Pompeii or Heraculeum

englishgal

Neither is really accessible.

You can get into some areas of Pompeii with the help of at least 2 people, but Herculaneum is down a number of steps, with no other provision for wheelchairs. If you do Pompeii, be sure to get permission to exit through the entrance. Can you walk or stand at all? If not, there are a number of places in Pompeii where you would have to be lifted in your wheelchair over obstacles. The exit is 4 flights of stairs with a turnstile at the bottom (and not gate). The entrance is a long steep ramp type path, with a number of single steps periodically.

I have always wanted to go to the Archaeological Museum in Naples -- it has the artifacts uncovered at Pompeii and Herculaneum, and reviews state that it is accessible. I have been to both sites, and agree that it would be very difficult to see much of either place using a wheelchair.

I did Pompei before I qualified for wheels. Fascinating place but I wouldn't go back as I am now.

There was a rather generously proportioned young lady with her mother, she took a bad tumble on the cobbles and they looked after her wonderfully after she hit the deck. I wouldn't risk it myself though. They tell me that Herculanium is better than Pompei but still not much fun unless you are quite able bodied.

Pisa is often on the same tour. It is much more wheelchair friendly, but it takes about 10 mins to see the best bits. I apologise for sounding so downbeat. Maybe the Naples museum is the place to go.

I have always wanted to go to the Archaeological Museum in Naples -- it has the artifacts uncovered at Pompeii and Herculaneum, and reviews state that it is accessible. I have been to both sites, and agree that it would be very difficult to see much of either place using a wheelchair.

Thanks, I think that we will try there instead

hi englishgal,

Pompeii is do-able by wheelchair! I use a power chair and we visited the site last summer off of a Celebrity Equinox cruise. We were let in through a side gate near the main entrance and were able to do a portion of the old city as well as the amphitheatre. The route we took was well marked and called "Friendly Pompeii". No steps, a ramp to the old vineyard, and generally level ground, gravelled paths. Pompei was amazing and we felt we got a good sense of the old city from what we saw. If you google "friendly pompeii" you will find more information and a map. Go for it!

Laurel

Archived