Balmoral in 2016

durhamgirl

I wonder why there is nothing in the itineraries for early 2016 for Balmoral. Around Africa for Boudicca and the World for Black Watch but nothing for Balmoral. Does anyone know why? We were looking to do another sector of a Grand Voyage on Balmoral that year.

Hi,

We were also hoping to do a sector of the Balmoral's Grand Voyage that year.

We were a bit disappointed when I spoke to Fred Olsen, on another matter, and asked about it. I was told that they had decided to use Boudicca, with Black Watch, in 2016 for the Grand Voyages and that Balmoral would be used for sailings from the UK.

They said that, as usual, itineraries other than Grand Voyages will be advertised later, most probably September this year.

Hi Callyuk, thanks for that don't fancy either of those ships for a special cruise. Been on both several years ago now much prefer Balmoral. Might have to look at another company!

Just been on the Balmoral and it strikes me as a very tired ship well past it's best. Maybe now a 2 star line.

Hi durhamgirl,

Yes, we also prefer Balmoral, and Braemar, to their other ships; we particularly wouldn't want to spend a great length of time on the Boudicca. Just personal taste, I know.

• 4 weeks later...
Just been on the Balmoral and it strikes me as a very tired ship well past it's best. Maybe now a 2 star line.

I agree, although it pains me to say it. We have had some lovely cruises on Balmoral and I don't like criticising it. The fact that there are no 'grand cruises' planned post 2015 suggests, to me, that FO are having a serioius re-think about the vessel.

wft

Totally agree. Just done 4 months on it and feel I know it well.

During the world cruise there was running water in the main dining room, - problem was it was through the ceiling!!!

They dug the floor up in the Palms restaurant to repair a leak, but 1 week later the water came through the ceiling again.

Our cabin was very tatty, crew continually grinding rust off the outside of the ship.

Never again would we go with FO and its knackered old ships.

I fear for Fred with it's small and frankly old vessels. There is a place in the market for a company running very British trips out of the UK aimed at the more mature market. But it is tricky to see what Fred can do without spending a lot of money. And I do not believe they have it.

But where do you go if you are a Fred fan when they are gone. I suppose Saga would be next.

I am very surprised that FOCL are not employing the "Balmoral" for its grand voyages in 2016. It is rather better than the "Black Watch" on long cruises I would think much better than the "Boudicca". My only thought is that there are fewer cabins to sell and the company will not be forced into the price cutting war as in the past.

Yes, Fred. Olsen ships are old, creak a bit at the edges and need constant maintenance but the character, friendliness and service outweighs these problems. Long may they sail the seas.:)