Zip line in Costa Rica - how strenuous

moonhunter

We are leaving for a Panama Canal cruise on 4/28 and have booked via princess a zip line and country drive tour in Costa Rica. We are both 66 and quite healthy but my husband had a fall off the roof and had a shoulder replacement. I figure I'm up for almost anything but wonder if this could be hard on the shoulder.

My husband went on this trip with the wife of the other couple we were traveling with. (I went on the jungle Larry tour with the husband.)

I just looked at some of the photos they took along the way. You had to climb up first of all, then up to a tree where you were hooked up one at a time to the cable. You were given sturdy gloves to wear and are put in a harness around your legs and lower torso. All of the photos show them with their arms above them, holding on to the ropes as you slide from tree to tree. It looks like there is some muscle power used to get you to the next tree as well. In all, I think they said there were 5 sets that you zip along, each one getting you down the hill and lower to the ground. When our two got down to the bottom, she had some difficulty with feeling faint. The harness had gotten too tight on the trip down. They quickly got her out and down to the ground, giving her water to drink. She was fine after awhile. It is very warm and humid in the trees as well!

I don't know how far along your husband is in PT and if her has full use of the arm yet. Why not ask the people who did the PT or his doctor to see if they think he could do it?

I knew our friend's husband couldn't do this tour so I was (very!) willing to go on this one with him. (I'm afraid of heights!)

I hope the medical staff think he is well enough to do it and you both can go!

We did this last year on PC cruise and I did fine. I'm not particularly athletic, 60 and a little on the fluffy side, but had no trouble. You do have to break with your hand in heavy gloves as previously described, so if there is any arm/hand weakness that could be a problem. It was a lot of fun and our group of 8 made it through the whole series. If you have height issues, are afraid or just change your mind, they will take you back to where you can watch. :)

I am 72 <also have had a triple by pass 2 years ago>and my DW is 66 and we both did the zip line with no problems. There is a short easy climb up to the first platform as well as a short climb up from the last platform but nothing that strenuous. The guides who work there <at least the ones we had> were excellent and made sure that the 6 of us in our group were well taken care of. As said in an earlier post, if you have a fear of heights this is not for you. At times you are standing on a metal platform 100 feet or more in the air waiting for your turn to go.

Would DW and I do it again. YES. It was exciting, awesome and exhilarating to be soaring through the rain forest.

Check out this video on You Tube.