MS Volendam Stateroom

katididnt

:)Hi,

Has anyone ever travelled in an oceanview stateroom on MS Volendam?

We usually have a balcony but decided we would try another option this time - travelling in February next year.

We have travelled with Princess, Royal Carribean, Carnival, Azamara, P & O before, and have an upcoming Celebrity cruise in November. The Holland America cruise will be our first time with them.

Some advice about the stateroom and the ship would be appreciated.

Cheers - katididnt:)

Not on the Volendam, but on her 'sister' ship - Amsterdam (three 14 day Alaska sailings). May I recommend one of the 'secret' oceanview cabins on the aft of the Navigation deck? I believe those 'secret' cabin numbers on the Volendam are 7086 and 7085 (with 7086 being the better of the two because 7085 has the staircase somewhat blocking its window). Literally five steps out your cabin door to a small, public but little known/little used aft viewing deck. There are loungers for the wonderful wake views, and a staircase leading right up to the aft Lido deck for quick snacks at the Lido buffet or drinks at the SeaView Bar, not to mention the aft outdoor swimming pool. We have found these 'secret' cabins to be the best bargain on the smaller HAL ships. There is a large window overlooking that aft deck, with the bed placed sideways so that there is a walking aisle that allows you to get right up to the window, instead of it being at the head of the bed. That aft deck (which is covered, BTW) is like having a balcony without the price.

Also on the Amsterdam, we stayed in an oceanview on the aft of the Main Deck - just two doors away from another 'secret' deck, and one flight of stairs up to the wonderful walk-waround Promenade - the largest 'balcony' on the ship!

Good luck in your mission!

I concur with the previous poster, although I have not had the cabins that she mentions. I have enjoyed that "semi-private" aft deck, however.

I have had 3 staterooms on the Volendam over the years. If one selects an outside along the sides of the ship, having the beds made into twins and not a Queen provides a clear path from the door of the stateroom to the window in the side of the ship. In my opinion, this provides more interior room and makes it easier to move around in the cabin.

Are there specific questions about the accommodations that you would like answered?

The Volendam is a lovely ship, whose decor theme is "Flowers" which I enjoy. She is going to undergo some interior changes in her next drydock with the addition of Lanai Staterooms on Lower Promenade Deck and a change of the Piano Bar area into the "Mix". I would have no interest in the Lanai cabins, although many do like them. These cabins are already smaller than the outside cabins on the Main and Dolphin Deck. I have no experience on a ship with the "Mix".

• 1 month later...

Sorry about late reply, I have only just located replies to my question about staterooms of the MS Volendam.

We have recently changed our ocean view cabin for a verandah, as there was a reduction in price. Now in 7081, which may also have the access that 7084 & 7085, hopefully. ???

The "Flowers" decor sounds lovely.

Thanks to Assateague Island Princess and rkacruiser:)