Carnival Spirit Questions

Hi guys,

First post on here, so be nice!

I'm heading out on the Carnival Spirit next week for 10 nights with my partner and just had a couple of questions that I hope you guys can help out with.

Chef's Table

When do they usually do the Chef's Table? We are booked in already (via email) but there is no confirmation of when it will happen. Any further details would be good, I.e. How long it goes for, is it worth it, are drinks included etc.

Behind The Fun Tour

Has anyone done this tour on the spirit? I'm considering it, but 3 hours walking around the ship on the last day kind of turns me off a bit. I'm really only interested in going to the bridge, but if someone can convince me otherwise then maybe I'll do it!

Booking Tours

Can we book tours through the TV in the room like I've read? Can we do this as soon as we get on? Or should we just head to the tour desk ASAP when we board?

Drinks

Do they only sell Coke Branded soft drinks on board? I basically live off Pepsi max, so if they don't sell it I might bring on a case between us, which I think is allowed.

Sail away

Is there any event when we depart I.e. P&O? At the moment we are booked into nouveau the first night early (6pm from memory) but might change the time if we will miss out on anything special.

Dining

We have anytime dining at the moment. Anyone have any issues getting a table for 2 when they requested it? Nothing against meeting other cruisers, but it is nice to have dinner with just the two of us. Is there a certain place we should request etc?

Sorry, lots of questions! Thanks for reading and taking time to answer we appreciate it! We are so excited can't believe we are almost there!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will answer what i can

Haven't done chefs table or behind the scenes tour.

You can book tours as soon as you get on, i think you can also log onto the website and book before you get on up to 60 days prior to sail

There is no pepsi max on the ship, and you can take your own, just make sure it is carry on so it doesnt break in your luggage

No sail away on the 2 times i have been on

Dining,

You should be able to get table for two each time, but you may have to wait sometimes. We always had a table for two or four if our kids joined us

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi ,

The chefs table is held on a sea day. Ours was on the second sea day on a 10 day cruise. An invitation will be waiting for you in your cabin after you check in. As far as booking shore tours fastest is on the TV when you board but quick if there is no queue at shore excursion desk.

Geoff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi, Chefs table can be held on any day, they will send your invite the night before in your mailbox outside your cabin. Champagne and wine are freely availble during the 8 course meal, my husband and I went to celebrate his birthday and had a wonderful evening, you get a complimentary group photo and the recipe for carnivals choc melting cake too.

Enjoy, cheers maree

Welcome aboard Gav :)

I haven't sailed carnival so cannot help with much.

We don't like crowds so skipped the sail away party. (Sat on our verandah and got stuck into our carry on wine :D)

We also don't like each other that much :D so thought dining with each other and only each other would be torturous for 11 nights! :D we loved our table mates and hung out during sea days with them :)

We didn't do any ship's tours. Where are you sailing to? We had some great experiences on our own, and we are not adventurous!

They do their sail away party a bit different to P&O, it's in the adults only Serenity area and is basically an acoustic band playing chilled out tunes. It's a different vibe to P&O which is loud and energetic but I felt it suited sailing out of Sydney harbour and it's definitely worth going to, not to mention the views/photos are worth it on their own. Personally, I wouldn't want to miss sail away to have dinner at a specialty restaurant.

You can book shore excursions on your tv, or at the desk. On last Sprit cruise it didn't look like too many of them booked out. Unless you see something that you have to do most of the islands you don't need to organise anything and the bigger ones like Noumea its cheaper(lots!) and easier to organise them at the information centre.

Anytime dining is awesome, you just rock up when you're ready for dinner and most times you get seated straight away. They had heaps of 2 person tables so shouldn't be an issue, they seemed to be in less demand than the larger sized tables.

Have only done chefs table with P&O and it was great.

Only Coke brands onboard.

Thanks everyone for all the tips and responses!

Cruisin-M, you're right about missing the sail away... We depart at 5:30, so I would think if I changed dinner to 8pm that should be ok then do you think?

Cruise me crazy, we are going to Vila, mystery Island, lifou and noumea. We've been to all of them before (except I haven't been to lifou but my partner has). Should be good!

Maree, thanks for the info on chef's table! Sounds like it will be well worth it.. Even just for the dessert recipe!!!!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello Gav1990,

I along with my son-in-law and grandson did the Behind The Fun Tour on Carnival Spirit 18th January 2014. You have to book it at Shore Excursion desk as soon as you get on as it is limited to 16 persons.

I initially thought the price $95 was a bit steep but it worked out good value for money. First off you meet at the Piano Bar for snacks and BTF lanyard (which you keep) and pass, then Theatre for behind the scenes tour and talk, next the photo lab which was interesting, then Galley and meet Head Chef for more snacks and talk on food and service and inspection of galley and Group Photo. Next was engine Control Room where Chief Engineer gave a talk on engines, propulsion system and all things mechanical.

Next we saw the dry and chilled stores and garbage disposal and crew quarters and crew mess, laundry facilities. Then up to the Bridge, which was extremely interesting and Captain Binacchi was most accommodating, again more photos of group and individual, we finished in Nouveau Restaurant for discussion on Wagua Beef and champagne and cookies. We got a tote bag with some goodies and specs of the ship with the Hot Chocolate Pudding Recipe. Later that afternoon a tray of cupcakes and decorated strawberries were delivered to our cabin with compliments of the Head Chef.

We received 4 photos 8"x10" (small postcard size 6"x4" were selling for $15) with behind the fun tour stamped on the side. So overall it is GOOD VALUE and the time goes really quick. Enjoy. Rob.;)