Dolphin push, pull and swim

Hothams

Does anyone know if we'd be able to join this excursion if only one person was actually going to do the dolphin swim? Is there an option anywhere where we'd just be able to sit on the beach an observe?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We booked directly through Dolphin Discovery, as I found a 50% off sale that made it way cheaper than the cruise line excursion. They do have "observation" tickets that let you into the park, but not in the water. From what I've researched, though, the observation area isn't very close to the water so you wouldn't be able to see much. IMO, they do that so you don't try to take any photos of your family/friends so that you're forced to pay $35 a pop for the ones they take. We'll be there in 2 weeks so I'll try to figure out where the observation area is in relation to the water and let you know.

We booked directly through Dolphin Discovery, as I found a 50% off sale that made it way cheaper than the cruise line excursion. They do have "observation" tickets that let you into the park, but not in the water. From what I've researched, though, the observation area isn't very close to the water so you wouldn't be able to see much. IMO, they do that so you don't try to take any photos of your family/friends so that you're forced to pay $35 a pop for the ones they take. We'll be there in 2 weeks so I'll try to figure out where the observation area is in relation to the water and let you know.

That's awesome! I appreciate it. My daughter always wanted to swim w a dolphin and since it's a Christmas cruise we thought it could be from Santa, but the rest of us have no desire to, and I dont want to send her off on an excursion solo, you know?

Worse case scenario her father or I will go with and the others will do another excursion- it's just nice to stick together, you know?

We booked the dolphin experience without the swim this past January when our original ship sponsored excursion was cancelled. RCL would not let us book the swim since my daughter was 9 at the time. They told us that she was too young. She is a competitive swimmer and can out swim most adults, but they said no.

When we got to the venue, we asked if we could upgrade to the swim, push, and pull. They had one of those height check sticks like they have at theme parks. She was plenty tall enough. I paid $100 for 2 adults and one child to upgrade. It would have been a fair amount more to pay for the upgrade through RCL.

They grouped the "experience" people and the "push, pull, and swim" all together. The "experience" people don't need to even leave the platform. The interaction that you have is based on what you paid for. There is a platform that is about 2 feet deep in the water. Some of the younger kids were too scared to touch the animals, but they still got quite an experience. I did the full swim and got to "hold" the dolphin, get pushed by my feet while holding a boogie board, and pulled by holding the dolphins fins while it swam upside down very fast!

We had one non-swimmer in our group who did not want to get in the water. He was about 25 yards away and could barely see anything due to the enclosure for the dolphins. His price was very low. I can't remember how much, exactly.

There is a photographer that gets tons of photos of everyone interacting with the dolphins. There is a very high pressure sales pitch to buy photos at the end. Tip: hold out and the price will drop dramatically!

My advice is to pay for the "experience" but not the swim. When you get there, upgrade your daughter and anyone else who wants to do it. If you really want to see her, you will need to pay for the experience and not the observer price. You will not be permitted to bring in your camera either. If your daughter is a child, you may need to accompany her. They may not allow her to participate without an adult guardian present.

It was an overall great experience. It is very well run and the trainers are great. I never felt unsafe. My daughter and her BFF were absolutely thrilled. It is far less expensive than many of the dolphin experiences at other venues (especially Discovery Cove in Orlando). I would recommend it. Just be ready for the sales pitch for the photos at the end.

We booked the dolphin experience without the swim this past January when our original ship sponsored excursion was cancelled. RCL would not let us book the swim since my daughter was 9 at the time. They told us that she was too young. She is a competitive swimmer and can out swim most adults, but they said no.

When we got to the venue, we asked if we could upgrade to the swim, push, and pull. They had one of those height check sticks like they have at theme parks. She was plenty tall enough. I paid $100 for 2 adults and one child to upgrade. It would have been a fair amount more to pay for the upgrade through RCL.

They grouped the "experience" people and the "push, pull, and swim" all together. The "experience" people don't need to even leave the platform. The interaction that you have is based on what you paid for. There is a platform that is about 2 feet deep in the water. Some of the younger kids were too scared to touch the animals, but they still got quite an experience. I did the full swim and got to "hold" the dolphin, get pushed by my feet while holding a boogie board, and pulled by holding the dolphins fins while it swam upside down very fast!

We had one non-swimmer in our group who did not want to get in the water. He was about 25 yards away and could barely see anything due to the enclosure for the dolphins. His price was very low. I can't remember how much, exactly.

There is a photographer that gets tons of photos of everyone interacting with the dolphins. There is a very high pressure sales pitch to buy photos at the end. Tip: hold out and the price will drop dramatically!

My advice is to pay for the "experience" but not the swim. When you get there, upgrade your daughter and anyone else who wants to do it. If you really want to see her, you will need to pay for the experience and not the observer price. You will not be permitted to bring in your camera either. If your daughter is a child, you may need to accompany her. They may not allow her to participate without an adult guardian present.

It was an overall great experience. It is very well run and the trainers are great. I never felt unsafe. My daughter and her BFF were absolutely thrilled. It is far less expensive than many of the dolphin experiences at other venues (especially Discovery Cove in Orlando). I would recommend it. Just be ready for the sales pitch for the photos at the end.

Thank you, this is just what I wanted to know. My daughters 18 so she can go solo, I just didn't want her to be off on an excursion alone, if we're with her but not doing it I'll feel much better. She'll actually be 19 at the time so age shouldn't be a factor....

We were on an excursion last year where people paid to go but not do it... I didn't think to look at the 'excursion ' or 'viewing' options.

Thanks so much!!!

Do you recall how low they went? We're on a tight budget and this was our splurge, but I can't bring myself to pay $35 for a single photo. I really want a memento for my daughter.

They wanted us to buy all of the picture for the 3 in my family for $175. They changed tactics when they wanted to sell just my daughter's photos for $100, then $90 then $75. That is as low as they went for a DVD of all of her photos. I said no and only bought one printed photo of my daughter for $35. Play hardball and bargain. They may come down in price.

We're going in June & booked via a separate company (not directly, but with a shore excursion company that allows for refunds if the ship does not make it to the port). It was about $20 less per person than through RCCL. Even though we have to get a taxi, it will still be less expensive.

The deciding factor for us was the age requirement if booking through RCCL. DD will be 6 1/2 (49 inches tall & strong swimmer), but the minimum age for RCCL is 8. Through the other company it is 6 as long as there is a participating adult in the water with them (there will be 2 adults & DD).

There are others in our group doing it too. They are booking the same way. Those in their party that aren't participating will come along since we'll have to get there via taxis (not ship transfer).

We're going in June & booked via a separate company (not directly, but with a shore excursion company that allows for refunds if the ship does not make it to the port). It was about $20 less per person than through RCCL. Even though we have to get a taxi, it will still be less expensive.

The deciding factor for us was the age requirement if booking through RCCL. DD will be 6 1/2 (49 inches tall & strong swimmer), but the minimum age for RCCL is 8. Through the other company it is 6 as long as there is a participating adult in the water with them (there will be 2 adults & DD).

There are others in our group doing it too. They are booking the same way. Those in their party that aren't participating will come along since we'll have to get there via taxis (not ship transfer).

Thanks!

It is a very short ride by taxi. We took a taxi when we finished the dolphin swim because we wanted to go directly to Carambola beach club. The taxi dropped off a couple to the pier entrance first. It was only 5-10 minutes drive.