Buying wool or wool roving

magandab

I don't know if anyone here can answer this. A friend has asked me to bring her some New Zealand merino wool, when I cruise in November (she's a master spinner). One, can I buy either one easily? Two, does anyone know if I can bring it into the States, and especially into California? I've been Gooogling but can't find the answer.

Still waiting for an answer from US Dept of Agriculture - I found out it's a federal thing, not state. But, I had to share that I've now had to explain to three different government employees, one state, two federal, who all work for an agricultural department, that wool comes from an animal, and it's not a plant product. Honest, I can't make this stuff up.

I don't know if anyone here can answer this. A friend has asked me to bring her some New Zealand merino wool, when I cruise in November (she's a master spinner). One, can I buy either one easily? Two, does anyone know if I can bring it into the States, and especially into California? I've been Gooogling but can't find the answer.

Kia ora,

Yes, marino wool is readily available in knitting & craft shops.

Aquarians

Still waiting for an answer from US Dept of Agriculture - I found out it's a federal thing, not state. But, I had to share that I've now had to explain to three different government employees, one state, two federal, who all work for an agricultural department, that wool comes from an animal, and it's not a plant product. Honest, I can't make this stuff up.

Hysterical but sadly scary. Seems all too common to get replies with this degree of expertise!

Laughed aloud so DH asked why and read it to him. He said it reminded him of the time they had a freeze in Italy and all the spaghetti trees froze. Then commented that silk trees are probably more sensitive to cold weather than those wool-producing ones. Regular comedian I live with.

Thanks. What I'm looking for is the raw wool, not wool yarn. Is that easily available. This friend spins her own yarn.
kia ora,

I know friends seem to get it alright but as we leave for a cruise in a few hours won't have time to check further for you. Hopefully someone else may be able to help

Aquarians

Try contacting Clifton Wool n Things, lovely sheep farm on the Otago Peninsula. They should have rovings, and it is on the peninsula between Taiaroa Head ( where the albatross colony is) and Dunedin.

I have been to a lot of wool shops in NZ and Sydney and don't remember seeing raw wool in the regular wool shops, as nice as they are. But Clifton Wools might be able to help you. It's a lovely spot - picturesque would be an understatement.

Archived