Flight Changed. ....what to do with extra time?

KRD

I just noticed AA changed my return flight time from Miami to Detroit.

How can they do this? Does this mean the original flight was cancelled? I do not see it anywhere on the web....

They have an 11:20 flight available but after looking in other threads I realize this is not a realistic option.

What am I going to do at the Miami airport with my 6 year old for 7 hours! Yikes! :eek:

I have a transfer with RCI from the pier to the airport - do these only go at specific times or do they run non-stop?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! thanks!

I just noticed AA changed my return flight time from Miami to Detroit.

How can they do this? Does this mean the original flight was cancelled? I do not see it anywhere on the web....

They have an 11:20 flight available but after looking in other threads I realize this is not a realistic option.

What am I going to do at the Miami airport with my 6 year old for 7 hours! Yikes! :eek:

I have a transfer with RCI from the pier to the airport - do these only go at specific times or do they run non-stop?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! thanks!

Since you didn't post dates, it is hard to tell what other flight options may be available. For most of AA's schedule, there is a 2:55 flight, a 3:55 flight and a 4:50 flight. Those flight have connections in La Guardia or Chicago. The only nonstop for the entire schedule is at 7:10, so I would assume that is the flight you are inquiring about.

So you do have options, with a connection. AA will rebook you on one of the other flights, space available, at no fee. You will have to call to make the change, if you care to do so.

Otherwise, look into a short day tour of Miami, either booked from the ship or independently. The transfers run all the time from/to the ship-once a bus is full it leaves. However, you will have to be off the ship NO LATER than 10:30AM, so your options for transfers will end at that time.

You may also want to rent a car and do a tour yourself. A rental for the day should run no more $45.00. A place for your luggage and you can go to the beach. But as crowded as Miami is around the beach and parking at a premium and especially with a child, I think some kind of organized tour is best.

I would plan on renting a car and hitting a beach, taking a Miami Ducks Tour, having a casual lunch outdoors etc.

I suggest you go to the EastCoast departures boards and ask for ideas there. You'll get more.

No, I wouldn't sit in the airport that long. Too much to do in the area. Check on the other flight options if you don't want the extra time in Miami. You didn't say when you are travelling, which would help with different options too.

Thanks for the info....we are going to be there in mid December.

As for the flights....I have a direct flight. I do not want to have a stopover anywhere. Too much of a hassle with a child in tow.

I will keep my flight and figure out what to do.

I am wondering if the airline will take my luggage in the morning so I can go the day without it. I will call AA.

I will look into the Miami day excursions. Great idea. thanks so much!:D

Since you are flying AA and cruising on RCCL, you have the option of using the Onboard Luggage Valet Service. How this service works:

Sometime midcruise paperwork will be placed in your stateroom to sign up for this service. You fill out the paperwork and turn it in at guest relations. You will be charged a per person fee on your onboard account (it was $20 per person on my cruise).

At the end of the cruise, the cruiseline checks you in for your flights and will leave your boarding passes and luggage tags in your stateroom. You put the luggage tags on your luggage and leave them outside your door the last night of the cruise.

After you've disembarked and gone through immigration, you grab your luggage and then drop it off right outside customs. Your bags are taken to the airport for you. You are then are free to do what you want until your flight time.

You can look into a post cruise excursion through the cruiseline (I did the everglades airboats which was very fun) or go off on your own and explore.

If you don't sign up for the onboard luggage service, you won't be able to check your bags in at the airport until late afternoon for your evening flight.

Archived