Galveston Overnight Questions

Sundsgn

What would you say is easier for a family of 4 with younger kids 6,8? This is our first time as a family, and first time driving to a port instead of flying.

-Booking a cruise package at a hotel and parking at the hotel with transfers to and from included?

or

-Booking just the hotel and parking at the port itself?

Just want it to be a little less stressful, wondering if it would be easier to be just taken there instead of figuring out traffic :)

Thoughts welcome!

I live in Austin and when I cruise with my kids (10 and 11) we like to drive down the night before and stay at the Holiday Inn in Webster. It is about 20 minutes from the port. It is usually $100ish a night and the kids get free breakfast with an adult buying breakfast. Webster has a ton of restaurants and a Target if you are like me and forget to pack something. There is an indoor pool so the kids like that. It is just a simple, clean hotel and an easy drive.

To answer the OP'S question, our experience has been it's far less stressful to park near the port, instead of shuttling back and forth pre and post cruise. Used the Hilton shuttle one time and it was a nightmare upon our return. Shuttle was late, crowd was getting quite annoyed and a real free for all to board the shuttle when it showed up. We hailed a cab to avoid the chaos.

Since that first experience, we have parked across the street at Galveston Park N Cruise. Disembark, stroll across the street and you are on your way.

We are cruising for the first time with our kids, 13, 10, 9 in April 2015 on Magic. DH and I have cruised before this is a first for the kids. We plan to drive-in the day before, stay outside of Galveston, maybe 20 min or so simply because the hotels on the island are seriously overpriced. Related to parking we have not decided if Park-N Cruise across the street or port parking is best as of yet. I have read many posts where they drop off their luggage and then park across the street and walk over with their carry-on. I am not sold on either method just yet though.

I've used the official parking twice, EZ Cruise twice and last time Park N Cruise. Hands down I liked Park N Cruise the best. They put our bags on a cart and carried them to the street corner, we literally just walked them across the street. On the way back we had to carry bags to the car since they were busy but it still it was a walk across the street any maybe a block further and we were on the road. No waiting for a shuttle or lines to leave.