San Juan Ideas

flhokie

We will be on MSC in November & one stop is San Juan. We will be traveling with DD who is 3 (she will be 4 in January). I'm trying to figure out what to do there. If we dock near the old town area I was thinking about checking out the fort or a hop on/hop off bus.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Our other ports are St Maarten and Great a Stirrup Cay And I have those figured out, but can't find a lot about San Juan as a cruise port (a lot of what I've found is for people staying on the island, not quick visits).

Del Morro fort is a great place to explore with a little one. It's not a bad walk from the port, and will take you through a scenic part of Old San Juan with shopping. I would recommend against a stroller, as the cobblestone streets will be challenging and the sidewalks are narrow. At that age, we used an Ergo carrier when our son got tired of walking.

There's a nice little children's museum (Museo Del Nino) across from the Cathedral de San Juan Bautista.

I can also highly recommend getting ices (piragua) or sorbet from the little street carts. Very cheap and refreshing. It's absolutely the kind of a port day that you can do on your own for very cheap. Get a book from your local libray for maps and walking routes.