Alaska cruise on Celebrity

kitegirl

So, I booked my first X Cruise over a year ago, final payment is due end of Feb... this is a round trip out of Vancouver.

Problem... I have a medical issue that means I may have to cancel my dream cruise, (celebrating our anniversary and my 50th birthday ) as I will not be able to manage financially while off work for the up to 6 months I would need to recover. So, it is either cruise and be in doodoo making ends meet, or cancel and be able to pay the bills while off work. (better to say the money I would not spend on the trip would HELP with the bills...)

I am so stressed over this, and sad too, as I have been given so much great info from you kind members of this site, and have spent endless hours reading up on the ship, ports and how to manage as a disabled and BBW...

So, If I have to cancel (will find out from doctor in two weeks) is there anyway I can notify someone on this forum that a HC balcony will be opening up.... I would not be happy to have a person who does not need a HC room get it....

So surprised...not one reply...:confused:.

Oh well, update, had my bone scan yesterday so will get the results on wednesday and find out if my dream cruise is going to happen or not...keeping positive thoughts.:)... well at least trying to.....;)

• 3 weeks later...

Update.... final payment is due next week... I still have a few medical tests to make it through, but we have decided to go on the cruise and I will enjoy every moment it. I may not be able to get off in ports but will do my best to give it a try. Cannot wait!

Good luck to you Kitegirl. You will not be disappointed in your Celebrity cruise. We are on Millenium next summer. Let me know if you have any port questions. You could rent a car if you aren't able to get around in the ports. Just post and maybe we can help if you have any problems.

Judy

Thank you Daju22. Final payment is going in on Monday.... What cruise will you be on? I will be on the May 13 on Millennium....

Our travel agent has arranged for double mattress and egg crate to be on the bed, and we will have assistance in boarding with a large size wheelchair for me and hubby will use my walker. We are so excited to now know we can go for sure. I still have an MRI to get through on Wednesday and pray for good results....

Our ports will be Icy Point, and I really hope to get on the tender OK...as fresh crab is calling me at the crab shack... Also Juneau and I will be just doing some shopping and then sitting at the Red Dog for a long while...LOL Ketchikan is the other port and I am most likely going to stay on the ship....

Cannot wait ..... whoohoo:)

Are you using a rolling walker? Just a warning from me. The older celebrity ships are not completely barrier free, meaning the connections when the parts are welded together there are large metal thresh hold connections, something like in a residential home when flooring changes from room to room.

It was a really surprising difference from the newer ships I've been on to the Mercury last week. If you have the arm/pushing strength, you probably won't have any problems. It was a not so happy surprise for me this last trip.

Yes, I use a large rolling walker with a seat .... to go onto the ship and also at the end of the cruise we will be having assistance with a w/c for me to sit in... I cannot stand for long at all, and hubby as well. So he will use my walker just for that....

Looking forward to any other suggestions about Millie as far as accessibility.... Just hoping I can manage the steps for the T Pool as I heard it is amazing ...

Thank you Daju22. Final payment is going in on Monday.... What cruise will you be on? I will be on the May 13 on Millennium....

Our travel agent has arranged for double mattress and egg crate to be on the bed, and we will have assistance in boarding with a large size wheelchair for me and hubby will use my walker. We are so excited to now know we can go for sure. I still have an MRI to get through on Wednesday and pray for good results....

Our ports will be Icy Point, and I really hope to get on the tender OK...as fresh crab is calling me at the crab shack... Also Juneau and I will be just doing some shopping and then sitting at the Red Dog for a long while...LOL Ketchikan is the other port and I am most likely going to stay on the ship....

Cannot wait ..... whoohoo:)

Hi again Kitegirl,

We will be on the Aug. 5th Millie cruise Seward to Vancouver. My husband uses a Pride Go-go scooter. We have traveled around the world with it. Perhaps you can rent a scooter for the week to try it out or find a used one to buy. The scooter lets my husband be independent and I don't have to push him. It's very difficult for me to push. You can also travel much farther in ports. I would think that you and your husband will fight over the scooter! :D

Millenium will be very easy for you to navigate. We have cruised on Summit, Infinity, and Constellation. I can't remember any raised thresholds that he couldn't get over.

Icy strait should be ok for you to tender as long as you can walk onto the tender and the weather is good,.

If you have trouble walking far, you can see the maitre d' as soon as you board and ask for a table that is close to the entrance to the diningroom. We find it is quieter in the entrance and not so far to walk, but you might want to be in the middle of all the action.

The thalassotherapy pool is easy to navigate with great railings and wide steps. I don't go in if the weather is rough though.

Hope this helps a little. Any other questions...just ask.

I can't wait either!!!

Judy

Are you using a rolling walker? Just a warning from me. The older celebrity ships are not completely barrier free, meaning the connections when the parts are welded together there are large metal thresh hold connections, something like in a residential home when flooring changes from room to room.

It was a really surprising difference from the newer ships I've been on to the Mercury last week. If you have the arm/pushing strength, you probably won't have any problems. It was a not so happy surprise for me this last trip.

I think the Mercury is the oldest Celebrity ship and has many barriers from the things I've read. That's why we've never sailed her. The M class ships are much more friendly to disabled travelers. Their handicapped cabins are wonderful. We haven't sailed on the larger Solstice class ships yet.

Judy

I've sailed on Millennium numerous times. She's an older ship, relatively speaking, but it's not bad accessible-wise. There will be a lip or two to get out on the open decks from some doorways, but if you take things slow, you'll be fine. One thing to look out for, some of their hallway floors can be "spongy" and have dips in them. Look for those "dips" especially on inclines and in hallways where the cabins are located.

I highly recommend taking a cruise at some point on Celebrity's S Class ships. They are truly amazing as far a accessibility is concerned. Their accessible cabins are fantastic, and their public restrooms are the best I've ever seen on any ship.

I've sailed on Millennium numerous times. She's an older ship, relatively speaking, but it's not bad accessible-wise. There will be a lip or two to get out on the open decks from some doorways, but if you take things slow, you'll be fine. One thing to look out for, some of their hallway floors can be "spongy" and have dips in them. Look for those "dips" especially on inclines and in hallways where the cabins are located.

I highly recommend taking a cruise at some point on Celebrity's S Class ships. They are truly amazing as far a accessibility is concerned. Their accessible cabins are fantastic, and their public restrooms are the best I've ever seen on any ship.

Darcie,

Is Silhouette an S class? Very intersted in a cruise on her since she leaves from Bayonne when she finally sails. I've never been on Millie and didn't notice the spongy floors or dips on the other M class.

Judy

Yes, the Silhouette is an S Class ship.

As for the dips, they're not everywhere, but where they are, they can be dangerous. On Millennium, the main ones I noticed are right outside the Rendevous Lounge, on the rise right before you get to the public bathroom, on the starboard side. Another is on the port side, on deck 6, when walking to cabins towards the aft. I've also had problems on Summit and Infinity with spongy floors, mostly on deck 6 and again on that incline that leads you out of the Rendevous.

Being a BBW I would prob not be able to use a go go scooter. I rented a large scooter on my last cruise on RCC but was so frustrated that I could never get on the elevator with it, i ended up leaving it in my room and using my walker.

For ISP I heard there is a bus that can take u into town, so I will do that and Hubby will walk the nature path and we will meet up at the crab place... yummy

For Juneau, I will just take my time and make it slowly into the two shops I have been to before and want to check out.

Then I will park myself at the Red Dog and wait for hubby to show up...LOL:D

I hope everyone who is traveling to Alaska this season has a wonderful time and that the sun will shine for one and all....:)

Being a BBW I would prob not be able to use a go go scooter. I rented a large scooter on my last cruise on RCC but was so frustrated that I could never get on the elevator with it, i ended up leaving it in my room and using my walker.

For ISP I heard there is a bus that can take u into town, so I will do that and Hubby will walk the nature path and we will meet up at the crab place... yummy

For Juneau, I will just take my time and make it slowly into the two shops I have been to before and want to check out.

Then I will park myself at the Red Dog and wait for hubby to show up...LOL:D

I hope everyone who is traveling to Alaska this season has a wonderful time and that the sun will shine for one and all....:)

Sorry you had such trouble with the scooter. Here's what we do. If we want to go up on the elevator and everyone else wants to go up, we get on the empty elevator that's going down. It eventually goes back up :) and we have no trouble. Always go opposite of the way the crowd is going. On Millenium, there are three elevator banks, forward, mid, and aft. If it's dinner and everyone is using the aft elevators, you can walk to the forward elevators and use them. Good exercise for the person walking!

Sounds like you have a super trip planned. You will have a great cruise.

Judy

The s class ships are wonderful as far as bathroom accessibility. You press a button. I had to laugh at all the handicap accessible bathrooms on the Mercury that had heavy handled doors with no staff available for assistance.

I have not been in the other T-Pools, but on the Mercury, the therapy pool had wooden steps that were narrow, but a good handrail.

However, on one side, they had a very strong wave machine which made it almost unusable for everyone I've spoken to. It's so strong they have a circle of metal supports to it doesn't blow people across the pool.

I'd ask the staff if you can use a day pass gratis to make sure you can use it.

The s class ships are wonderful as far as bathroom accessibility. You press a button. I had to laugh at all the handicap accessible bathrooms on the Mercury that had heavy handled doors with no staff available for assistance.

I have not been in the other T-Pools, but on the Mercury, the therapy pool had wooden steps that were narrow, but a good handrail.

However, on one side, they had a very strong wave machine which made it almost unusable for everyone I've spoken to. It's so strong they have a circle of metal supports to it doesn't blow people across the pool.

I'd ask the staff if you can use a day pass gratis to make sure you can use it.

Hi 2SeaWithMe. Good things to know about the Mercury Tpool bathrooms. That wouldn't be good for us. The M Class Infinity, Millenium, Summit, and Constellation T-pools are free. Very easy to use as long as you can walk into them. Also have a metal rack to lie back and enjoy the water. Jets are nice. You would like the M ships.

I see you're from PA. So are we. Bet you're excited about the Sihlouette leaving from Bayonne. No flying involved.

:)

Well it is a done deal now...final payment has been made... insurance has been purchased... swim suite tried on...:eek: ... Cannot wait for my first experience with Celebrity on Millennium.... Come one May 13...hurry up and be here....;)

I am going to give the T pool a try...hope the steps are not too high, and that no one takes offence to my shorts being worn over my swimsuite...

Archived