Travel Scoot or Manual Wheelchair???

punkin35

We are cruising on the Carnival Dream in a few weeks.

I am in a manual wheelchair temporarily due to ankle surgery.

Trying to decide if I should rent the Travel Scoot or just bring the manual chair?? :confused:

The Dream is a BIG ship and I know how tired my arms get just wheeling around the house.

I don't want to be a burdon to my family for them to have to push me around everywhere, and I don't want to be "stuck" if I want to go somewhere on the ship without them.

I have two small children and my husband, so the burdon would be on him.

Any suggestions?? I'm torn.... :confused: We are going to SeaWorld after the cruise and I booked an electric chair for that day ($45). I can rent the Travel Scoot for 11 days for $309...

We are cruising on the Carnival Dream in a few weeks.

I am in a manual wheelchair temporarily due to ankle surgery.

Trying to decide if I should rent the Travel Scoot or just bring the manual chair?? :confused:

The Dream is a BIG ship and I know how tired my arms get just wheeling around the house.

I don't want to be a burdon to my family for them to have to push me around everywhere, and I don't want to be "stuck" if I want to go somewhere on the ship without them.

I have two small children and my husband, so the burdon would be on him.

Any suggestions?? I'm torn.... :confused: We are going to SeaWorld after the cruise and I booked an electric chair for that day ($45). I can rent the Travel Scoot for 11 days for $309...

If the cost of renting is good in your budget I would say to go for the scooter. Being in a chair is no fun and although our loveones say the don't mind and will try everything to convince you that they will love doing it at some point it does become hard on them. While they may push you all day at the mall it is not all day every day. I would get the scooter. But do yourself and others a favor and go to your local grocery store and learn to use one. They are not as easy to use as everyone seems to think. I have been using one for years and still have problems backing up.lol Another thing is to make sure the children realize that this is how you "walk" and they should not get on the scooter. They do look like a lot of fun.

Rent the Scooter IF you are in a handicapped room OR a cat 11/12 stateroom. The only concern you have is where to put the scooter? You're not supposed to leave it in the hallway overnight. You could talk w the steward and matbe he/she can point to an area where you can store it. Also you usually charge the scooter at night, so you need to be near a power plug (always take your keys when you leave the scooter).

With that in mind these scooters will go about 5 = 10 miles on a charge (depending on toterrain). That means you can pretty much go anywhere when in port.

I need an HC room and always rent a scooter regardless if the ports are tendered.

Thank you all. I think I will. I did upgrade to a handicap room on deck 11, so I should be able to get in and out with no problem.

I'm looking at the Travel Scoot which is actually lighter than the manual chair.

I know my husband is saying it's "no problem" to push me, but I know he will get tired of that over the 7 days.

Plus, I don't want to have to depend on anyone if I want to do something he does not.

Thanks for helping make my decision. I think I will. I hate to spend the $$, but I hate worse to not enjoy my trip!! I had a 1 day rental at Sea World for $50, so I am thinking this is a better value :)

I'm glad you decided to rent the scooter! The ships are BIG, and the carpet is often really difficult to manage in a manual chair, even for those of us who use manual chairs regularly. I struggled along on my first cruise in my manual chair, but since then have rented a power chair (I don't have good enough balance to manage the travel scoot!), and haven't regretted it for a second. Yes, it costs $$, but the freedom it gives me is worth every penny!

I recently rented a T/S for a week for a trip and it greatly enhanced my vacation. You say "... I don't want to be a burdon to my family for them to have to push me around everywhere, and I don't want to be "stuck" if I want to go somewhere on the ship without them."

Therefore, if A) your budget allows, B) don't have any balance issues and C) you can prop your foot up on the foot pegs, ABSOLUTELY RENT THE T/S. I came home and bought one! (Talk about $300+ of sunk costs for the rental!!! :eek:... oh well!) It will take an unspoken burden off your family... trust me on this one!

I recently rented a T/S for a week for a trip and it greatly enhanced my vacation. You say "... I don't want to be a burdon to my family for them to have to push me around everywhere, and I don't want to be "stuck" if I want to go somewhere on the ship without them."

Therefore, if A) your budget allows, B) don't have any balance issues and C) you can prop your foot up on the foot pegs, ABSOLUTELY RENT THE T/S. I came home and bought one! (Talk about $300+ of sunk costs for the rental!!! :eek:... oh well!) It will take an unspoken burden off your family... trust me on this one!

Thank again!! I am going to call them 1st thing in the morning! Hoping they still have one, I'm less than 2 weeks from my trip now :)

Archived