New Orleans with NO car...

winston71

we are spending 2 days in NO an I am thinking we don't need a car. we are staying at the La Quinta on the FQ. I feel like we can get a cab from the airport to the hotel and then walk or take taxis. how does this sound to you?

Is there a store where we can get water to take on the ship?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by winston71

we are spending 2 days in NO an I am thinking we don't need a car. we are staying at the La Quinta on the FQ. I feel like we can get a cab from the airport to the hotel and then walk or take taxis. how does this sound to you?

Is there a store where we can get water to take on the ship?

Thanks in advance!

Take a taxi from the airport to downtown, or you can take the shuttle:

http://www.airportshuttleneworleans.com/

http://www.flymsy.com/pagedisplay.asp?p1=6016

Once you are in the Quarter you have everything at your disposal. You do not want a car in the city and the pier is right downtown so it's a quick hop over there the morning of your cruise. Unless you are a hard core drinker and want to see many other drunks and wasted convention goers I would avoid Bourbon Street. Spend time on Royal Street (antiques and fantastic little boutiques), the French Market, St Louis Cathedral with all the street artists around it. NOLA is a true arts and music city and you will love it. I think it is one of the best ports in the country - and the FOOD, well I'm sure you know all about that!

Enjoy

The French Quarter is easily walkable, and I can tell you from experience that a car in NOLA is more of a hindrance than a convenience.

As for water, there is a CVS and a Walgreens on both Decatur near Jackson Square and on Canal near Bourbon.

We're headed to New Orleans too. Torn between booking the Country Inn & Suites on Magazine St or Hilton Garden convention center. Definitely want to go to Cafe du Monde and wander around eat somewhere maybe grab a drink? Both hotels get awesome reviews on trip advisor. Im leaning towards the Country Inn just cuz it appears closer! Any input, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Oh and we can get both hotels for under $90 on lmt club.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're headed to New Orleans too. Torn between booking the Country Inn & Suites on Magazine St or Hilton Garden convention center. Definitely want to go to Cafe du Monde and wander around eat somewhere maybe grab a drink? Both hotels get awesome reviews on trip advisor. Im leaning towards the Country Inn just cuz it appears closer! Any input, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Oh and we can get both hotels for under $90 on lmt club.

Thanks!!

DTC - I wouldn't stay on Magazine unless you want to be in the Garden District. It's a wonderful area with shops and restaurants but if you want to be in the French Quarter it's a hike. The Hilton Garden will put you right next to the port but still a walk from the FQ. I wouldn't recommend wandering back there at night even though it is a decent walk. I would choose a property in the FQ or on Canal if you could. Remember that we are in Mardi Gras season down here so the city will be busy with people, parades and general madness :)

The Country Inn is listed in the French Quarter. But u think its a ways away? We arent coming to town until apr 18th. Is mardi gras still going on then?

My plan is to go to Mothers to eat & there is a Cafe du monde right by the river that appears to be somewhat close to hotel & restaurant.

Is there a particular hotel you would recommend??

Thanks

Tami

• 1 month later...
The Country Inn is listed in the French Quarter. But u think its a ways away? We arent coming to town until apr 18th. Is mardi gras still going on then?

My plan is to go to Mothers to eat & there is a Cafe du monde right by the river that appears to be somewhat close to hotel & restaurant.

Is there a particular hotel you would recommend??

Thanks

Tami

Just returned from NOLA. We stayed at Country Inn and Suites , wonderful hotel and friendly, helpful staff. Its within walking distance of the French Quarter, I would estimate about 3 business blocks. I would stay there again pre or post cruise.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app

We love NOLA and the convenience of being able to walk everywhere is awesome. You'll soon find that you can walk faster than driving most of the time. :p Plus the traffic is CRAZY there.

We have stayed at Drury Inn (located on Poydras) and also the Blake Hotel (also located on Poydras) and it's right down the street from the Riverwalk and an easy walk to everything around. It's located right on the street car route too. There's also a grocery store a block away from there and we were able to buy our soda prior to boarding. We have also stayed in the Warehouse district at Springhill Suites and liked it there too (which isn't "too" far and was able to walk to the same grocery store for soda ahead of time). :)

We had a great stay at the Best Western St Christopher, 114 Magazine St.

We were 1/2 block from Canal St/French Quarter, and we were only a 5-10 minute walk to the Julia St port.

The room was a nice size with character (exposed brick), and we were in walking distance to most attractions.

• 1 month later...

Ok we sail in 10 days and coming into Nola a day early, but not real early..Can someone tell me about Riverwalk, we are staying at the Drury Inn, is that walkable in the evening from the hotel? Is it open in the evening?

We plan on staying a day after the cruise to visit the French Quarter.:)

Thanks everyone for any information.

Ok we sail in 10 days and coming into Nola a day early, but not real early..Can someone tell me about Riverwalk, we are staying at the Drury Inn, is that walkable in the evening from the hotel? Is it open in the evening?

We plan on staying a day after the cruise to visit the French Quarter.:)

Thanks everyone for any information.

Absolutely doable. We have stayed at Drury and The Blake (next to Drury) and walked straight down the road and you are there at the entrance. Very easy.