Need help for Japan

goya

owenfinn,

could you tell me in japonese how to write on a paper,

4 tickets to Kyoto by train,

If we dont need a reservation, I would go in the JRline, and

come back with the Shikansen, what do you think?

thank you again for your help

I`ve been to Kyoto a few times but I`ve always used the shinkansen. The regular train will take a long time...but if you don`t mind it can be done. Most people who want to save some money take an overnight bus. It`s more comfortable - you can sleep and won`t waste a day.

By the way, there are 3 different shinkansen services ranging from express to local - "Nozomi" is fewest stops, "Hikari" more, and "kodama" is most. The local is a bit slower but cheaper. Whatever you decide, "I would like four tickets to Kyoto" is "Kyoto yuki o yon mai o-kudasai."

goya-

In the Osaka and Kyoto train stations, look for the information booth. There are usually English-speaking employees who can assist you. The agent who helped us even walked us to the ticketing machine and pressed all the buttons for us. The express trains will cost a bit more but is worth it since you will be on the faster shinkansen trains (we were on the N700 series).

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2018.html

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2016.html

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2323.html

http://www.hyperdia.com/

http://www.planettokyo.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/detail/navid/17/cid/12/

If you are concerned about arriving late via the bullet trains (shinkansen), then I would recommend staying at the Granvia Hotel in either Kyoto and/or Osaka as the hotels are situated directly above the train stations (we stayed at the Granvia Osaka for two nights).

In Kyoto we stayed at the Monterrey which was centrally located. We took the local buses or trains everywhere but we spent 4 nights so we had plenty of time to do everything on our own at a leisurely pace. The geishas are usually seen in the early evening in Ginza as they are heading to their "appointments" (I took several photos of geishas in rickshaws as they were being transported).

My sister and mom stayed at the Washington Hotel (they told me their rooms very tiny). Shinjuku is a major station so it is HUGE and very long with many entrances/exits. However, there are lots of bakeries, restaurants and shops. If you can find it, get some "cream puffs" at a bakery called "Beard Papas". (I stayed at the Grand Prince Asakasa because we wanted a quieter area and a larger room).

Thank you very much owenfinn and dushi. It is a great help, so I have written everything in my little book:)

Supose we are going to take the shinkansen, the quick one!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice for the creamy muffins, hopè to find them, because inJapan the sweatees are not very nice, but maybe better for my figure after the cruise jajajjajaa

I was looking for the name of the station in Osaka, but I cant see it.

We arrive about 2pm and hopefully we are about 3pm in the station.

So I wanted to see how often the Nozomi shinkansen runs a day.

goya-

The name is "Shin Osaka" station.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin-%C5%8Csaka_Station

I tried to upload some pictures of the N700 shinkansen and the "Beard Papa" cream puffs but the file is too big for this website.

Bring a book with blank pages and no lines. Many Japanese temples and several tourist sites have special custom rubber stamps (sello de goma) and inkpads. It is a nice memento and souvenir - best of all, it's free.

Japanese desserts are beautifully made but usually not sweet. Many pastries are made with bean paste. The "cream puffs" (bocaditos de crema) from the "Beard Papa" shop are available in vanilla, custard, strawberry and chocolate - very yummy. There are many locations throughout Tokyo.

Great, this is the station for the shinkansen, so We just take it both ways, much easier.:)

hummm dont talk about muffins, I am on a diet to loose some weight before I go on the cruise:D

Hi all

I hope it is okay to ask here-

Can anyone tell me if I will be able to get easily from Narita airport to Tokyo?

I have read that the limousine bus is great, but when I look at the timetable, it seems the last bus departs at 5.05 pm. As my flight only arrives a short while before that, I need an alternative. I will be carrying a suitcase so I am not too sure about trains. I don't really want an expensive taxi.

Any help much appreciated.:)

Look for signs in the airport for the Narita Express. It will take you to Tokyo Station. Should be about 3000 yen as I recall. There are usually attendants near the ticket buying machines who can help you with buying a ticket.

Be sure to hold onto the tickets - you will need them to exit at your destination station.

owenfinn are you allright? Hope so.

I dont know if there will now any changes in the ports of Japan. Still 5 weeks to go, so I hope they dont canceled the cruise, because I will loose the money from the flights.

• 3 weeks later...

goya-

From what I have been reading, things are slowly getting back to normal in Japan, especially in the southern part of the country. My husband's co-worker lived in Japan for years and called some of his previous colleagues in Tokyo. Hopefully your cruise will still stop in the scheduled ports. It would be a shame for you to not be able to experience the warmth and the beauty of the country.

Dushi,

first of all they canceled our flight. After RCI changed the ports to some not very good once, because we have been there 1 year ago.

Shanghai

Hongkong

Hue

Dha Nang

Singapur

2 days on sea.

In HK they only stay half day, so poor tourists on the ship. They dont give them no credit on board.

Good job we changed our cruise to one starting in Dubai, going to Oman, and 3 ports in Southindia.

We are leaving next friday.

So next year we hope to be able to go to Japan.

thanks to everybody who helped me so much :)

• 2 weeks later...

Goya-

Too bad that you won't get to experience the beauty of Japan this year but I can see why the travel industry is changing their itineraries.

Have a wonderful time on your Dubai and Oman trip. My boss was in Egypt and Dubai last year and loved it. My other colleague just got back from a 3 week trip to India and misses it already.

Bon Voyage!!

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
If I were you I`d use a luggage forwarding service to have your heavy bags delivered from the pier to your hotel. The staff at the Osanbashi pier information desk can direct you one of these services. The Japanese word for the service is "Takuhaibin" (pronounced "tah koo hi bean"). The service is fast (same day if the ship arrives in the morning), surprisingly cheap(about 1000 to 2000yen) and worry free. My family and I use this service frequently when traveling within the country. Some more info here:

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+53323

Sans luggage you will have no problem getting to Shinjuku by train. You will take the Minato Mirai line which becomes the Tokyu Toyoko line after Yokohama Station. From the pier walk 5 minutes to Nihon Odori Station. Every other train to Shibuya Station should be an express that you will want to take to save some time. The express trains have a red light (as opposed to blue for local trains) above or next to the door of every car.

In Shibuya, you will need to change for the Yamanote line for Shinjuku. Leave Shinjuku station at the west exit for your hotel. More info:

http://www.osanbashi.com/en/tourist/

Many years later...I find your post ! Thank you. The information is perfect and I appreciate your time. Expectantly the info is still up to date! ;)