Grenada Newbie needs advice

ILoveScotland

• 2 weeks later...
Have just booked cruise for next January that will stop at Grenada. I've never been there.

What are the must-see places? What about private tour companies?

Thanks.

We were here 20 years ago so no expert but we have been on 59 cruises so I must tell you the Ships Tours are just as good as any private tour and priced well. Last time we were here we did Seven Sister Falls then the beach. We are going back April of this year and my plan is to hire a taxi for my group of 8 go to the water falls then head to the beach from the beach I plan on taking the water taxi back to the ship. The falls to me are not to be missed and the beach in Grenada - Grand Anse is one of the best anywhere.

Edited by southernbreezes
spell

In April 2011, we took a tour with A & E Tours. We took the BEST OF NATURE tour. We reallly really enjoyed it.

http://www.grenadaguide.com/aetours/halfday.htm

We visited at a spice place, the waterfalls and a rum tasting stop. We fed monkeys at one of the stops. They are so cute. Our friend had a monkey on his back at one point and I was able to take a picture. My husband and buddy really enjoyed one of the rums, one of the best tastings we had on that cruise! It was quite fun.

One of the stops had ladies with fruit baskets on their heads. They want tips to take a picture with them. They were cute. At the falls, the guys want money to jump off the cliff.

We asked to end the tour at the beach because we wanted to stay there longer than 30 minutes. We found our own way back to the ship. The beach was beautiful. The whole tour was pretty cool. It was one of our favorite days on that cruise.

I hope this helps.

In April 2011, we took a tour with A & E Tours. We took the BEST OF NATURE tour. We reallly really enjoyed it.

We visited at a spice place, the waterfalls and a rum tasting stop. We fed monkeys at one of the stops. They are so cute. Our friend had a monkey on his back at one point and I was able to take a picture. My husband and buddy really enjoyed one of the rums, one of the best tastings we had on that cruise! It was quite fun.

One of the stops had ladies with fruit baskets on their heads. They want tips to take a picture with them. They were cute. At the falls, the guys want money to jump off the cliff.

We asked to end the tour at the beach because we wanted to stay there longer than 30 minutes. We found our own way back to the ship. The beach was beautiful. The whole tour was pretty cool. It was one of our favorite days on that cruise.

I hope this helps.

Yes, it does. I know we're almost 12 months away from the cruise, but I'm gathering ideas and will keep them until it's time to settle on a specific tour.

Thanks.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for you advise we just booked this tour at a cost of $35.00 per person. Sent them a email had quick reply we pay at the end of the tour. What a great price.:)

We loved Grand Anse Beach and it's so convenient to the ship - just a fairly short water taxi ride away and you can see the ship from the beach. We were content to stay there all day, but I think doing a tour then ending at the beach with some beach time sounds great. Then take the water taxi back if your tour doesn't include enough time there.

We actually had our excursion cancelled the morning of - the boat for our snorkeling trip broke down! So we were left at the last moment not knowing what to do. What ended up happening....a taxi drove by us with two other passengers already inside and asked if we wanted an island tour. We ended up getting in the taxi and for $20 each, he drove us all over the island and showed us all of the sights! We went to Annandale Falls, the crater lake, a spice demonstration, a rum tasting, and a stop at Grand Anse Beach just for a quick walk (had to cut this short since our ship was only in Grenada until 1:30pm). We had a great time!!

If you're a first-timer, I second the recommendation of Mandoo Tours.

St. Georges, Grenada

We arranged for a 4-hour half-day "Spice Plantation Route" tour with Mandoo Tours at $45 per person, plus tips. It ran from 8am to noon plus beach time. The spice plantation route is going to give you a great feel of the island. We visited the Douglaston Spice Depot where we saw a presentation on many of Grenada's spices, and where fresh quality spices were available for purchase. We drove through the lush volcanic mountains to where multiple spice plants, cocoa and bananas plantations were pointed out to us. Great photo shots. We visited Grand Etang Crater Lake where we saw our first Mona monkey. We drove through the rain forest and made a stop at Annandale Waterfall. At the end of the tour we were given time at the beach and then returned to the ship. We had lunch on the ship and then walked to Fort George, very close to the ship. We exited the pier terminal and turned right. There is a stairwell to the right of a tunnel. Just keep climbing until you get to the top. It's about a 15 minute walk up stone stairs and ramps. This might have been an awesome fort at one time. It has fallen into disrepair and is being used for multiple other purposes. Really too bad. However Fort George will give you lots of photo opportunities from its elevated point. Recommended!

If you're here for a beach day...

On our second trip we hoped to take it easy on Grand Anse Beach, a non-snorkeling 2-mile crescent stretch of sand not too far from the ship. Most folks take a water taxi to Grand Anse Beach for about $6 per person each way. The water taxi is about 1/2-block to the left of the ship (as you face the island). We opted to take a local bus ($1 US). The bus depot can also been seen from the ship. Just look for the 2-deck parking garage with a hundred mini-vans another half block from the water taxi dock. It's easy to catch a water taxi or bus in either direction to and from the cruise pier. If you take the bus, you want the Zone #1 bus to Grand Anse (and back to St. George). It's clearly written on the windshield. The bus holds about 14 passengers and the driver (working with a conductor) will work to keep it as full as possible throughout the trip. You will not save time taking the bus. You take it because you want to get a better flavor of the island and it's residents.

If you take the water taxi, upon arrival you'll get swamped with offers for chairs and umbrellas (among other things). I suggest you walk away from the dock, past the spice market, and settle in an area away from the heavier crowds. If you arrive by bus, get off at the Spiceland Mall, cross the street and walk 1 block down a driveway where you'll find yourself at a great beach bar and grill called Umbrellas. It's an airy, clean, comfortable restaurant with great food. Don't panic when you read the menu. The prices are in Eastern Caribbean Dollars and $1 USD = $2.70 ECD. We enjoyed their grilled barracuda (two thick nicely grilled mild flaky white filets) with a side of "rocket and potato salad". Rocket is a non-bitter local leafy vegetable. Lunch was awesome. We also ordered a locally bottled ginger ale and a bottle of their local Carib Lager. There was plenty of food for two to share. With tip, the total was $58 ECD (about $22 USD). Upon exiting Umbrellas, you'll find yourself on the less crowded section of the beach (3/4 down the beach from the water taxi dock). When your beach day is done, reserve your steps and take either the bus or water taxi back to the ship.

The skies were cloudy and it rained most of the day (sometimes torrentially). I estimate that there were no more than two dozen folks from the ship on the beach, and they outnumbered everyone else, except the vendors at the spice market. We had a great adventure despite the lack of an intended sunny beach day.

More "Secrets of the Caribbean": http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

First-hand information on excursions we've taken in over 20 Caribbean ports. With photos!