).:o We did see the exhibits though & on the property there were animals I'd never heard of or seen before eg Capybara & Agouti. The birds were so colourful & of course the flowers beautiful. At their waterfront restaurant there were turtles & caiman in the water.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Jo! It has to be pretty neat to be in the middle of the rain forest! So I'm torn . Don't know if the aerial tram would afford much opportunity to actually see wildlife, but if it does it would be a great tour. Since we are also docking in Costa Rica, we might do the aerial tram there instead..such decisions!

Yes, when I really read the shore excursion description of the city tour, it sounded pretty good and I have wanted to see Panama City ever since we 'sailed past it' on our full transit cruise years ago! And Bill's comments make it seem even more interesting!

My husband still wants to do the ferry so we will be doing that. When is your cruise QuattroRomeo?

HI all!

QuattroRomeo ~ it was lovely staying there in the rainforest.:D

We also dock in Costa Rica & the other time I was there I took the Tortuguero Canal trip which was really interesting since I love nature most when travelling. I'm going to do that again.

We've come to a decision so will be booking the ferry through the canal to the west coast. Our Thomson cruise is in GBP which are now 2 to 1 Canadian so it'll be pricey but one report I read made it sound so worthwhile.

Decisions, decisions eh?;)

• 1 month later...
We aren't cruising until next December, so I have way too much time to obsess! I look forward to both of your comments when you get back. What other ports are you really looking forward to- are you pretty much decided on tours?

We changed our minds yet again, lol. We are leaving mid March and the temps at that time are fairly high. One of the reviews I read stated that it was extremely hot for the 7 hour boat ride and that was in December. We are now booked for the Shaping of Panama trip. That is if we don't change our minds between now and then, lol.

• 4 months later...
We changed our minds yet again, lol. We are leaving mid March and the temps at that time are fairly high. One of the reviews I read stated that it was extremely hot for the 7 hour boat ride and that was in December. We are now booked for the Shaping of Panama trip. That is if we don't change our minds between now and then, lol.

My wife and I are going on the Pearl on march 23, 2017, we are looking at options for tours while in Panama, did you take private tours or were they from the ship, we are thinking of taking a full transit excursion but I read that it is a very long hot excursion, any recommendations on Panama excursions? Insights on the Pearl?

Thanks