How safe is snorkelling at Cabo?

Kinkacruiser

I like the sound of the ship's Catamaran sail + snorkel to Cabo San Lucas. I note there's an indemnity clause to sign and that you get a vest (snorkelling in deep water I assume).

If you've been here/done this, would you consider it safe (no sharks or nasties lurking about)?

Any tips to share?

We were give snorkel flotation vests for those interested. It was not mandatory. The water is not as flat and clear as in the Caribbean (and not the same temp lol)...but it was safe. There are no dangerous species where you snorkel, just watch the waves and boat traffic ;)

Been to Cabo many times. I think that the snorkeling is better if you are going to Chileno beach, Safe and you can also get there by land easy too. Take a bus or taxi. If you are snorkeling out by the arch, the water is a bit rougher there, but still safe, although all I could see last trip there was everyone else's flippers in my face!

Been to Cabo many times. I think that the snorkeling is better if you are going to Chileno beach, Safe and you can also get there by land easy too. Take a bus or taxi. If you are snorkeling out by the arch, the water is a bit rougher there, but still safe, although all I could see last trip there was everyone else's flippers in my face!

Thanks Amazon Princess. Yes we are going to Chileno Bay (by catamaran with a ship tour) Sounds like a good choice for an excursion to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Although it's unlikely anyone will be visiting Cabo for the next few months while they recover from Hurricane Odile, for future reference I would recommend the snorkeling excursion to Chileno Bay. The crew we had was really friendly. On the way to Chileno Bay they made a quick pass by Los Arcos. It was the same view you get on the harbor tours. We even saw a bunch of whales on the way to Chileno Bay, which is usually an excursion itself. The water in Chileno Bay was clean and clear, and there were lots of colorful fish of a large variety. They provided snacks and drinks (alcoholic drinks on the return after snorkeling). I would definitely not recommend the combo kayak/snorkeling in Cabo San Lucas harbor, however. I did that on my first visit to Cabo. There is so much boat traffic in the harbor that the waters are really choppy and visibility is poor due to the sand getting stirred up on the bottom. We only saw a couple of fish through the murk.

Edited by bluechip508