Seasick remedies

The shot (promethazine) is not preventative. It is for active illness. You can get this from the ship's doctor, for a fee.

Your friend should speak to her pharmacist or doctor to get an individualized course of action for seasickness prevention.

OTC Meclizine (Bonine or non-drowsy Dramamine) is commonly used and well-tolerated, but your friend needs to make sure that it doesn't interact with any of her other medications or any medical conditions she might have.

Some people love the seasickness patch (scopolamine) however many people cannot tolerate its side effects, and again, it may not be safe with her other meds or medical conditions.

One thing that she can try without a consultation with her pharmacist or doctor is acupressure wrist bands.

The wrist bands are drug free, which is nice, especially if you want to have a drink. They worked well for my mother when used from the onset of a second cruise, who had a STRIKING case of seasickness (a result of stubbornness) on her first cruise.

I take Ginger in pill form. So if it's just an aversion to the taste of ginger then this would work.

If there is a reason not to take ginger at all, then I would go with Bonine.

I've used ginger, wrist bands, Bonine/Dramamine, and the patch behind the ear. Ginger & the bands work the best for me. Bonine/Dramamine good too. I highly recommend checking to make sure you get the non-drowsy version. The regular version knocks me out in about 15 minutes. The patch gave me horrible side effects (including blurry vision), so I don't bother with that any more.

Go to a pharmacy (not Walmart), and ask the pharmacist for a bottle of

generic Meclazine. It comes in a bottle of 100 & costs about $10. It's the same as Bonine, only much cheaper. :D

Cruzin Lady

and while you are there, also ask the pharmacist if Meclizine is ok for you to take with any medical conditions or other medicines you may have.

It is irresponsible to recommend or to take OTC medication without asking a professional if it is appropriate for each specific person's medical history.

Our lovely cabin attendant recommended eating a green apple and said it works a treat. We didn't need it but it is worth remembering :)

I can confirm this. I get seasick relatively easily and the green apple solution works quickly.

We were cruising during Superstorm Sandy and experienced some queasiness for the first time. We ate some green apples at our cabin attendents suggestion and it helped a great deal.

My friend does not like ginger of any kind.. So no ginger candies or drinks what has worked for others? Is it true you can go ship Dr for some kind of seasick shot?

Just doesn't like, or cannot tolerate, like in stomach illness? I buy capsules (Walgreens, CVS) and swallow, no taste of ginger.

Yes, a doctor on the ship can give you a shot, but it's only working for short time, and they don't take insurance on the ship, you pay out of pocket, and later work with your insurance to reimburse you (some do, some don't)

If medication like Bonine and Dramamine don't work, your doctor at home can prescribe a patch - I saw people with something looking like a small round band-aid behind the ear. There are side effects, and probably no drinking.

We were cruising during Superstorm Sandy and experienced some queasiness for the first time. We ate some green apples at our cabin attendents suggestion and it helped a great deal.

Green apples...like Granny Smith type green apples?

I've only been sick once...then it was on to the ship's doctor...for a shot :D that was $50 about 8 years ago...it, of course, went on our ships account.

Where do you get the wrist bands?

We are doing a TA in November and I would like to have a plan in case one of us gets sick.

Mary

Meclizine works really well for me and doesn't make me drowsy. I don't tolerate a lot of meds so this is a good option. I take it before I get on the boat, and then first thing each morning for the first day or two. After that, I have my sea legs and am good without it.

You can buy it at Walmart pharmacy behind the counter. Hope that helps!

my wife used to get seasick all the time til someone suggested to take a bonine pill two days before boarding the ship(one a day) & then one pill on sailing day. She has NOT had any symtems since.

Green apples...like Granny Smith type green apples?

I've only been sick once...then it was on to the ship's doctor...for a shot :D that was $50 about 8 years ago...it, of course, went on our ships account.

Where do you get the wrist bands?

We are doing a TA in November and I would like to have a plan in case one of us gets sick.

Mary

Yes; Granny Smith apples.

OTC Meclizine (Bonine or non-drowsy Dramamine) is commonly used and well-tolerated, but your friend needs to make sure that it doesn't interact with any of her other medications or any medical conditions she might have.

Some people love the seasickness patch (scopolamine) however many people cannot tolerate its side effects, and again, it may not be safe with her other meds or medical conditions.

Another problem with the patch is that depending on your medical insurance plan, the patch can be quite expensive. For us, it is $50 for 4 patches.

We have found that the Meclizine does effectively the same job. It is cheap (box of 8 is $1.50 at Walmart) and you only need to take one pill a day with few, if any side effects.

I am quite sensitive to motion sickness. So I just take the pill everyday no matter what the state of the seas is.

The patches on our insurance are $45 for 4 patches.

And they make me SO, SO thirsty, I just can't hardly stand it! And, they're supposed to be waterproof and this last cruise, it fell off the first day after I took a shower. So I gave up on those!

I ended up taking Bonine, at night, so that I didn't have the drowsiness effects during the day. I also wore the wristbands (for the most part-they're kind of tight).

I didn't have any issues at all!

I get sea sick just looking at the water- but love to cruise. I have tried many things, from the shots to wristbands- I have also used the patches behind the ear. This is what I found that works for me the best- it is Meclazine! I read about it on cruise critic and am so grateful. The patch made my face all puffy every morning, the wristbands work great, but tend to hurt after a few days, the shot did nothing but make me sleep. Everyone is different, but Meclazine worked best for me. Hope it works for others. It was $1.98 at Walmart for 16 pills.

Archived