Not a novice but cannot find this anywhere.

terrymtex01

I am not new to CC by any means and I am not new to cruising. I do hate starting a new thread when the information is already out there. But I have searched (using CC's search function) CC and I have searched HAS's website and I cannot find this simple bit of information. We are considering using HAL for a 2016 Alaskan land and sea tour and I wanted to find out what kind of deposit does HAL usually expect when booking a cruise. Is it a specific dollar amount, or a % of your total package, etc.

I appreciate any information you can supply me with.

If it were me, I would make a partial dummy reservation on line for the Land/Sea tour I wanted & it should tell you what deposit would be required.. Just be sure to cancel it prior to them asking for your credit card...Or call HAL & ask them.. Years ago it was based on the number of days.. When we booked our Alaska land sea cruise it was a month before departure & we made full payment on when we booked with a Tour Operator.. I believe it now goes by the itinerary & time of year, plus booking stats..

We normally book through an Agent & rely on him to tell us what the deposit would be.. If booking directly through HAL it could be different..

When we booked our long cruise around South America last year, we put down a 15% deposit on the cruise 10 months before departure & paid for our insurance in full, again through our Agent who gave us good discount..

Then we also paid our final payment a few months early in order to get additional perks such as an extra discount & free luggage pickup & delivery & extra OBC from HAL..

Edited by serendipity1499

There are different criteria - we just 2 weeks ago paid a deposit on a January 2015 17 day Hawaii cruise on HAL, they required a $1700 deposit on it - total price is $3759 for 2 of us in an ocean view cabin.

3 weeks ago we booked a cruise on HAL for Alaska, 14 days in August 2015, and only had to pay $600 total down payment, the total price will be $9933 for the 2 of us in a veranda cabin. This cruise includes the "Explore 4" offer which has a 50% reduced deposit.

Short answer, it depends on how far ahead, whether there is a special offer, the cost of the cruise (sometimes), and maybe who is booking it. We used a HAL cruise consultant for both.

I agree with going ahead & booking the cruise until you get to the payment page with the credit card required. This will give you the deposit, final payment and the date required for it.

Then you will get a computer-generated email asking if they can help you finalize your booking. Just ignore that.