scuba in Playa del Carmen

scubas

Has anyone used a scuba operator in Playa del carmen. I just found out that Carnival is deverting the Conquest for our stop there on November 18th. I do not know much about the area. Has anyone dove the cenotes?

If so which is best an Ocean dive, or the cenotes.

:) Thanks;

scubas

I have had a good experience in diving with Tankha (http://www.tankha.com/). I dove with Tankha for 3 days in February 2005, and found their operation to be very professional and would use them again the next time I'm in Playa. Their shop is located on 5th Ave. beteween 8th and 10th streets. They depart directly from the beach, about a block and half away from their shop. It's probably a 10-12 minute walk from the main ferry pier in Playa to their shop. You also may want to check out http://www.playa.info/ for more information on Playa Del Carmen. Usually their 2 tank trips depart around 9:00 AM, and return around noon. I did not dive the Cenote's on the last trip, but plan on doing that the next time I'm there, as the DM from Tankha recommended this highly. I'm not sure what your time constraints are, but I believe the Cenote trip is 4-5 hour's.

Hope this helps. :)

Scubas

What Bruce-R said is exactly what I would recommend. Dive the Cenotes. Make sure you wear at least a 3mm full wet suit. The water temp is 72 F year around and you can cramp up on the second dive. The cenote's that most of the ops dive are down in the Tulum area and involve about a 30-45 minute car ride including an off road ride into the jungle. Do a google search on Dos Ojos, Tajmahal, or Angelita and you will get a good idea of what they are. By the way Angelita is a unique dive in that it is deep(most cenotes are about 30 feet deep) and you enter a sulphur layer at about 100 feet. Look it up and you'll see pictures. I've spent weeks diving the the Cozumel, Playa Del Carmen area(PDC). I usually stay in PDC. While there are a lot of great dive ops in PDC I've always dove with Sealife Divers(www.sealifedivers.com). If you dock in PDC and not Coz the dive shop is about a 1/4 mile north of the dock on the beach. Good luck and whether you dive reefs of caverns you certainly going to have a great time in PDC.

• 9 years later...