Kids in Monte Carlo during Grand Prix!

PermanentHoliday

Hi

Im a first timer starting a thread so hopefully I get responses :)

Im taking the kids to Monte carlo in May 2015 (8 and 2 yr old), not sure if we will cruise it there or just train it from Paris yet. However Im a little concerned about kids in Monte Carlo during the Grand Prix.

If you have been there during the Grand Prix please comment on the following:

1) Is it really busy during that time, so much that kids won't be able to cope with the crowds?, any long queues??

2) Are there loads of road closures so that touring around the city and walking around is a big hassle? We will have a stroller with us.

3) I was going to book a hotel away from the race track, would that help? or am I just being way to paranoid.

Any other advice please let me know, must admit Im a creature of comfort.

Thanks!!!

I can't address how busy it will be in Monte Carlo during Grand Prix (I am guessing it will be total and utter madness, but I digress... if you're race fans, I'm sure it will be very exciting!)

However, I have been to Monte Carlo during the "off" season, and it's extremely hilly - if there is any way you can avoid using the stroller, I would do so. Take a stroller for the cruise itself, but if you are travelling in port or on land I'd look at getting something like an Ergo Carrier for your 2 year old. Mine was a lifesaver and I used it until my daughter was 4 - it keeps them close, it's extremely comfortable and safe on your back and hips, and it will be much easier to navigate through crowds and hills without the stroller (the website's photos mostly show it as a front carrier, but I had my kids on my back at that age :) )

A few thoughts:

1. Are your kids BIG fans of the Grand Prix (well probably not the 2-year old one)?

2. Are your kids used to SUPER-LOUD sound which is at screaming-pitch volume level continuously.

I have been to F1 test-racing in South Africa and the track in SA was not as closed (boxed-in by buildings) as the circuit in Monte Carlo. Sound is going to bounce off of buildings even more in MC. The sound was so loud that even away from the track it created a major thumping headache for me. This is not teenager-party-loud, This is WAAAAY past that in terms of volume and intensity. OK, I did not not have ear-plugs, but I wonder if your kids will find it highly uncomfortable to be in that environment, with or without ear-plugs.

If you are not sure then I would test the kids sensitivities to such volume by taking them soon to something similar near home to see if this is something that they could handle.