Costa Rica & Panama

blondie99

Hi,

I'm working on booking a cruise for my birthday in February and am considering a Carnival one that goes to Costa Rica and Panama. Has anyone been to these ports?

It looks like Costa Rica offers more to do than Panama, such as volcanoes, riverboats with alligators and sloths. But Panama doesn't really show anything exciting, but going to a beach would be just fine.

I have a power chair that I use for daily use, however, I have a manual chair I can use out on the islands.

If anyone has any input on these ports and things I could do with at least my manual chair, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Hi,

I'm working on booking a cruise for my birthday in February and am considering a Carnival one that goes to Costa Rica and Panama. Has anyone been to these ports?

It looks like Costa Rica offers more to do than Panama, such as volcanoes, riverboats with alligators and sloths. But Panama doesn't really show anything exciting, but going to a beach would be just fine.

I have a power chair that I use for daily use, however, I have a manual chair I can use out on the islands.

If anyone has any input on these ports and things I could do with at least my manual chair, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Personally have not taken this cruise, but another couple I know did. His wife told me her husband stayed on the ship in Panama. Hard for him to do and really not much to do. The canal was the high point of Panama.

Last fall we went through the canal on Celebrity Infinity. Costa Rica was one of the stops. We docked in Panama in the evening after making it through and were told that, if we got off, not to leave the building that they had set up. They said it was not safe. While the canal was the reason for this trip, and truly amazing, the area is mostly industrial.

In Costa Rica, we had arranged a private accessible excursion. They had a van with a rather steep ramp that my scooter had some trouble with. We had a driver and a tour guide who spoke excellent English. We got to go anywhere we wanted and got all the inside info. Instead of buying the expensive local coffee at ship prices, they took us to a grocery store to buy it. We got to ride the tram up into the mountains, did some shopping, and ate lunch at a wonderful open-air restaurant on the beach.

If I could choose, I would go back to Cost Rica in a heartbeat. It is so beautiful. I'm sure you wouldn't have trouble getting around with a manual wheelchair. Not sure the van we used would work with the power chair. It might tip. They had to give my scooter a shove to get it up the last bit because of the angle.

I did the same Carnival cruise back in 06 shortly after my injury. We booked both tours thru Carnival. Costa Rica we did the rainforest since it was the only accessible tour listed but the only problem was the bus to get you there wasn't. Lucky for me my family can pick me up and put me on the buses.

Panama we took a tour to the Canal to one of the locks. It was awesome when we got there a freighter was just pulling in so we watched the whole process.

I use a manual chair

• 2 weeks later...

we also went on the Infinity last September/Oct and enjoyed Cost Rica. We went on a tour to the rain forest and the tour was good and they were extremely helpful in getting me onto the carriage to go up over the rain forest. I was very impressed. Do not get off a Panama, you will not manage and also it will be far better to stay on ship and experience the passing through the canal

Enjoy your trip:)

• 4 weeks later...
I did the same Carnival cruise back in 06 shortly after my injury. We booked both tours thru Carnival. Costa Rica we did the rainforest since it was the only accessible tour listed but the only problem was the bus to get you there wasn't. Lucky for me my family can pick me up and put me on the buses.

Panama we took a tour to the Canal to one of the locks. It was awesome when we got there a freighter was just pulling in so we watched the whole process.

I use a manual chair

Hi Steve,

I'm just wondering if it was the Gatun Lockes you went to and how you managed with the wheelchair. My husband & I together with our son(8) who uses a manual chair were there in March of this year and we had to lift him up over 40 steps to the observatory as there is no lift or wheelchair facilities there or so we were told?

Regards

Marian

Hi Steve,

I'll bet it was...........I had contacted the tour operator beforehand and he didn't tell me about the lack of facilities. But hey...we survived and we didn't let it ruin a wonderful cruise. We are going on Indy next April and I can't wait. Happy cruising Steve!

Regards

Marian

We stayed on the ship the whole time through Panama. It was awesome going through the locks and the area between them. One of the really fun things was waving and taking pictures of people/ships going the other way while they were doing the same to us.

Hi Steve,

I'll bet it was...........I had contacted the tour operator beforehand and he didn't tell me about the lack of facilities. But hey...we survived and we didn't let it ruin a wonderful cruise. We are going on Indy next April and I can't wait. Happy cruising Steve!

Regards

Marian

You guys sound like my family and friends. We never let a obstacle stop me from going anywhere! Happy cruising to you also!

• 2 weeks later...

I am from Germany so please excuse my english. We have been on the Equinox last January. My husband is in a wheelchair. He is not able to walk. We visited Panama and Costa Rica. in Panama we had an arrangement for a private tour with an agency of a swiss lady. As she was't there when we left the ship ( she forgot the date) we took a taxi to the Gatun locks. The kids and I went up the stairs ( about 40 I think) while the taxi driver brought my husband to a place without steps where he could see all the ships coming through the canal.

In Costa Rica we booked a private tour by okeydokey tours. They were very good. helpful, english speaking and the van had a ramp. The driver and the guide helped my husband in and out of the van. There were no real safety belts for the wheelchair, but they drove careful. We saw a banana plantation, had a boat trip on a canal ( as my husband didn't want to go on the boat, they drove him to a nice beach restaurant) a nice lunch and a little cit tour in Puerto Limon. A nice day!

I am from Germany so please excuse my english. We have been on the Equinox last January. My husband is in a wheelchair. He is not able to walk. We visited Panama and Costa Rica. in Panama we had an arrangement for a private tour with an agency of a swiss lady. As she was't there when we left the ship ( she forgot the date) we took a taxi to the Gatun locks. The kids and I went up the stairs ( about 40 I think) while the taxi driver brought my husband to a place without steps where he could see all the ships coming through the canal.

In Costa Rica we booked a private tour by okeydokey tours. They were very good. helpful, english speaking and the van had a ramp. The driver and the guide helped my husband in and out of the van. There were no real safety belts for the wheelchair, but they drove careful. We saw a banana plantation, had a boat trip on a canal ( as my husband didn't want to go on the boat, they drove him to a nice beach restaurant) a nice lunch and a little cit tour in Puerto Limon. A nice day!

We used this same service last Fall. They are so nice. The only problem I had was the ramp was a bit steep for my scooter, but the guys gave it a little push so it worked. Was the restaurant they took you to the Pelican? We wanted to get some of the Costa Rican coffee. The ship was taking orders, but we went to a grocery store and got it MUCH cheaper. Having your own driver can really be a good thing.

Archived