Autism of the seas

Romamom444

We are cruising on the Allure on April 8th with Autism of the Seas. Our DD, age 12, will have the opportunity to participate in activities during the cruise, with the assistance of the group counselors, that she otherwise would not have been able to. I encourage everyone who has a family member with a disability to check out this program.

Has anyone out there traveled with them before? We can't wait!

• 1 year later...

We were on the Navagator in March. There was a group onboard, It looked like they were having a ball. I especially enjoyed seeing thos kids dancing out by the pool deck. Sure wish I could dance as well as some of them.

We cruised last Thanksgiving with Autism on the Seas. We had an amazing time! Our ds is 6 and pretty severe. We especially loved the private muster drill, reserved seating for all the shows and our semi-private dining in the MDR. Also the priority embark and debarkation was fabulous. But being able to drop him off with the AotS staff in the kids room was really wonderful. Normally, dh and I tag team to do everything on board with our daughter. Blue skies and smooth sailing to you!

• 4 weeks later...

I would love to hear more about this!! We booked through AOS but I didn't book teh staff package. I'm al ittle nervous about what it will mean. CAn you tell me how it went? I have 3 kids, 2 with ASD -twins, age 4 at the time of cruise. Thanks!

I would love to hear more about this!! We booked through AOS but I didn't book teh staff package. I'm al ittle nervous about what it will mean. CAn you tell me how it went? I have 3 kids, 2 with ASD -twins, age 4 at the time of cruise. Thanks!

If you didn't book with staff then you'll receive a PECS and social story email with some helpful cruise stuff. Also, AotS will contact the ship's special needs dept and notify them of your kiddos. This may include a private muster drill (if one adult in your party has sailed before), priority embarkation (depends on which cruise line how that will work) and they will work with you to accomodate any dietary restrictions they have. Which ship are you sailing on? I'm not sure of your kids' challenges but you're welcome to ask me or the staff at AotS if you have specific questions!

• 3 weeks later...

My husband is very worried about leaving the kids with strangers. He doesn't want to utilize the kids camp. I see his point, but I was really hoping to get a brisk at some point. So disappointed.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 8 months later...
My husband is very worried about leaving the kids with strangers. He doesn't want to utilize the kids camp. I see his point, but I was really hoping to get a brisk at some point. So disappointed.

Treysar,

If you're still around, would you let us know how it went?

We have a cruise (independent - without staff) booked through AOTS in November. Our son is mid-to-high functioning, so we don't feel we need to book one with AOTS staff.

Our first cruise was on the Carnival Liberty last fall and he and the children's staff did GREAT with him. (We had limited involvement from AotS, since we were booked through a specific group. But it all worked out fine.) This November we will be on the Norwegian Jewel and officially booked through AOTS. Next year we hope to take whatever RCI ship sails from Galveston (probably the Liberty OTS).

There is a lower cost competitor out there so if anyone is struggling with paying a significant premium to book with AotS, check out Autism Adventure Travel.

Interesting... I had no idea they existed. (They're apparently relatively new to the scene.)

• 3 weeks later...
Treysar,

If you're still around, would you let us know how it went?

We have a cruise (independent - without staff) booked through AOTS in November. Our son is mid-to-high functioning, so we don't feel we need to book one with AOTS staff.

Our first cruise was on the Carnival Liberty last fall and he and the children's staff did GREAT with him. (We had limited involvement from AotS, since we were booked through a specific group. But it all worked out fine.) This November we will be on the Norwegian Jewel and officially booked through AOTS. Next year we hope to take whatever RCI ship sails from Galveston (probably the Liberty OTS).

Hers a link to my blog review. It was a great experience!

http://schmypical.blogspot.com/2014/04/our-cruise-with-autism-on-seas.html