Have you ever used a video light for portraits?

I've been looking into purchasing a ring flash and have been somewhat dismayed by the options (extenders you slip on an existing flash) or a number seem sized for macro photography or the steep price of some of the dedicated portrait flashes. I then saw http://www.fvlighting.com/118150010201.html which if it doesn't work out for portraits would work for videography. Does this seem like a bad idea or the wrong way to do things?

I've been looking into purchasing a ring flash and have been somewhat dismayed by the options (extenders you slip on an existing flash) or a number seem sized for macro photography or the steep price of some of the dedicated portrait flashes. I then saw http://www.fvlighting.com/118150010201.html which if it doesn't work out for portraits would work for videography. Does this seem like a bad idea or the wrong way to do things?

Have you looked at the Alien Bees ABR800?

Very reasonable for a ring flash and loads of options and accessories. It can be used on a light stand as a regular main light too..

http://www.paulcbuff.com/abr800.php

On the original question, an LED light source is quite easy to white balance and I have used LED based video light panels for an impromptu light source with good results.

The ring light you referenced emits a bit more light than a 100w light bulb but should work fine for headshot or head & shoulder distances with f/4 or so at 1/60s. If longer distance is needed, you will likely need to open up you aperture, raise the ISO, use a longer shutter speed or all of the above.

At twice the price, the Alien Bees unit would require more of a commitment but produces vastly more light (can briefly overpower the sun at modeling distances) and would allow for motion-stopping shutter speeds.

If you want the ringlight for macro, the LED will be more than enough. For portraiture, you might want to seriously consider a strobe based solution.

p991711798-4.jpg

Dave

Edited by pierces

Thank you for your response. I was hoping to be able to get away with the LED as it can use an onboard battery pack. When I looked at the Bees it appeared to need a tether to the wall or power pack. I think I may need to head back to the drawing board.

Alien Bees make a reasonably-priced (for what it is) portable power pack called the Vagabond Mini that only weighs about 3½ lbs. It can be carried in a pouch or small sling bag and will provide power for 400-500 full-power shots. This would probably be a low estimate since full power at portrait distances or even normal modeling isn't usually needed.

Again, it depends on what you are targeting, If you want to do event portraiture or use it for outdoor fill flash, a strobe is a good option. If you are looking for a simple illumination for macro work or informal portraits of family and friends where motion is not an issue, the LED option may work for you.

Photography sometimes reminds me of the old drag racing days..."Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"

:)

Dave

• 4 months later...

I am not sure this is what you are looking for, but take a look at an Orbis It uses an ordinary strobe to make a ring flash or beauty dish. I have been using one for some soft fill in portraits.

Larry