Rome to Rom Feedback (Windstar-Windsurf)

kdsoup

Hello,

Looking at different options and Windstar continues to come up and I would greatly appreciate any feedback from the group.

Currently looking at the Rome to Rome in May 2015, as I review the current Rome to Rome trip this coming May 2014 with the Grand Prix; the trip sounds amazing as do all the locations. My wife and I would like to celebrate our 25th Anv. Somewhere special and thought what a great trip. We are in our mid 40's and very active, but also enjoy being beach bums or just kicking back and soaking up the views. During our first 8yrs together we cruised on 7 RCCL trips and did the Eastern and Western Caribbean as well as two trips to Hawaii on RCCL. Sense that time we recently been enjoying locations in Mexico at Adult All Inclusive.

Windstar now has the 2015 listings up and I would greatly appreciate the feedback on the Rome to Rome trip or other locations in the May time frame. As I have tried to read as much of the postings as possible, it sounds like arriving a few days in advance is nice to enjoy Rome; the board the Windsurf.

Any Do's or Don'ts...?

Feedback on the Windsurf...?

Thank You...!

Arriving early is always a bonus especially to overcome jet lag. Rome is a beautiful city with so much to explore. Even immersing yourself in the Italian Cafe scene gets you prepared for your special cruise on Windstar.

The Windsurf is beautiful. Lots of places to quietly relax in but also great spaces to meet others. Don't miss the sailaway on the back deck. Truly special. The crew is fantastic and by the end the sail we truly were sad to leave. It's that special.

We sailed Windstar Athens to Venice a few years ago. Unforgettable sailing into Venice in the early morning light. Dubrovnik is special. Only the small ships can anchor at the ports, larger ships are a few miles away and arrive by bud. This affords you to enjoy the city before the flocks of tourists arrive. We were in Capri on another lines small ship. Spectacular scenery.

It's a fantastic trip for couples, cannot recommend more!

• 2 weeks later...

MTJTraveller,

Thanks for the feedback, sorry the my delayed response.

Keep looking back and forth at the 2015 Options on Windstar along with other items and keep coming back to Windsurf and the Rome - Rome with Monaco Grand Prix; the trip just seems to be amazing.

Any feedback on picking Port or Starboard side for the trip...I am thinking Starboard side to hopefully allow a slight view from the porthole in the room and possibly get the Deck No. 2 (AX).

No problem kdsoup. Unfortunately Windstar cruisers are either reluctant to post on CruiseCritic or because there are fewer of them the boards are very quiet.

I would say if that trip catches your eye go for it. Our last cruise on the Windsurf was a starboard aft cabin and it seemed was always blocked of view while in port. Of course we were not in the room much while in port so it wasn't really much bother. Back deck was a fantastic place to watch as we sailed in and out.

I'm liking the look of Dubai to Athens in 2015 but wish the date better fit our life. Too close to college daughters return home. Perhaps 2016.

We did Nice to Rome on the Wind Surf and loved it. We then went 4 more times on the Wind Surf and are set for 2 more this summer. We did most of the same ports that are on your itinerary but especially loved Portofino & Portoferraio. It doesn't much matter which side of the ship you are on since you don't spend much time in your cabin anyway. The other Rome to Rome that goes south to Sicily & Capri is spectacular. It will be warmer than the one to Monte Carlo in May. Also, Monte Carlo & Cannes will be a zoo with the film festival & grand prix.

Hi kdsoup,

We will be doing the Rome to Rome with the Grand Prix package on the Star Pride in a couple of weeks. I will try to remember to get back to you to let you know how it goes. We have been on 5 Windstar cruises but the last one was in 2003. Going into Rome 2 or 3 days early is a must for us. There is so much to see and a lot of great restaurants as well as giving you time to adjust to the time change.

Polecat

We will be on the Rome to Rome cruise May 11 aboard Star Pride. This trip circles Sicily, Also visiting Capri and Malta.Suggest you arrive a few days early and see Rome, if you have not done so before. You will love Windstar. Always a special experience....totally different from large ship cruising. Windsurf offers a few more amenities...suites, 2nd dining room, larger gym, elevators. Starboard or Port really doesn't matter. I agree that Monte Carlo will be a zoo in May, but the ports are lovely. Any choice that you make will be wonderful. You can tell that we love Windstar. This will be our 11th voyage.