Westerdam - Outside Cat GG or H vs Inside?

ineed2getaway

I'm trying to finalize my booking, and now that I have decided when and where (Westerdam, 10/21 E. Caribbean) I have to make a cabin decision. Due to budgetary constraints ;) my choices are either an outside cabin in category GG or H, or an inside cabin. The outsides are described on the HA website as "fully obstructed" view, but on the numerous travel websites and TA I've spoken to (Expedia) they are described as "partially obstructed". I've checked the deck plans, and it looks like these cabins might have a partial view from behind the lifeboats, but is it enough to make it worth spending the extra money, or should we just get an inside cabin and save the money for a spa treatment? (As my husband always says, it's a zero sum game - notice how there is no option of saving that extra money!). We have cruised twice before and had unobstructed full oceanview cabins, so I'm not sure how I would feel about an inside. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I would say book the GG or H only if having daylight or being able to see out is an absolute necessity for you and your DH. I booked a G category for my first cruise on the Westerdam only because it was my first time and wanted that view (albeit obstructed) to reassure myself. If I recall correctly, the price difference between the G and GG was less than $50 for a weeklong cruise. Here's a pic of that cabin, G4080:

IMG_0254.jpg?imgmax=512

It was in the middle of two lifeboats and provided me with enough view and daylight to make me happy :) . The GG would of course have less light coming in but the floor to ceiling windows do help immensely.

I have booked a GG for my Alaskan cruise in May for those same budgetary reasons you mentioned. I'm sure whatever you decide, you'll have a wonderful time.

Thanks Haligonian, I actually just found your picture on another thread regarding this topic and looked through your whole album. The pictures are great! I have a question though - is the difference between a category GG and a G the windows (eg, floor to ceiling in a G vs. picture window in a GG)? They are both described as partially obstructed, as is Cat H, so I'm trying to understand the nuances.

I believe the GG have the full floor to ceiling windows just as the G cat. does. From what I can recall (even at the age of 37, my memory is sketchy at the best of times) I did see into the cabin next door while it was being cleaned and it did have the same type of window as in mine. I assume the slight price difference is due to the GG having a slightly more obstructed view than the G.

I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures! They're in a discumbobulated (not sure if that's actually a word) state as I downloaded the memory card from the second half of the week first.....but they still tell the same story, I had a great time...and can't wait for the next one! Speaking of which, will this be your first cruise with HAL?

Thanks Haligonian, I actually just found your picture on another thread regarding this topic and looked through your whole album. The pictures are great! I have a question though - is the difference between a category GG and a G the windows (eg, floor to ceiling in a G vs. picture window in a GG)? They are both described as partially obstructed, as is Cat H, so I'm trying to understand the nuances.
All the windows are the same as in the picture. The difference is how much your view is obstructed by the life boats ... or just the hardware suspending them.

Yes, first time with HAL. We have only cruised twice before, once with RCCL and once with Celebrity. However, we have quickly become addicts. We have 4 kids ranging in age from 3-13, so going anywhere for an extended period of time is a real challenge. This 7 day cruise is the first time in over 6 years we will have been away for more than a few nights! I am very excited but also nervous to be away. HAL looks fantastic, and this itinerary seems like the perfect mix of touring and relaxing.

Isn't funny how the cruise addiction thing happens so easily? I'm hooked as well, thanks to two good friends. Wow, four kids....now that sounds like the real challenge, in a good way. I know it was a challenge to get my sister to book a cruise, only because she didn't want to be away from her granddaughter for that long, so I can imagine what it's like for you and your DH. And six years is a long time to not have an "adult" vacation...it sounds like it's well deserved.

From what you've said, your itinerary is most likely the same as mine in Feb. It was the most relaxing vacation of my life, with a nice combination of excursions and, well, relaxing....especially on HMC, which, imo, is like heaven on earth.

We had an obstructed view on our Westerdam T/A this last spring. We had a great view of one of the lifeboats and could see some sky and water. Since we were not interested in the view, we found the cabin perfectly acceptable. We had booked this cabin before we had tried the inside staterooms.

This is a personal preference only, but we prefer the inside cabins. They are certainly less expensive and, on most ships, the inside cabins are the same size as the outside view ones. The bed layout on the inside cabins usually have the head of the beds against the wall where the floor to ceiling windows would be. This arrangement leaves more space for the sofa/chair/coffee table, in our opinion.

Since we are happy with the interior cabins, we will likely never again book anything but these. However, many people are uncomfortable without at least a window. Each to his own.

Normally I'm a cave-dweller, but I had a G-category on the Noordam---it's partially obstructed. I really couldn't see much, but did get those floor-ceiling windows and lots of light. It was a good-size room.

I also had an inside J-category on Main Deck on my second Noordam cruise. Because it's a quad it was a nice-enough size for me---I wouldn't want any more than two people in it, though! :eek: It was definitely smaller than the G-category.

My understanding is that the other inside categories, as well as the J-cats on other decks, are very, very tiny.

Hey ineed: I have always booked an inside cabin due to budget factors and (in the past) a huge single supplement. This time I was talking to my TA and she told me that category H and above had a tub. Yes, you heard me, an honest to pete tub. I was so excited I booked a category H immediately. The cost increase was small and I went with it. Check it out and see which makes the most sense for you. Looking forward to visiting with you on the roll call and again on the ship.

I'm trying to finalize my booking, and now that I have decided when and where (Westerdam, 10/21 E. Caribbean) I have to make a cabin decision. Due to budgetary constraints ;) my choices are either an outside cabin in category GG or H, or an inside cabin.

Oh, those pesky budgets! :p

On our last 2 Noordam cruises, we've had the same VD cabin & LOVED it. But for E-dam's inaugural next summer, the budget buster has required us to downgrade. We've booked a G-category cabin, just so we'd have those floor-to ceiling windows. We figure there's more light & a bit more of a view than a standard oceanview room.

To check out some additional photos of the G-category on Noordam, click 2007 Southern Caribbean on revneal's site: http://www.revneal.org/cruiselinks.html

Some folks like the absolute darkness of the insides. Some say they only sleep in the cabin so why spend a single penny more than necessary on the room. Some do a guarantee & hope for an upgrade, but then you have to be willing to be happy with what you paid for.

Just some things to think about. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful cruise. :)

Archived