First time cruising with Fred Olsen

Broch

Hi This will be our first cruise with Fred and after many cruises with Royal Caribbean I would be grateful for answers to my following Questions.

Some beverages are free ie in with the cruise price what are they?

Do they serve Chilled water in dining rooms and buffet?

I see that there are self service tea and coffee facilities in Palms. Are there any snacks outside mealtimes available?

Finally, is their absoultely nowhere that you can get anything to eat on embarkation. We hav an early morning flight followed by a 2 hour coach journey to the pier. Do they have the tea and sandwiches in Palms and Marquee at 3.30 on embarkation day?

Thanks ever so much for any help.

Hi we have been on lots of Fred Cruises, but suddenly have a blank answering your questions.....:-)

Here goes...

Beverages .... There is free coffee in one of the lounges. But can't think of anything else free. Drinks package at £10 pppn and you get free drinks.

Chilled water ....no idea if it's chilled, but the waiters fill and refill your glasses. Don't touch water myself.

Snacks outside meal times...........never thought about it, but no I don't think so.

Embarkation ...... For the life of me I can't remember. I can never remember getting on a Fred ship and thinking I am hungry and nothing been available , but others may be more help.

If RCI are your favourite line, you will really notice a difference when you cruise with Fred. So I suggest you don't compare them. Any reason for you trying Fred.

Sorry not much help, but there will be others on here who will be able to answer better.

Have a great time, and just wait for the Dolphin Racing.

Hi This will be our first cruise with Fred and after many cruises with Royal Caribbean I would be grateful for answers to my following Questions.

Some beverages are free ie in with the cruise price what are they?

Do they serve Chilled water in dining rooms and buffet?

I see that there are self service tea and coffee facilities in Palms. Are there any snacks outside mealtimes available?

Finally, is their absoultely nowhere that you can get anything to eat on embarkation. We hav an early morning flight followed by a 2 hour coach journey to the pier. Do they have the tea and sandwiches in Palms and Marquee at 3.30 on embarkation day?

Thanks ever so much for any help.

Hi, I can see that you have already received some useful answers.

I have also sailed many times on Fred's ships and I've had some memorable holidays.

Beverages included in the cost of the cruise are: coffee and tea, including speciality teas, and occasionally hot chocolate, all are self serve 24 hours a day in the Palms cafe and possibly the Marquee Bar.

Unless you have paid for a drinks' package, all drinks, apart from tea and coffee, will need to be paid for. Bottled water in the cabin, is also charged for. If you were offered a drinks' package at £10.00 p.p. per day when you booked, it is good value, as apart from the included standard drinks, it allows you a 50% discount on premium drinks and wine, not on the included list.

Chilled water (water with ice cubes) is served free of charge in all restaurants including the buffet during meal times.

Apart from the main dining times, tea, coffee, sandwiches and cakes are served in the afternoon between 3.30 - 4.30pm. In addition, if you prefer, a superior afternoon tea is served at a cost of approx £6.95 per person. Late night snacks are available in the Palms' cafe from about 11- 11.30pm. You may also order sandwiches and snacks to be delivered to your cabin, not available on embarkation, or disembarkation days.

Lunch on Fred's ships is never served on embarkation day. You will be offered afternoon tea at 3.30pm on embarkation day. I always suggest that passengers eat lunch before they board, especially if they are dining on late sitting. As you are arriving by coach, I suggest you buy something to eat on the coach journey.

You will have been allocated a dining table and time in the Ballindalloch, Spey or Avon restaurant. Apart from the evenings and lunch on some sea days ,when it is fixed dining, you are able to use any of the three restaurants, or the Palms cafe for breakfast and lunch. The Palms buffet occasionally has speciality evenings e.g. Indian or Chinese.

A cruise on Fred Olsen is absolutely nothing like a cruise on R.C.I., the ships are very small in comparison and do not offer the facilities of many of the larger ships. However, the food, service and entertainment is usually good and the staff friendly and welcoming.

You will be expected to comply with the recommended daily dress code.

Have a great cruise! :)

Edited by tigernut

Thank you for your replies. My main reason for choosing to cruise with Fred is that I want to experience the smaller ships and their advantages cruising in the Norwegian fjords.

I am grateful for the replies and I am sure I will enjoy the cruise.

Thank you for your replies. My main reason for choosing to cruise with Fred is that I want to experience the smaller ships and their advantages cruising in the Norwegian fjords.

I am grateful for the replies and I am sure I will enjoy the cruise.

It's appreciated when people offer their thanks for helpful replies.

I have sailed on some of the largest ships and also some of the smallest. I much prefer the smaller ships, as the sensation of being at sea is more evident.

The Norwegian fjords are beautiful and I hope you have a thoroughly enjoyable cruise. :)

It's appreciated when people offer their thanks for helpful replies.

I have sailed on some of the largest ships and also some of the smallest. I much prefer the smaller ships, as the sensation of being at sea is more evident.

The Norwegian fjords are beautiful and I hope you have a thoroughly enjoyable cruise. :)

Thank you your welcome

I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise on Fred. The staff are lovely and the entertainment and food are excellent. The fjords are fabulous, we went last year and every morning we woke up to another stunning view.

Have a great time :)

Thanks