How does customs and immigration work in LA for cruise to Mexico

SA71

Considering going on a closed loop cruise from LA to Mexican Riviera in late 2015 with NCL. I am Canadian and as such will have a passport as I require that to enter the USA via air to get to LAX.

Do we have to go through immigration at each port in Mexico? (Cabo, PV, Mazatlan). How does this work? Seems this would take a long time and would cause massive delays in getting off the ship?

Thanks in advance.

Considering going on a closed loop cruise from LA to Mexican Riviera in late 2015 with NCL. I am Canadian and as such will have a passport as I require that to enter the USA via air to get to LAX.

Do we have to go through immigration at each port in Mexico? (Cabo, PV, Mazatlan). How does this work? Seems this would take a long time and would cause massive delays in getting off the ship?

Thanks in advance.

You will only have to clear Customs and Immigration at Los Angeles. The Mexican ports only require a photo ID and your room key card to prove you are a passenger on the ship.

Passport information is gathered by the cruise line during the check-in process.

The "ship & all passengers" clear local immigration upon arrival in each port as a unit. Passengers don't get involved and it doesn't take more than 15-30 minutes. (about the time it takes to secure the ship at the dock)

As you leave the ship, you will log out/off with your cruise card. You may be asked to show a picture ID to get back into the port area and you will use your cruise card to log back into/on the ship. Your passport will stay in your cabin safe during the cruise.

Upon your return to LA, expect to experience the same type customs & immigration routine that you experienced when originally arriving at LAX (maybe less as you will be in transit back to Canada)

Enjoy!

Edited by MSN-Travelers

Thanks for the info. Sounds painless enough.

I will actually clear US customs here in Vancouver Canada before the flight to LAX.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Forums mobile app

In Long Beach (Carnival) and San Pedro (everyone else) Non-US have debarked at the same time, going thru a separate line. Haven't simply handed over our customs form in a long while.

At times Non-US will clear onboard in the very early morning.

Edited by SadieN