QM2 to Eurostar to Paris?

Pincus

I've done a search on these boards, and seem to have found an answer from the always helpful Globaliser:

"The best way to get from Southampton to Paris by train is to take the train to Waterloo, and change there for the Eurostar.

"But I think that the best way of getting from Southampton to Paris is probably to fly straight there. The flights are marketed by Air France, although I think that they are operated by a franchisee (Brit Air)."

We'd rather not fly, so would someone please update this 2005 quote?

Many thanks.

Pincus

With Eurostar's move from Waterloo to St Pancras, I think that the easiest thing is to interpose an additional step between those stations: take the train to Waterloo, then take a cab to St Pancras, then get the Eurostar from there.

St.Pancras is beautiful now and it is so easy to board the ES.Hopefully when you go more area will be open because if you arrive for your train before you can board,right now there is no place to sit.Do buy your tickets ahead of time as same day tickets cost an arm and a leg.JUst to change my ticket for an ealier train would have been about $300.00,but I did by choice buy a cheaper ticket.Also, do go first class even though you pay more..worth every penny...one mistake I will never make again as trains are more crowded now than ever IMHO.

Thank you.

My goal here is a smooth transition, and that might call for eliminating some of the steps.

I'll look at flying a bit more.

Pincus

I have to say...taking the train is going to be the most relaxing way to go..no matter what. The airports are nutz,and the time wasted getting to and from and there with all the security is just as bad IMHO.The trains are not as rushed,and passport control is a breeze,but it is not my call..just my observation about 2 weeks ago..much smoother than any airport.

I have to say...taking the train is going to be the most relaxing way to go..no matter what. The airports are nutz,and the time wasted getting to and from and there with all the security is just as bad IMHO.The trains are not as rushed,and passport control is a breeze,but it is not my call..just my observation about 2 weeks ago..much smoother than any airport.

Relaxing...that is.

Any travel event these days that can be described with that word is a marvel.

Thanks...I'll continue to explore the train. I do appreciate your sharing your recent experience.

Would the same advice from you apply to Dover?

Pincus

Relaxing...that is.

Pincus

Sorry, I can't help you there.It has been a long time since I was in Dover,but I can't see why the train would be any less relaxing!!! Flying today is a real PIA..not like it used to be ) I am getting old:rolleyes: ).

I'll look at flying a bit more.
To update the information on earlier threads, it looks like Air France (probably still via the franchisee) and Flybe each do two flights a day now - although schedules may vary by day of the week.
From Dover, it might be easier than Southampton. There are a few trains a day that call at Ashford en route to Paris (three a day, IIRC). Ashford is relatively close to Dover and can be reached by taxi (reports suggest a fare of about £30).

Other Eurostar trains call at Ebbsfleet en route to Paris. That station is much closer to London (and much further away from Dover), but it would still be quicker than going all the way into the city.

To update the information on earlier threads, it looks like Air France (probably still via the franchisee) and Flybe each do two flights a day now - although schedules may vary by day of the week.From Dover, it might be easier than Southampton. There are a few trains a day that call at Ashford en route to Paris (three a day, IIRC). Ashford is relatively close to Dover and can be reached by taxi (reports suggest a fare of about £30).

Other Eurostar trains call at Ebbsfleet en route to Paris. That station is much closer to London (and much further away from Dover), but it would still be quicker than going all the way into the city.

One of the trains I took to London stopped at Ashford.Should be easy to pick up train there.I have the ES schedule...through next July it stops in Ashford at 05:50;09:29;10:57,and 16:54..Monday through Friday,and Saturday and Sunday the same.

Sorry, I had to go and look at the timetable to see if my memory was faulty.

To be precise, there are departures from Ashford to Paris at 0725, 1058 and 1655.

There are departures from Paris to Ashford at 0907, 1513 and 1843.

The fourth call each day at Ashford is by a Marne-la-Vallee (EuroDrizzly) train.

Archived