need info on staying in Seward

massachusetts_mama

I'm hoping to take my family (4 people, kids 14 & 10) on Radiance of the Seas (RCCL) at the end of August 2007. It goes from Vancouver to Seward, so I'm planning to spend 2 nights in Seward. Here's what I'm thinking we'll do:

- rent a car

- cruise in Kenai Fjord National Park

- visit the Ididaride dog kennel (kids would like that)

- drive to Cooper Landing and and do a rafting trip

- Maybe visit Exit Glacier if there's time

- return car and take the train to Anchroage for trip home

Does this sound like a two-day itinerary to you? Can anyone recommend a good place to stay for a couple of nights?

Yes these are very good options, but you really don't need a car for 2 days, 1 would be enough since your Kenai fjords boat trip takes up a day, Seavey's has free shuttles.

A one day rental would work well with your raft trip and visiting Exit Glacier.

Glacier Lady has several listings of lodgings. Do a search of her recent posts. The Holiday Inn is right at the marina.

We have many types of places to stay in a couple different areas. My favorite is Saltwater Lodge out of town, but right on the shore. In town, Swan's Nest would be a cheaper place for a family than hotels, and Seward Waterfront Lodging has a great location in town too.

Closer to the boat harbor is Holiday Inn which has a small pool, Marina Motel, Murphy's Motel, Breeze Inn. Also many B&B's in town and cabins located out of town. Let me know if you want some more ideas.

The end of August is a great time for fishing. Kayaking is very popular too. Rafting up by Cooper Landing sounds like alot of fun. I did notice today that there was some rafters on Resurrection river by Exit Glacier, but I'm not sure if it's someone starting up a local commercial venture. They did have signs.

Seward is very easy to get around without a vehicle.

How would I get to these accommodations without a vehicle - by taxi? Is it easy to get a taxi?

Usually around 5-10 min wait for a taxi since the town is so small. Fares around town $5, out of town $10 and Exit Glacier is $50 rt. All the taxis are mini vans, so it's convienent if you have luggage or a small group can all fit together. Most of the drivers are locals that live here all year. There are a couple companies and a new guy in town that already has a bad rep going so if you don't like the service/price/vehicle your getting, switch and find a driver/company you like. You can check with the chamber of commerce to see who they recommend since I can't post it here. :) http://www.seward.com

The taxi I took last year, was a regular taxi. There also were several like it lined up at the cruise dock.

A regular taxi???? like a car??? There isn't ANY vehicles other than minivans or blazers in this town as taxi!

We have many types of places to stay in a couple different areas. My favorite is Saltwater Lodge out of town, but right on the shore. In town, Swan's Nest would be a cheaper place for a family than hotels, and Seward Waterfront Lodging has a great location in town too.

My daughter stayed at the Swans Nest over Memorial Day weekend and was very pleased. Her room had a loft so what Glacier Lady said about it being a good choice for a family is very true! The rates were great and even included a contental breakfast.

So with that said: Glacier Lady must know her stuff...Great advice - a big thank you! It's always nice to hear what a local has to say about a destination.

I would recommend Lowell Point Cottage. It is a good choice, especially for a family. There is a large bedroom with multiple beds downstairs, and an upstairs with 2. This cottage is owned/operated by the same people that own the Alaska Saltwater Lodge, so you can utilize their deck, which is right on the water. They also operate a wonderful tour of Kenai Fjords park, with a limited number of people on board (as opposed to the larger boats). My husband and I have just returned from AK. We stayed at the cottage on May 2th and 28th, and took their cruise. We have no complaints whatsoever. We saw humbacks very close to the boat, and Orcas (they saw us and swam towards the boat), in addition to harbor seals, stellar sea lions, etc. We also stayed up in Coopers Landing and took the scenic raft trip. It was a great time!

Glacier Lady, what do you think of River Valley Cabins?

http://www.rivervalleycabins.com/cabins-kenai-rates.htm

I'm between those, Saltwater, and Seward Waterfront Lodging. It is going to be me, my husband, and my parents.

Sorry to hijack the thread.........but, all good info!

Would be my last pick of the 3, Saltwater Lodge #1. River Valley Cabins are out of town, very woodsy and can have lots of skeeters, but they are cute, well kept cabins. Ididaride is right next door so you have a good chance of hearing howling dogs, but also a good chance of maybe a moose passing by.

Would be my last pick of the 3, Saltwater Lodge #1. River Valley Cabins are out of town, very woodsy and can have lots of skeeters, but they are cute, well kept cabins. Ididaride is right next door so you have a good chance of hearing howling dogs, but also a good chance of maybe a moose passing by.

Hearing howling dogs--that made my decision! Thanks!

We were in Seward last year, a family of 4 with two teen daughters and we stayed at the Seward Windsong Lodge. It was 5 minutes out of town, easy to get to and very peaceful. The deluxe room had plenty of room for 4, with a microwave and a small fridge. If money is a concern then by all means take taxis, but to me, when on vacation, I would much rather have my own car. It just seems so much easier with kids. Enjoy! We enjoyed Alaska so much that we are going back in 3 weeks!

Archived