Balmoral - World Cruise first sector to Dubai

jeanlyon

We have just returned from Balmoral Southampton out to Dubai as part of the world cruise.

We suffered Hurricane Force 12 winds for the first 3 days and only made 5 knots, thus missing Cadiz and Minorca and going to Gib instead. Very disappointing.

We had a good time on board, but I have to say the food in the MDR was very poor on some nights, lukewarm soup, lukewarm meat and if I see Norwegian Salmon one more time!! We had Creme Brulee one night - there was no brulee on top. Three of us sent it back. We then had it again 2 nights later and it was fine. It was then on the menu AGAIN 2 nights after that. The beef was excellent and beautifully cooked, but in all, I found I was leaving my food. Carrots and peas with everything. We were a table for 6 and our 4 companions were seasoned Fred Olsen passengers. They said it was very poor and we compared it to Braemar last year which was fantastic.

Entertainment was very good mostly and we joined the choir which was great fun. There were over 100 of us and we gave a performance at the end of the sector.

Jean

We have just returned from Balmoral Southampton out to Dubai as part of the world cruise.

We suffered Hurricane Force 12 winds for the first 3 days and only made 5 knots, thus missing Cadiz and Minorca and going to Gib instead. Very disappointing.

We had a good time on board, but I have to say the food in the MDR was very poor on some nights, lukewarm soup, lukewarm meat and if I see Norwegian Salmon one more time!! We had Creme Brulee one night - there was no brulee on top. Three of us sent it back. We then had it again 2 nights later and it was fine. It was then on the menu AGAIN 2 nights after that. The beef was excellent and beautifully cooked, but in all, I found I was leaving my food. Carrots and peas with everything. We were a table for 6 and our 4 companions were seasoned Fred Olsen passengers. They said it was very poor and we compared it to Braemar last year which was fantastic.

Entertainment was very good mostly and we joined the choir which was great fun. There were over 100 of us and we gave a performance at the end of the sector.

Jean

I'm really sorry to hear that, and not only for the selfish reason that I've booked the last leg of the cruise! Obviously FO couldn't do anything about the weather, but the food is most definitely something which they should get right, particularly when you had to miss two ports. I can appreciate that the galley staff may have been suffering from the bad weather as well to start with, but that excuse doesn't last.

Did you complain about it, and if so what response did you get?

I'm glad that you enjoyed the other aspects of the cruise; did you go on many organised excursions, or just do your own thing in the various ports?

We put it on the feedback form at the end, but I may write to them now that I'm home.

We did our own thing in Malta & dubai. Went to Petra on an organised tour which was expensive, but absolutely worth it. In Salalah we did "Salalah On Your Own". That was a big mistake, as we were dropped in a very run down area with a 2 km walk to the real town which we didn't bother with as it was too hot. With hindsight a proper tour would have been better. Luckily it wasn't expensive, as after half an hour we got back on the bus, as did a number of others.

Another couple of comments on the food. One night I had Bruschietta (sp?) as a starter. It consisted of some chopped up tomato and onion (very small) with two bits of toasted ciabatta. Another night I ordered Tzatziki with pitta bread. tiny amount of Tzatziki and the pitta bread was like cardboard and inedible.

We are on Black Watch in May, so will be interesting to compare.

By the way, the food at lunchtime, both in the MDRs and palms Cafe was excellent and so was breakfast. Very strange.

We put it on the feedback form at the end, but I may write to them now that I'm home.

We did our own thing in Malta & dubai. Went to Petra on an organised tour which was expensive, but absolutely worth it. In Salalah we did "Salalah On Your Own". That was a big mistake, as we were dropped in a very run down area with a 2 km walk to the real town which we didn't bother with as it was too hot. With hindsight a proper tour would have been better. Luckily it wasn't expensive, as after half an hour we got back on the bus, as did a number of others.

Another couple of comments on the food. One night I had Bruschietta (sp?) as a starter. It consisted of some chopped up tomato and onion (very small) with two bits of toasted ciabatta. Another night I ordered Tzatziki with pitta bread. tiny amount of Tzatziki and the pitta bread was like cardboard and inedible.

We are on Black Watch in May, so will be interesting to compare.

By the way, the food at lunchtime, both in the MDRs and palms Cafe was excellent and so was breakfast. Very strange.

Well, it may be worth dropping them a line; I suspect that getting an email and not just the feedback form may make a difference. It is very odd that it was only at dinner that the weird dishes and the un brûléed brûlées turned up; I shall steer clear of the ones you mention at any rate. I have booked the first evening sitting since there are so many sea days on the last leg of the world cruise; if the worst comes to the worst at dinner there's always the late night bites:)

Petra is on my bucket list so I'm really glad you enjoyed it; it has always seemed to me to be the essence of romance. I have never been to Malta so that's also there, but I wanted to see the Panama Canal and didn't want two long flights bracketing it so riding the Balmoral all the way home seems a good way of doing it.

I'm glad the food didn't spoil the rest of the cruise for you!

It's interesting that after the posts about the lukewarm food on the Braemar on the Southampton to Canaries cruise, which seem to have been noticed by FO, the food on my subsequent Braemar West Africa cruise was hot when it should have been hot, and not when it shouldn't have been.

Thank you, Jean, for flagging this up both on board and here; it looks as if Kathy has benefitted :)

My daughter is a bit sad that she can't get on the Balmoral in the Caribbean; she doesn't get nearly enough hols for the whole leg but Caribbean to Soton would have been do-able. Perhaps another time!

Hi Jean

I was sad to read your post as I am booked on the end part of that cruise. I fly out to Los Angeles on the 19th March and board the ship at San Diego. This will be the first time with Fred Olsen and as I am a women travelling alone I am nervous already without hearing the food is not good. I do hope complaints have been noted and it's improved by the time I get there.

Sheena

Hi Sheena. I didn't say it wasn't good, just some problems, but looking above, it seems to be fine. My friend has always travelled alone on Fred O and has had great cruises, so I'm sure you will meet lots of fun folk. We did.

On board at present NO problems with food or service Having a great time

Kathy

Hi Kathy, glad you are enjoying cruise, we are boarding in San Diego. The food on Balmoral last year was good. The food on FO is usually good, with few exceptions. Must admit on our last cruise on Black Watch in October we enjoyed the lunchtimes rather than the evening meal. Who is the entertainer in the Lido lounge? Thanks, Carolyn