Golf Widow… Renting car alone / Kauai

3Kittens

First time alone in a port (golf widow), thinking of renting a car and trekking out on my own. (Poipu Beach).

- is drive easy

- is beach safe

- any good shopping

- where are car shuttles located at port

Does this sound nuts for a middle age woman to do on her own? (not worried about my driving skills, and am bringing a preprogrammed Garmin).

3Kittens ...Should be no problems at all. The car shuttles are about half way from the exit of the ship term. to the shipyard exit, along the fence area, on the inside of the shipyard.

Maybe a 3 min walk from the gangplank.

However, a very nice beach is right near the ship, Kalapaki.

It is a 10 to 15 min walk from the ship, or there is a free shuttle to the shopping area near the beach, making it only a 5 min walk. Very nice sand, waves, and a Dukes right on the beach also, should you become thirsty or hungry!

Also, umbrella and chair rental is avail.

Chuck

Woo hoo! You go girl! And maybe you'll even find some new friends on board who'll be happy to share car rental costs with you and see the island.

I booked with Discount Hawaii Car Rentals but you can book any car rental independently. Just make sure you book in advance otherwise you might not get a car if you just show up. We used Thrifty on most of the islands including Kauai. Whoever you choose they all send free shuttles back and forth to the port. Its a very easy procedure, just wait in the parking lot until your car rental's shuttle shows up. We also rented a GPS from them for around $13. They were kind of neat because it picked up where you were on the island, gave us a little musical interlude, and then told us where we were and anything of historical or tourist interest. Already preset with tourist destinations and the return rental location. Or you could preset your GPS for the places you want to go. http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

The first thing you want to do when you get inside your rental car is drive to the Waimea Canyon because that will be your farthest destination from the port, about an hour or so drive and then you'll spend another hour or so driving and stopping at the lookouts. Its also known as the Grand Canyon of the Pacific. The drive up the mountain is fun - you'll feel like you're on a roller coaster. Park at the first major scenic outlook and take photos. You'll see some chickens roaming loose up here and maybe you'll see a couple of locals dressed up in native gear playing a conch shell. You want to drive as far as you can on this drive, Kalalau Lookout, where the cliffs drop off into the ocean. Breathtaking! Definitely take your camera! Bus tours can't get up this far but no problem for cars. The road is paved, the problem is the overhang trees that buses would whack out, and maybe the road is too narrow on the curves for a bus.

Did you see the show Dirty Jobs? If you saw the episode about the Red Dirt Shirt Factory you'll want to stop there on your drive back. Its in Eleele, you'll drive through it on your way up to Waimea Canyon so keep an eye out for your return drive. As you're driving back you'll want to turn right on Waialo Road, as if you're heading back to the ocean. The store's a couple of blocks down on the left side and you can buy a couple of nice souvenir red shirts there. But what you also really want is on the other side of the street and its called the Kauai Chocolate Company. They sell their signature Opihi chocolate there and they're sold by weight. I bought 3 pieces for about $4. Its shortbread, caramel, macadamia nut dipped in chocolate. Yum! I also bought the dark chocolate macadamia fudge but I wouldn't recommend it. Wasn't that good.

Then there's the Kauai Coffee Plantation that's about a 10 minute drive from the Red Dirt Shirt place. If you like coffee they have several urns out with different flavors you can sample for free. There's a walking tour around their gardens. They call it a maze. Nope. Its just a path that twists a bit. Its good for a stop and photo opportunities.

Then you drive back to Poipu and stop at the Poipu Shopping mall to have a Puka Dog and lemonade. I'm not a hot dog person but I did try their veggie dog. I wouldn't want to have it every day or anything but when on Kauai..... I mean where else are you going to say you had a Puka Dog with tropical sauces inside a huge honking bun. We got there and there was a couple in front of us who took forever to choose what they wanted inside their bun. While we were eating more people showed up and the line up was out to the sidewalk. Its a little pricey but what isn't in Hawaii. http://www.pukadog.com/

After you've eaten your Puka Dog get back in your car and go to the Spouting Horn Blowhole, maybe 10 minutes or so drive away. Good sized parking lot, beautiful ocean views. More loose hens walking around. Good photo opportunities.

Then head back to Lihue and check out Hilo Hattie or wherever else you want to shop before returning your rental car. Total time? Depends on how long your stay at each place - 5 or 6 hours maybe.

And you'll probably have a much better day than your husband! Have fun!

First time alone in a port (golf widow), thinking of renting a car and trekking out on my own. (Poipu Beach).

- is drive easy

- is beach safe

- any good shopping

- where are car shuttles located at port

Does this sound nuts for a middle age woman to do on her own? (not worried about my driving skills, and am bringing a preprogrammed Garmin).

Driving in Hawaii is easy...speed limits are slow, nobody's in a rush to get anywhere. With your GPS preset, you'll be good to go.

Car rental shuttles are right next to the ship. Get off, walk through the warehouse structure and out the door. The car rental shuttles line up along the fence by the exit of the port. Lihue airport & the car rental lots are about a 5 to 10 minute shuttle drive away. Most of them are open until about 10:30 at night, but double check in case you take your time coming back.

Here's what I found on Poipu Beach: "Head to the South Shore of Kauai and see why the "Travel Channel" once named Poipu Beach America's Best Beach. Nestled in the Poipu resort area, this beach is conveniently located near some of Kauai’s best shopping, dining and golf. This is one of the most popular and safest beaches on the island." (click on the text to go to the page).

You'll be fine and you'll have a great time.

I agree -- driving is a snap in Hawaii --- If you decide to do it, be sure to make a rental car reservation. Many shuttles will not transport people if they don't have a reservation. They will, if they have cars available.

Aloha! :)