newlywed game and advice

jackson2014

Hey All!

Has anyone been married on the Victory? My wedding is taking place on this ship on 9/22 in Ocho Rios! I'm super excited. We have about 15 guest sailing with us. The only thing I've done thus far for us as a group is get shirts made that say "Mother of the Bride" etc. Any advice? I don't know what to expect..however this forum has been really helpful..so thank you all for posting. I am really nervous about everything. I just want it to turn out to be gorgeous as all the ones I've seen so far. How about part favors? Do or dont? An isle runner? I am a lil late being that we are about 8 days away from boarding and 10 days away from th e actual wedding but I'm sure I can express ship items if necessary.

How about th e newlywed game? Has anyone played upon their ship? How do you sign up? Did they allow u to play even if u weren't married just yet?

Anything at this point will be helpful.

I made lanyards using swivel hooks and mardi gras beads for everyone's sign and sail cards. That is my favor. A lot of others have made canvas totes with goodies ranging from tums to advil to personalized cups and beach towels. I just don't want to haul those to the ship along with all of my wedding stuff.

I did bags with everything from lint rollers, to first aid kit, to sewing kit, to a bottle of water (to drink while waiting for to board), to Chips Ahoy (because I have an odd sense of humor)...however I did not want to haul them to the ship either so we gave them out the night before at a dinner we hosted near the hotel where we stayed. We had just 2 local guests who didn't make the dinner, so my matron of honors were assigned the task of getting the bags to the ship and giving them out when the guests arrived.

Hey All!

Has anyone been married on the Victory? My wedding is taking place on this ship on 9/22 in Ocho Rios! I'm super excited. We have about 15 guest sailing with us. The only thing I've done thus far for us as a group is get shirts made that say "Mother of the Bride" etc. Any advice? I don't know what to expect..however this forum has been really helpful..so thank you all for posting. I am really nervous about everything. I just want it to turn out to be gorgeous as all the ones I've seen so far. How about part favors? Do or dont? An isle runner? I am a lil late being that we are about 8 days away from boarding and 10 days away from th e actual wedding but I'm sure I can express ship items if necessary.

How about th e newlywed game? Has anyone played upon their ship? How do you sign up? Did they allow u to play even if u weren't married just yet?

Anything at this point will be helpful.

Yeah, like ImaginationCruiseBride, I also did tote bags with all sorts of goodies. We had a Welcome Party the night before the wedding, so handed them out there to avoid carrying them on ship. We had 2 that didn't go to the party, so we gave them during boarding. I got a little crazy with my bags because I slowly bought stuff for them over a year.

The bags included a small "Oh S$@% Kits" with bandaid, safety pin, Aleve, tums, small roll of duct tape; a "Hangover Kit" with aspirin and electrolyte hangover drink mix (we had a couple people use these the night before the wedding after drinking and the electrolyte mix was useful when one of the guests got sick); Post-it notes & pen (useful to leave notes on peoples doors); a magnetic clip (was super useful to hang Fun Times or other info on the wall), a outlet adapter (turns 1 plug into 3) that had a built in night light (last minute purchase because they were cheap - Target $1 area... a few people that had interior rooms loved the night light and most people liked the extra outlets to charge multiple phones/tablets), Snacks (like ICB, I went with many nautical theme snacks: Chips Ahoy, Lifesavers Candy, Goldfish Crackers), ginger candy (helps with nausea & sea sickness), lanyards for S&S card (EVERYONE used and loved these... people even offered to buy them from us), and Bubba travel mug (some people used them, some didn't). I tried to get decent priced items that people would actually use. I did pretty good because I think every item was used by someone during the trip.

Doing all of that, or any favors at all, is purely optional. And being so close to your wedding, I wouldn't stress over it or get too crazy. If you do anything, think the lanyards are probably your best option for something easy & simple (and inexpensive), because everyone finds them really useful on the cruise. But, I'm not a big fan of wasting money on favors that people will leave behind or just throw away. Most weddings I've been to gave favors that I either left there or threw away.

Otherwise, there is definitely something to be said for limiting the amount of stuff you have to carry and travel with. I travelled to the port city by myself, but luckily my MIL was willing to bring some of my stuff with her, and I shipped all the welcome bags to my hotel in advance (2 large boxes, totaling about 75 lbs. and costs $60 to 5-day ground ship). But, I still had to drag around two suitcases, tote bag, and dress & suit... it was a pain. You won't really notice most of the little things, like aisle runners or small décor, when you are there in the moment anyway, so I would skip those things if it's not really important to you. We didn't bring any extra decorations, besides ribbon & flowers for the cake, and it was all perfectly fine.

I'm not sure about the newlywed game. Our family was trying to tell us to do it, and we planned to at least go and watch, but we forgot about it and missed it. One of the other couples that got married on our ship participated though.

They have been pretty strict about the wedding date thing because there are so many couples who want to play. I will say, since you'll probably have family on the cruise, do you want them knowing the ins and outs of your...intimate life? On Carnival, at least, it will replay on the TV a few times a day. We planned to go to watch, but completely forgot about it. On the replay, it came down to a 15 minute time difference between the newly-wed couples.