Entry into Bermuda

Eiansmomma

I have a question regarding entry into Bermuda. Someone on my Roll Call said they called the Bermuda consulate and found out the following.

"I would have no problem getting onto the ship or returning back into US with the use of an EDL (enhanced drivers license) BUT, Bermuda WILL NOT accept an EDL for entry."

I believe that is only the case if the cruise is NOT a "closed-loop cruise" - correct?

I have searched cruise critic and everything I have found said that you do NOT need a passport to travel to Bermuda on a "closed-loop cruise" so I thought I would throw it out here. My husband and I are traveling with Passports but the kids are traveling with their Birth Certificates. I know it's safer and smarter to travel with Passports (we are working on them for all of us). We are leaving from Bayonne and returning to Bayonne.

I have a question regarding entry into Bermuda. Someone on my Roll Call said they called the Bermuda consulate and found out the following.

"I would have no problem getting onto the ship or returning back into US with the use of an EDL (enhanced drivers license) BUT, Bermuda WILL NOT accept an EDL for entry."

I believe that is only the case if the cruise is NOT a "closed-loop cruise" - correct?

I have searched cruise critic and everything I have found said that you do NOT need a passport to travel to Bermuda on a "closed-loop cruise" so I thought I would throw it out here. My husband and I are traveling with Passports but the kids are traveling with their Birth Certificates. I know it's safer and smarter to travel with Passports (we are working on them for all of us). We are leaving from Bayonne and returning to Bayonne.

They only time we have needed a passport for Bermuda is when we fly there for a land vacation

They only time we have needed a passport for Bermuda is when we fly there for a land vacation

that's what I thought! I just wanted to double-check because it would really stink if my kids had to stay on the ship :p

Passports are recommend in case you need to fly home.

We already know this (I mentioned in my original post that we know it's safer and smarter to travel with them). We are working our way up to getting them for all 5 of us. Just takes $$ to do so. We currently have 2 out of 5 with passports! We will all have them before our cruise in Feb 2015!

Did Bermuda out of Boston last July 27th with 14 family members for 50th Anniversary. About half of us had passports and the rest used certified Birth Certificates and Picture ID. We even had one 14 year old boy who was not related to any of us. A notarized letter from his parents, copies of their driver's licenses and he was allowed to travel with us without any problems. We all know the risk if having to fly back for an emergency but sometimes you just have to take it and hope no one gets left behind. Enjoy your cruise.

We cruised to Bermuda from New York City in 2012. A couple of people in our party had New York State enhanced drivers licenses and they were treated exactly the same as those of us with passports. EDLs are treated just like passport cards where they are accepted. You shouldn't have any problem in Bermuda. Enjoy the cruise!