POC Question - Sequal Eclipse

Stacycee

Hi. My fil just found out he will need oxygen 24/7. We are sailling in a few weeks and he has a Sequal Eclipse being delivered a few days before we leave. I looked it up online and it seems like this comes on wheels you have to pull. Are all POC's like this? He will have a wheelchair. Can it hook on the wheelchair or does someone actually have to pull it? Thanks for your help. We are all new to this. Any advise will be appreciated!!

Hi Staycee: I have a Sequel Eclipse and used it to cruise to the Mexican Riviera for ll nights and will be going to Alaska in Sept. The wheels are detachable and the unit can be carried separately. I either put mine on my walker or in the basket of my scooter. The one thing you need to remember is that it only runs about 2 hours on the battery if it is on constant flow. You may want to take a back--up cylinder for when you are not hooked to an electric source. When we travel by auto, it works great on the car battery. If you need cylinders, you need to make arrangements to have them delivered to the ship by a private company.

Kay

Hi Staycee: I have a Sequel Eclipse and used it to cruise to the Mexican Riviera for ll nights and will be going to Alaska in Sept. The wheels are detachable and the unit can be carried separately. I either put mine on my walker or in the basket of my scooter. The one thing you need to remember is that it only runs about 2 hours on the battery if it is on constant flow. You may want to take a back--up cylinder for when you are not hooked to an electric source. When we travel by auto, it works great on the car battery. If you need cylinders, you need to make arrangements to have them delivered to the ship by a private company.

Kay

Thank you sooo much for your quick reply! This is so new to us and they have asked my husband and I to arrange everything for them. Good to know about the battery life. I know they are getting an extra battery also. We are flying from LAX-SEA and then taking the cruise. The flight is over 2 hours. What do you suggest for a wheelchair? A scooter is out of the question because he can't see very well and that could be trouble! :eek: What do you do on excursions? Can you only go on ones that aren't very long? Sorry for so many questions!

Stacycee: I haven't flown since I started using oxygen but, as I understand, Sequel can be used on board. As for the tours, the operators are contracted to the cruise lines and it is up to them if they have accesible equipment. We did not do any tours in Mexico and the other problem was the sidewalks which didn't have ramps and are very narrow and crowded. We got off the ship and stayed near the dock. Since we are going to Alaska next month, we should be able to get around better. Hopefully, being a U. S. state, we will be able to get around the towns. We have been there 4 other times and taken the tours that interest us so we don't plan on taking any on this cruise. I think the White Pass RR has a car with a wheelchair ramp and though expensive, I enjoyed that. The salmon bbq was also good but you would have to push the chair in the dirt. I am not an familar with them, so I hesitate to comment on types of wheelchairs. Someone else probably has that info.

Kay

Stacycee: I haven't flown since I started using oxygen but, as I understand, Sequel can be used on board. As for the tours, the operators are contracted to the cruise lines and it is up to them if they have accesible equipment. We did not do any tours in Mexico and the other problem was the sidewalks which didn't have ramps and are very narrow and crowded. We got off the ship and stayed near the dock. Since we are going to Alaska next month, we should be able to get around better. Hopefully, being a U. S. state, we will be able to get around the towns. We have been there 4 other times and taken the tours that interest us so we don't plan on taking any on this cruise. I think the White Pass RR has a car with a wheelchair ramp and though expensive, I enjoyed that. The salmon bbq was also good but you would have to push the chair in the dirt. I am not an familar with them, so I hesitate to comment on types of wheelchairs. Someone else probably has that info.

Kay

Thanks again. The unit is approved for onboard the plane. I have arranged it with the cruise line also. I guess we just need to make sure we have enough batteries for travel time. Stacy :)

Stacy: Don't forget to take an extension cord. Cruise ship cabins are short on electric plugs and you may need one to recharge the batteries. Also, it is my understanding that the battery for the Sequel is what I would consider very expensive. It is not the price of your everyday AA or C cell. They are guaranteed 3 years so start at $100's+. If you need oxygen cylinders on board, I dealt with CareVacations in Mexico and will be using them again on our Alaska cruise. They have been good to deal with.

Kay

Stacy: Don't forget to take an extension cord. Cruise ship cabins are short on electric plugs and you may need one to recharge the batteries. Also, it is my understanding that the battery for the Sequel is what I would consider very expensive. It is not the price of your everyday AA or C cell. They are guaranteed 3 years so start at $100's+. If you need oxygen cylinders on board, I dealt with CareVacations in Mexico and will be using them again on our Alaska cruise. They have been good to deal with.

Kay

They are renting the Sequel. I think right now they have requested 3 batteries. Hopefully that will be enough. Thanks for the tip about the cord. I have added that to my packing list! This trip will be an adventure for all of us. In addition to taking my FIL we are bringing our 15 month old daughter. Should be fun! :eek: Thanks again!! Stacy

He will have a wheelchair. Can it hook on the wheelchair or does someone actually have to pull it?

My husband has traveled with the Inogen One. We use wheelchairs when in airport terminals. The people who push the wheelchairs are very inventive about moving your "stuff" with you. Usually DH sits in wheelchair and rests the Inogen on his feet on the footrests and his small bag with his meds on his lap. Sometimes the wheelchair attendant will pull his carry-on, and sometimes I handle my carry-on and his.

We bring a surge protector with a 6 foot cord so we can plug in the POC in the cabin and give it a little more flexibility. Many cabins are limited on the number and location of outlets, so that is very helpful.

Thank you. I plan on bringing a power strip and extension cord.

Stacy, just one thing to keep in mind - re transporting the Eclipse without wheels. The wheeled cart is removable but the Eclipse is quite heavy - between 20-25 lbs. I'd say. You might prefer to push him in a chair and let someone else pull the Eclipse along rather than try and put it on his chair or his lap, for example - it would be very uncomfortable. Also, those extra batteries, the car charger and the AC charger are very heavy attachments, they are not like lightweight cellphone chargers. All the best to you --- my husband uses oxygen 24/7 and travels with an Eclipse as well, though we have not flown since he got it.

Staycee.. you can get a cheap but large backpack to hang on the handles of the wheelchair and put the eclipse in there, it won't fit completely but will stick out of the top. makes it much easier to carry on the chair and you should have room in an outside pocket for extra batterys. leave the wheels on for when you are walking and then just put the backpack on your back.

:)

Staycee.. you can get a cheap but large backpack to hang on the handles of the wheelchair and put the eclipse in there, it won't fit completely but will stick out of the top. makes it much easier to carry on the chair and you should have room in an outside pocket for extra batterys. leave the wheels on for when you are walking and then just put the backpack on your back.

Stacy, just one thing to keep in mind - re transporting the Eclipse without wheels. The wheeled cart is removable but the Eclipse is quite heavy - between 20-25 lbs. I'd say. You might prefer to push him in a chair and let someone else pull the Eclipse along rather than try and put it on his chair or his lap, for example - it would be very uncomfortable. Also, those extra batteries, the car charger and the AC charger are very heavy attachments, they are not like lightweight cellphone chargers. All the best to you --- my husband uses oxygen 24/7 and travels with an Eclipse as well, though we have not flown since he got it.

Thank you all. I found a bag for the eclipse that can go over the back of the wheelchair. I think my inlaws will purchase that. There is no way we can wheel it along side my FIL in the wheelchair.

This is not something easy to plan. I know my husband and I will have our hands full with my in laws and our 15 month old. We will need a vacation from our vacation, but in the end, I know they will really enjoy this. Expecially since they haven't travelled in over 50 years!

Stacy

:)

One more question....How do you charge the machine? I was told by the company they are renting it from, that you have to be using it and plug it in. Is that true? So basically you can't charge a battery in the cabin while you are ashore?

Thanks. Stacy

Stacycee: I talked to Ben about charging the extra batteries and he said unless you have an extra charger (we don't have one) then the batteries have to be charged in the machine. It takes several hours to charge one of the batteries. I use my SeQual mostly in the van or in a hotel room and so the battery doesn't get much use. My thought would be unless you have a way to charge the extra batteries externally they would just be something heavy to carry around. I guess you would have to charge one battery, change it, etc. Have you checked the SeQual web site to see what it says? I have also talked to their tech support on occasion. They were nice people to deal with.

Kay

Stacycee: I talked to Ben about charging the extra batteries and he said unless you have an extra charger (we don't have one) then the batteries have to be charged in the machine. It takes several hours to charge one of the batteries. I use my SeQual mostly in the van or in a hotel room and so the battery doesn't get much use. My thought would be unless you have a way to charge the extra batteries externally they would just be something heavy to carry around. I guess you would have to charge one battery, change it, etc. Have you checked the SeQual web site to see what it says? I have also talked to their tech support on occasion. They were nice people to deal with.

Kay

I was afraid of that. The company they are renting it from are going to see if they can rent an extra charger. Otherwise, I found one they can buy, but it's expensive. We are going to have to carry the extra batteries with us because he will be using it on the highest settings, so the batteries will go quickly. We will have 4 total batteries. Thanks again for your help!

I have seen the chargers once or twice on Ebay so check there. you really will need one. just try to plug in any chance you get. you will really have to shuffle to have them all charge overnight. have you thought about o2 bottles just in case? the small ones are easy to carry and you can have them delivered to the ship.

I have seen the chargers once or twice on Ebay so check there. you really will need one. just try to plug in any chance you get. you will really have to shuffle to have them all charge overnight. have you thought about o2 bottles just in case? the small ones are easy to carry and you can have them delivered to the ship.

We are all set for the second charger. That will really help us out. I will just tell them to make sure one is charging at all times. Thanks again!

Staycee, something else I thought of ---- the provider may give you different lengths of tubing to attach to the Sequal. Since you mention needing to use the machine on its highest setting, be aware that if you use too long of a tube (more than about 20 feet), your FIL may find that he isn't getting enough oxygen, and the machine will likely not work on pulse (and pulse is the highest setting). I know this seems like a lot of information to absorb all at once, but my DH has run into a lot of "interesting" situations with his Sequal.

If anyone is wondering why they'd need 20+ feet of tubing, its so they can leave the machine in the bedroom part of the cabin, plugged in to the electricity and take the hose with them into the shower. Of course you can do it with less than 20 feet, but we happened to have a 40 foot air hose with us when we were traveling and discovered the machine would not put out oxygen that far at high levels, or on pulse.

Staycee, something else I thought of ---- the provider may give you different lengths of tubing to attach to the Sequal. Since you mention needing to use the machine on its highest setting, be aware that if you use too long of a tube (more than about 20 feet), your FIL may find that he isn't getting enough oxygen, and the machine will likely not work on pulse (and pulse is the highest setting). I know this seems like a lot of information to absorb all at once, but my DH has run into a lot of "interesting" situations with his Sequal.

If anyone is wondering why they'd need 20+ feet of tubing, its so they can leave the machine in the bedroom part of the cabin, plugged in to the electricity and take the hose with them into the shower. Of course you can do it with less than 20 feet, but we happened to have a 40 foot air hose with us when we were traveling and discovered the machine would not put out oxygen that far at high levels, or on pulse.

Thank you for the good info! If you think of anything else, please let me know!

Stacycee: I hate to be a wet blanket, but what are you doing for back-up in case something happens with the SeQual unit, itself. Mine is still under warranty and I just got it back from the manufacturer where it had to go for repair. Something was wrong with the filter system and the dealer couldn't fix it. It takes 2 weeks turnaround time. As far as I know, there is no oxygen available on board for use by passengers. If something should happen to the unit 4 batteries won't help.

Kay

Stacycee: I hate to be a wet blanket, but what are you doing for back-up in case something happens with the SeQual unit, itself. Mine is still under warranty and I just got it back from the manufacturer where it had to go for repair. Something was wrong with the filter system and the dealer couldn't fix it. It takes 2 weeks turnaround time. As far as I know, there is no oxygen available on board for use by passengers. If something should happen to the unit 4 batteries won't help.

Kay

Long story short. My in laws were watching my 15 month old daughter. When I picked her up from their house, he said he was out of breath. Well, yeah, I am also after a day with her. So my paraniod mother in law took him to the doctor the next day and insisted he get oxgyen and this whole thing went from there. This was 2 weeks ago. Yes the doctor said he should be on it, but the past few times I have seen him, he hasn't been using it. I know there is always a "what if", but honestly, I can't think like that. We have platinum insurance. If something happens, then it happens and we will roll with it. We have already said if he needs to be removed from the ship, then my husband will go with my inlaws and my parents will stay and help me with my daughter. I think I have pretty much done as much as I can now. I have informed all the necessary parties. Now to wait until next week when the machine is delivered and we all learn how to use it.

Thanks

Stacy

Stacycee, one last thing, I noticed you said the sequal was airline approved (it is, my Mom uses one) but also check with your airline, most require a letter from your doctor with detailed information and a copy of your Rx. most airlines have a template for this you can download, and usually must be dated for a specific time frame.

Archived