New Cruise Terminal in SF, what it like?

pris993

Just booked a cruise out SF for next year, wondering what the new cruise terminal experience is like?

Last time, we were not allowed into the terminal til a certain time, wonder if things have improved with the new terminal?

We like to go early, usually take a taxi in and would love to be simply dropped of at the terminal.

I think it's been open about 6 months. Nice Building but very poor crowd handling.

On a January cruise, the line to enter the building stretched out to the street. Also, no provision was made for handicapped passengers.

Disembarking was equally chaotic. Lines to leave the ship and down the entire gangway had passengers standing and waiting. It was like it was the first time they ever tried it.

Hopefully, they will learn and it will be improved by next year!

Thanks for your info, hope it does get better. Went out of SF many times in the past even at the old terminal and it was not a problem but in recent years doesn't seem like the port authority and cruise lines can seem to make it happen easily any more.

Cruised out of the new pier back in October and it was a breeze....both coming and going. No longer having to deal with the traffic on the Embarcadero and the luggage was taken quickly and efficiently. There might be a problem if the weather is not friendly as I didn't see any place to sit inside and the availability of seating outside is also limited if there is a long queue.

I also just read today that the teamsters strike has been settled and hopefully any of the bad experiences some had these past couple months will only be history.

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed in Dec from SF. LOVE the new terminal. We took the Vallejo ferry to SF and then walked to the terminal. It was raining a bit but I had packed all our stuff in plastic so no problem. The only problem we had was with the Longshoremen. But that strike is now over. We arrived at the terminal by 11:30am. Waited outside under a covered area next to the building until about 12:00. Went straight to the elite lounge, and had some coffee and a pastry. At 1pm we were the first group to board. What I love the most about the new pier is you can drive onto the pier and drop off a passenger and be on your way. However the BEST way to get to the pier in my eyes is to walk from either the cruise parking garage or to take a ferry to the city first.