First cruise on Majesty

Sailing on the Majesty 20th September 2013, and can`t wait. great to see so many good reviews,as when we booked, it was all doom and gloom, and we thought we had made a big mistake! Went on the Dream to the carribean last Feb, and got to be honest, was not that impressed.

Really looking forward to Venice, and from what people are saying, the sail-way.

One question, what is the coffee like, on the Dream it was like liquid tar!! but I need a cuppa first thing in the morning to get me going!! Only six weeks to go, is it too early to start packing!

Any more tips or imformation about the ship and ports of call, please let me know. thanks in advance

I have never been on the Dream so can't compare.

We took our own travel kettle on the Majesty and our own teabags- (I know - its a typical Brit thing to do) - but I agree, its VITAL to have a cuppa first thing in the morning!:)

Who wants to traipse up to Deck 10 to get a cup of tea or coffee first thing - It would be stone cold by the time you got back.

When we did have their beverages, we found their coffee and hot water urns to be lukewarm at best.

I thought their coffee tasted nice.

Can you use a kettle in the cabin, I always thought you were not allowed?

As far as i am aware, unless the kettle has been supplied by Thomson, and therefore checked, you should not use your own kettle, but then some people don't care about others personal safety, as long as they are ok.

http://www.thomson.co.uk/cruise/life-onboard/got-a-question.html#safety

Cabin Safety

Kettles and irons are not permitted in cabins for health and safety reasons.

As far as i am aware, unless the kettle has been supplied by Thomson, and therefore checked, you should not use your own kettle, but then some people don't care about others personal safety, as long as they are ok.

http://www.thomson.co.uk/cruise/life-onboard/got-a-question.html#safety

Cabin Safety

Kettles and irons are not permitted in cabins for health and safety reasons.

I think that is always going to be a problem. If people read on here that someone always takes their travel kettle or iron, there will be those that say "well if it is ok for them to take them, so can I."

I think that is always going to be a problem. If people read on here that someone always takes their travel kettle or iron, there will be those that say "well if it is ok for them to take them, so can I."

Indeed, people think they'll be careful, keep an eye on it, be ready if anything happens, etc., but what they don't realise is it's because these devices, by their very nature, are higher power devices, and can cause problems further up the line (the power cable), especially in older ships with older wiring, and a few people in the same area all using irons/kettles at the same time could overload the circuits.

Of course, because of this, people will think that as no one else is using one, and they are the only ones to sneak one in, nothing can happen, but of course, they are not the only one.

Judging by some of these ships' previous 'track records' when it comes to safety - I think a travel kettle is the least of a person's worries!

Seriously though - You do have a point - if everybody is using them at the same time, it could cause problems. (teach me to 'read the small print' in future! :)

Can someone who has been recently tell me if Thomson are giving this out at the boat drill, as the last 3 times they were just saying no irons. I did mention it on the Q&A and Fraser said they would udate the safety message.

Personally, I would think smoking on a wooden deck posed more of a fire risk :rolleyes::D

We had no issues with coffee on Majesty - I like it weak and added a bit of hot water, my lady drank it as it was.

We did note that some people took travel mugs and would fill these and return to their cabin.

My husband & I are also going on The Majesty on the 20th September. To be honest I'm dreading it as some of the reviews have been awful. We were on The Spirit in April........ Shocking!!!! We have cruised with Thomsons now for a number of years & quite frankly, each one is worse than the last. Time to change I think!!!

Don't worry Mrs Byrom, although we did not like the Majesty it was far from awful, my wife said I was just looking for problems.

We really had a great cruise with fabulous itinerary, sure you will enjoy it, I always think at least we have not paid Silver Seas prices so you get what you paid for.

Enjoy.

I HATED THE MAJESTY , the whole on board experience was so bad it would have put me off had it been my first cruise ,and Thomson Customer service was not any help either . luckily I had cruised with another company before .

So this being your first cruise If you love it on Majesty then fantastic but if you don't like it please don't let it put you off sailing just try another cruise line .

I do believe things onboard Majesty may have improved since I sailed so I hope they have

I HATED THE MAJESTY , the whole on board experience was so bad it would have put me off had it been my first cruise ,and Thomson Customer service was not any help either . luckily I had cruised with another company before .

So this being your first cruise If you love it on Majesty then fantastic but if you don't like it please don't let it put you off sailing just try another cruise line .

I do believe things onboard Majesty may have improved since I sailed so I hope they have

Things must have improved. We had a fantastic cruise 2 weeks ago and would go back tomorrow. We enjoyed it as much as the Celebration and RCL two years ago

If you are going soon the early problems have been sorted do enjoy

We are off on Majesty on the 6th September ... must say there are some really good reviews and some really bad ones ...but all in all we are looking forward to it! We have done P&O cruises for years but got fed up sailing from Southampton so looked for some destinations new to us ... really looking forward to seeing Venice, Slovenia and Croatia .... Looking forward to the more casual approach too as hubby is not a fan of dressing up for dinner every other night ... 3 weeks today!!! Excited icon10.gif

Mrs Red Scorpion and I together with her sister and neice from America will be on that cruise too. I like dressing up for the captain's dinner and I wear a tie most nights at dinner too but I am usually the only one that does. People who have been on P&O say their ships are fancier but Thomson ships are friendlier with better entertainment. On September 6th you will be able to find out for yourself of course. I hope to see you onboard. There are a number of people from this forum who will be on that cruise. You can find out more if you go onto roll call.

We are off on Majesty on the 6th September ... must say there are some really good reviews and some really bad ones ...but all in all we are looking forward to it! We have done P&O cruises for years but got fed up sailing from Southampton so looked for some destinations new to us ... really looking forward to seeing Venice, Slovenia and Croatia .... Looking forward to the more casual approach too as hubby is not a fan of dressing up for dinner every other night ... 3 weeks today!!! Excited icon10.gif

DH and I are on same cruise and as Red Scorpion writes there are a few of us on here going as well. The roll call is headed Adriatic Explorer with no date and is written by Blackstuff. It will be the 4th time for us on Majesty. It has its plus and negative points, like all ships, but the itinerary will make up for it. The food and entertainment are excellent. Hope to meet you on board. :)

For Djmalc and Mrs Byrom. My husband and I will be sailing on the 20th September as well which is actually for our honeymoon. We are then staying a week in Corfu. 4 weeks tomorrow and really looking forward to it. I have been on the Celebration before however it is hubbys first time so hoping he will enjoy it. Really looking forward to the itinerary and hoping the weather is better than it is in a foggy Aberdeen.

Congratulations Lucie14, don`t suppose we shall be seeing much of you then!!!! Where are you staying in Corfu, we will be in the Three brothers in Sidari, first time to Corfu, so getting really excited! Not going to take much notice of bad reviews, will find out for ourselves and whatever, we will have a good time. guaranteed. Also went on the Celebration a couple of years ago around Egypt and Israel and had a fantastic time, love the crew on Thomson ships, they are so friendly, if like me you like an early morning cuppa, the welcome from the cleaners etc is infectious. Do they have a crew show on the Majesty? the one on the Celebration was one of the best entertainment all week, at one point there was not a dry eye in the room when one young man sang for is new born baby who he hadn`t seen yet. 4 weeks tomorrow and we will be on our way. keeping an eye on the weather now.

Thank you for the congratulatory message. We got married in March at Gretna Green (it was snowing, fantastic) so we wanted to save up our money and do a cruise for our honeymoon so didn't mind the 6 month wait. Won't be much like newlyweds then but I guess it may reignite, lol. For a little while there I thought that my hubby and I may be the only couple on the ship as I posted in roll calls and nobody responded. It is adults only for that week as well so no children to contend with. We will be staying in Corfu after the Cruise at the Louis Corcyra Beach. It is our first time to Greece as well. :)

I have just double checked and it definitely says in the brochure that the Thomson Majesty cruises in both June and September are adults only (over 16). Maybe some helpful s:)oul that has been in June 2013 can advise.

Archived