Pre and Post Cruise in Orlando

cfkid

I need a bit of advice. My family, including wife and two teens, are booked on a cruise out of Port Canaveral on June 11, 2017. We basically have two flight options each way.

On arrival, we can get into MCO around 11 AM or around 5:30 PM on the 10th. My wife and daughter have always wanted to see the Harry Potter stuff at Universal. So I'm toying with the idea of taking the early flight and getting into MCO around 11, then taking the family to Universal for the rest of the day. We'd then stay at a hotel at the airport for the night. Has anyone done this? Will Universal be so crowded that it will basically be a waste of time and money?

On departure, we have the option of a flight that leaves around 11:40 AM or 5:30 PM. I'd like to take the 11:40, but our TA thinks it's a risk (ship could be late, traffic, etc.). So, we're planning to take the 5:30 and just rent a car for the day. My son really wants to see Kennedy Space Center. I've seen on the boards where others have done the same, so I think that will be pretty straight forward. My only concern there is that all of our luggage will be in the rental car in the parking lot. I'm assuming that there aren't any significant safety concerns. I'd have to have everything stolen before we get home.

Can I get some feedback on this plan? Anything else I should think of before I do it?

Thanks,

Mark

Universal Studios Islands of Adventure is open till 8pm so it is doable. I will say this...there are always line for the Harry Potter rides...so that is totally your call. I would sure on line for some of the Universal fan sites to see about options to speed things up. From the airport I can make it to Universal in 20 minutes. KSC on your return day with a rental is easy and no worries about your luggage....KSC is VERY safe and monitored.

• 2 weeks later...

We considered this also, for our cruise in Dec 2017. We decided against it due to the expense. In order to see and experience all of the Harry Potter areas, you will need to buy a Park Hopper pass, because Hogwarts is in one park, but Diagon Alley is in the other park. When we calculated the amount of time we could spend in the park....no more than 8 hours....compared to the price of tickets...$165 for adults, $160 for children.....it just didn't seem worth it.

We considered this also, for our cruise in Dec 2017. We decided against it due to the expense. In order to see and experience all of the Harry Potter areas, you will need to buy a Park Hopper pass, because Hogwarts is in one park, but Diagon Alley is in the other park. When we calculated the amount of time we could spend in the park....no more than 8 hours....compared to the price of tickets...$165 for adults, $160 for children.....it just didn't seem worth it.

I've debated this as well. I can get discounted tickets through work, so that helps a bit. But my wife, aka the boss, has a good point. We aren't in Orlando that often and our kids (15 and 12) will not enjoy this stuff much longer. So I think we'll end up doing it. I know I couldn't spend a week in either Disney or Universal, the crowds, lines, and heat would get to me. Funny thing is that they don't bother me on a cruise.

I did that last year. We came in two days early and I spent a full two days (one each park) at universal. I was alone and at age 37. (kids stayed with their father). I LOVE IT!! So much so that this year when I go to Orlando again with kids, I am going again, but with my boys (twins age 11)