July 4 fireworks tampa and buying soda before boarding

scraphappylady

Hi all,

We're on the July 5th sailing on the Legend out of Tampa, but we'll be in the area on the afternoon of July 4th and were wondering if anyone knows a good spot to see fireworks that night. :confused:

We don't have a car, but are staying at the Holiday Inn Rocky Point, which supposedly has free shuttle service in a 5 mile radius from the hotel. Barring that, we could take a taxi somewhere, but my biggest fear is of not finding one to get back, if it's late when the fireworks are done (not sure how late taxis might run). :eek:

Also, is there anywhere either close to the hotel or near the pier to buy a 6pk of soda before the cruise? I don't really want to walk more than a few minutes lugging heavy soda, and I'm pretty sure the hotel shuttle would not want to stop for us at a grocery store.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!:D

-Cathy

Schrapp . . . .

We're also booked there. I did a Google and there's supposed to be a WalMart and Walgreens within a 5 mile radius. The shuttle is supposed to be available if its not booked up. We've been wondering what we're gonna do that evening? I know poster mentioned some fireworks should be downtown, nowhere specific.

The main fireworks show in Tampa is held downtown, right by where the cruise port is located. They shoot the fireworks from a barge in the channel that the cruiseships use to get in & out.

There are a number of good places from which to watch/see the show. They have a big party at the Channelside entertainment complex (located immediately adjacent to the cruise terminals), with live entertainment, food & drink. There are a number of restaurants & bars in the complex, all of which will no doubt be crowded. You can also see them well from the SP Times Forum (aka the Ice Palace, where the local NHL team plays), or anywhere along Channelside Drive between there & the Channelside complex (that area is generally free of buildings that would obstruct your view).

Barring weather delays, the fireworks are scheduled for 9 pm.

The taxis will surely run late that night. Even on non-holiday nights, cabs are avaible WAY later than when the fireworks would be done (they can typically still be found at closing time of the local nightclubs, especially in the "entertainment" areas where the over-indulged need a ride).

Cost could be an issue, as it will be crowded & traffic will be tied up for awhile after the show - and the cabbie will surely have the meter running. If you plan to cab back, you might consider waiting an hour or so after the fireworks end, to let some of the traffic disperse.

As for the sodas, if you don't make it to a store in advance, there is a wine shop (Wine Design) in the Channelside complex (as mentioned earlier, right next to the cruise port). They don't sell 6-pack sodas, but do sell the 20 oz plastic bottles for prices comparable to what you'd pay for a single one in a convenience store ($1 or so). There is also a convenience store at the corner of Channelside & Kennedy, a couple of blocks north on Channelside from the cruise terminal. It would only be a few minutes walk & they would surely have 6 packs of soda, beer, and the typical things you'd find at a convenience store. There is also a Publix grocery store a 1/2 mile or so south of the cruise terminal.

Unless the hotel's shuttle is really swamped, they would likely have no problem waiting for a minute while you ran into a store to get something. They are there to serve the customer - you.

SeaPA1,

Thanks for such detailed info!! I had heard of Channelside, and now I think we'll take a look over there. No problem waiting a bit for a taxi - no real rush; it is good to know they run late though. And I hope I can hit something like the Publix you mentioned, if for nothing else than some better selection.

Again, thanks for the help!

Archived