Grenada

wolf7

pretty town is st georges, there are lots of duty free shops in the cruise terminal

the careenage is very pretty waterside walk with little coffee shops....turn right outside the terminal and follow the road thru the tunnel about 10 minutes walk (unless the ship actually docks in the careenage?)

or

you could turn left and walk up the hill to the catherderal, theres a vibrant market and local shops on the way (cheaper than in the terminal)

nearest beach would be about 10/15 minutes in a taxi or the water taxi from the pier takes aboutthe same but they will wait untill the boat is full before leaving

pretty town is st georges, there are lots of duty free shops in the cruise terminal

the careenage is very pretty waterside walk with little coffee shops....turn right outside the terminal and follow the road thru the tunnel about 10 minutes walk (unless the ship actually docks in the careenage?)

or

you could turn left and walk up the hill to the catherderal, theres a vibrant market and local shops on the way (cheaper than in the terminal)

nearest beach would be about 10/15 minutes in a taxi or the water taxi from the pier takes aboutthe same but they will wait untill the boat is full before leaving

Grenada is one of our favourite ports - I guess the short stay has something to do with trying to avoid another sea day with the hike over to Curacao and Bonaire (also short stop). Question raised in my mind - 'would I rather have two short stops or one full day in port and a sea day'? Quite a dilemma that one! :rolleyes:

But if you have a short stop I'd agree the Carenage is a great area. As geo says, walk through the tunnel. If you turn right, there is a great bar there - Ocean Bar which is on stilts in the water and makes the best cocktails ever! ;)

Thanks

To both of you for the replies we will probably have a stroll around the town will there be much open at 08:00 on the morning because after the flight may be up early on the morning.

Also the same question for Bonaire but slightly longer six hours at port there.

thanks

wolf7

Thanks

To both of you for the replies we will probably have a stroll around the town will there be much open at 08:00 on the morning because after the flight may be up early on the morning.

Also the same question for Bonaire but slightly longer six hours at port there.

thanks

wolf7

My tip is go to the beach first thing and walk off the flight, Grand Anse is a mile or 2 long, up and down there and the 'air legs' will be back to normal. Then there will still be time for a stroll around the port.

tbh the caribbean doesnt really wake up until late morning

but that doesnt really matter for tourists, taxis/tour operaters/beach vendors will be there as soon as the ship docks.... maybe the shops in the terminal in st georges will be open early too if there is a ship in

i dont think you can do grand anse by taxi and the town in 4 hours unless its a whistle stop at the beach

‎kralendijk is also a small place but a pretty town nice for a stroll an hour would cover it, there are lots of (tourist) shops and bars and a nice waterfront walk/couple of museums etc.....again taxis will line up as soon as the ship docks for island tours/beach etc bonaire is all about the snorkelling

Grenada is one of our favourite ports - I guess the short stay has something to do with trying to avoid another sea day with the hike over to Curacao and Bonaire (also short stop). Question raised in my mind - 'would I rather have two short stops or one full day in port and a sea day'? Quite a dilemma that one! :rolleyes:

it is a dilemma isnt it kruz?.....we complained about the extra sea day on latin gems....so now we have 2 half days in grenada and bonaire instead (and also aruba sometimes too)

you cant really venture too far in half a day on an island?

i guess its down to simple geography/distances…..feel a bit sorry for thoms here…they just cant please all the people

Quote not working again!!

i guess its down to simple geography/distances…..feel a bit sorry for thoms here…they just cant please all the people - geo

I agree geo - bad burnt as scalded! If you are going to include the ABC islands they have little in the way of options: 2x sea days with full days in port, 1x sea day with 2x shorter port stops or ..................... go back to Margarita Island! :D:D

I don't envy them. No doubt feedback will help them decide whether this pattern is working for them and their passnegers. But you know how I feel about sea days - especially in the Caribbean where all I want to do is get off onto those islands, but I'm not quite sure which of those options I actually prefer other than not too keen on short stops - perhaps I'd actually go for another sea day (can't believe I'm saying that!!!) :confused:

Something tells me we are the only ones who enjoyed Margarita Island.

We had a great tour in a boat round the mangroves. They took a sea horse and star fish out in glass jars for us to see. Then a marine life museum which was fascinating - plenty to see. Then what I called cowboy country. We got out of the coach on what could have been the set for old cowboy films with loads of massive cacti. We got back and changed and went to the beach. OK it was a public beach but the water was great for swimming. The beds were $10 for 2 with canopies. A bar on the beach served beers at $3. Had 2 hours there and could see the Dream from the beach. There was a wildlife area at the edge of the beach and we could watch the pelicans diving.

I thought it was a great destination.

Edited by gillhalfpint

tbh gill, margarita island is a beautiful island and I am glad i have visited there and seen it....the problem was that the magaritans/venezuelans took the fees & cash from the ship and then didn’t provide an inch space for passengers to go....the little beach was already crammed before we got there...ok its their island...but they were happy to take our cash and then (as far as they were concerned) we could all push off:(